Question about mount adaptors- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about mount adaptors

I am thinking of replacing my Elixir Rs with Formula RX. The Formulas do not come with the caliper mounting adapters. Can i use the mounts from the Elixirs? Are all mounts standard as long as i keep the same rotor size?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yes

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1911
    I am thinking of replacing my Elixir Rs with Formula RX. The Formulas do not come with the caliper mounting adapters. Can i use the mounts from the Elixirs? Are all mounts standard as long as i keep the same rotor size?
    The answer is no and yes! The adapters will put the calipers at the correct height no matter which manufacture as long as their for the same size rotor. The problem you can run into is clearance between the caliper and adapter which can be filed or sanded easy enough for clearance. I was going to use Avid adapters with my RX's but they wouldn't work without sanding so I used a set of Shimano I had instead. Special note these where for 160mm you might not have problems with bigger rotor sizes. I have had problems with trying to use Avid adapters with other brakes as well, I think it has something to do with the cps stack washers they use when running Avid calipers which lifts the caliper further off the adapter so they don't need to worry about clearance as much when they where designed. Just remember you don't use the cps washer with anything else other then Avid calipers.
    Last edited by bdundee; 11-15-2010 at 04:48 PM.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    The answer is no and yes! The adaptors will put the calipers at the correct hieght no matter which manufacture as long as their for the same size rotor. The problem you can run into is clearance between the caliper and adaptor which can be filed or sanded easy enough for clearance. I was goind to use Avid adaptors with my RX's but they wouldn't work without sanding so I used a set of Shimano I had instead. Special note these where for 160mm you might not have problems with bigger rotor sizes. I have had problems with trying to use Avid adaptors with other brakes as well, I think it has something to do with the cps stack washers they use when running Avid calipers which lifts the caliper further off the adaptor so they don't need to worry about clearance as much when they are designed. Just rember you don't use the cps washer with anything else other then Avid calipers.
    +1 do a fit up......I have a gut feeling it will not work.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

I ended up finding a good deal on some CRs and went with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1911
    Thanks for the replies.

I ended up finding a good deal on some CRs and went with them.
    Just curious why you would get rid of the R and go with the CR. It's the same brake except with pad contact adjustment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Just curious why you would get rid of the R and go with the CR. It's the same brake except with pad contact adjustment.
    One of the levers broke (plastic piece inside the mc).

The CRs have carbon levers and come in colors that match my bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0