Transition Blindside v5

New question here. Q: IS-adapter for Avid mech 203mm ("for TYPE-N" vs "for BB7") ?

I have an old Avid mech with 180mm/front rotor, and am thinking about swapping 203mm. My old caliper is "TYPE-N" (newer than "TYPE-F"), but before it was before "BB7" came out. For buying an IS-adapter for 203mm, do I have to specify "for TYPE-N" vs "for BB7", or are they all the same/interchangable?

I think BB7 & TYPE-N are very similar or exactly(?) the same, so I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about it. But I just wanted to double-check before I click "order".

Thanks for your info in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 05-08-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Type F is the original design (BBDB) that came with a 165mm rotor

Type N is the newer style (BB7)

http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/Avid...ul%20Guide.pdf

The mounts work with either though you may need to file off a couple of mm if you are using a Type F caliper.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Transition Blindside v5

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The mounts work with either

Just curious..., while on the subject, are those same Avid IS-mounts shared/interchangeable even among their mech calipers (Type-N, BB7) and hydro calipers (Juicy7), too?

Thanks again for the info Shiggy.
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 05-10-2006 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Just curious..., while on the subject, are those same Avid IS-mounts shared/interchangeable even among their mech calipers (Type-N, BB7) and hydro calipers (Juicy7), too?

Thanks again for the info Shiggy.
    - PiroChu
    Yup, all the same
    mtbtires.com

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. Just curious - Avid rotors & adapters modified (pre-SRAM vs post-SRAM) ?

I picked up a 203mm Clean Sweep rotor and a matching front-adapter, and noticed a few things...

=== ADAPTER part#1 ===

The new 203mm/front (int'l) adapter looks like this...

Then, I just checked with BTI site, and noticed that there are separate "203mm/front/int'l" adapters specifically to "10mm quick-release" forks (pic above) vs "20mm thru-axle" forks (no pic).

https://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=AV731029
    https://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=AV736023

Since I'm planning on using this on a 20mm/thru-axle fork, did I get a wrong part!?!? If so, would it still work safely anyway? (I ordered this from BlueSky as usual, but the drop-down options only had one choice for "203mm/front/int'l" size.)

=== ADAPTER part#2 ===

My old (pre-SRAM era) 185mm/front (int'l) adapter looks more like this, with "more-square" shape. (NOTE: pic below is not of 185mm/front.)

In comparision, I just noticed on BTI website (click on pic above) that this one looks like it's for "rear" instead!? I forgot where I had bought it from back then, but - if it said "rear" on it, I think I'd have noticed it back then. (I should take a closer look at it again at home later.) So, either I've been using the rear adapter on the front all this time for my 185mm ("Duh!" - yet luckily never had a prob), or maybe Avid changed the design with pre-SRAM vs post-SRAM era.

Just as a reference, the "current" 185mm/front (int'l) adapter supposedly looks like this, with "more-curved" shape...

=== ROTOR ===

The new 203mm rotor looks like this, with more spaced-out drilling (stronger & heavier?) along the surface that pads touch...

In comparison, my old (pre-SRAM era) 185mm & 160mm Clean Sweep rotors looks to have drilling more closely (flimsier & lighter?) along the surface that pads touch...

Is that a design difference between "pre-SRAM era vs post-SRAM era" models, or a difference between "203mm vs 185mm/160mm" sizes? Just curious...

Thanks for the further info in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-09-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Here is the mount list: http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/05-06AvidHardware.pdf

Every size rotor is cut differently
    mtbtires.com

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. 203mm/front/int'l adapters (for thru-axle vs quick-release fork) ?

Here is the mount list
    Wow, thanks for that list - very useful...
    On that note - bummer - I needed #8 adapter, while I received #5...

Blusky tech-support says (though not so convincingly-sounding) these two pieces are interchangeable/usable, and SRAM says (though not so convincingly-sounding) these are not inter-changeable/usable...!?

Anyone successfully using these 2 pieces mixed-and-matched out there?

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-09-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. specifically "QR20" ('04 Marz) vs any other regular 20mm thru-axle ?

On a closer look, I just noticed that #8 reads "QR20".

Does Avid/SRAM mean specifically for the now-discont'd '04-year Marzocchi "QR20" (or "QR20 Pro") drop-out? Or do they casually write "QR20" to mean any-and-all "20mm thru-axle"?

(FYI, the fork I want to put this on is '05 Z1 FR1 with "bolt-on" 20mm drop-out.)

Thanks again,
    - PiroChu

To use a #5 mount on a 20mm fork you need longer bolts and spacers between the fork and mount. Works but not the best solution.
    SRAM really needs to drop the "QR" from the QR20 description. It is just confusing now.
    mtbtires.com

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. Lastly, for my "education" purpose...

To use a #5 mount on a 20mm fork you need longer bolts and spacers between the fork and mount.
    Thank you, Shiggy! Per your helpful info, I will go on a new hunt for the correct adapter #8. (Hopefully somebody will have it, or I'll be left with the "spacer" method...)

Finally, just for my "education" purpose, could you tell me why exactly the caliper would need to be positioned slightly further towards the drive-side (w/ spacers & longer bolts), if/when trying to use an incorrect adapter #5 on 20mm fork, per your above description?

I'm novice-guessing that it's because the "disc tab" on the fork is either (A) located differently, or (B) of different thickness, when comparing the disc tab on - say - '05 AM1 (32mm stanchons with quick-release dropouts) vs '05 Z1 FR1 (also 32mm stanchons but with 20mm/thru-axle dropouts) - with only differerence being the sliders' dropout types. (Or, something else? )

Thanks again for all your helpful information - very much appreciated,
    - PiroChu

PS.
    Yes, I agree about Avid/SRAM correcting the typo, because I automatically think "2004 Marzocchi" when I see the word "QR20".

PPS.
    Also, it's kinda silly that Avid/SRAM even makes the adapter #5, because most fork manufacturers don't like people putting a 203mm rotor on a quick-release fork anyway.
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-09-2006 at 02:28 PM.

The lateral spacing for a front QR(100mm width) IS is different than a front 20mm (110mm width) IS. The rotor is further from the fork tabs on the 20mm.
    mtbtires.com

ride hard take risks
    Acid Wolf

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. CPS hardware - spacer for 203mm rotor ?

So I picked up the correct front-203mm-thru-axle adapter, and all has been working well.

Now, as an after thought, I'm wondering why the package for this new 203mm adapter didn't come with the thicker CPS-hardware spacers...?

A long time ago, when up'ed my rotor from default 160mm to 185mm (by buying only rotor & adapter), the adapter package included the 5mm CPS-hardware spacers to replace the 160mm-default 3mm (or was it 2mm?) CPS-hardware spacers.

Did something change over the years that now everything uses the same CPS-hardware spacers, regardless of rotor sizes???
    If still not, then do they have 203mm-specific ones (thicker than 185mm's 5mm ones)?

For my new 203mm, luckily my old 5mm ones that I had for 185mm seems to be working well.

Thanks for the info,
    - PiroChu

Members who have read this thread: 0