Pros/Cons of switching from hayes to Avid Mech- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pros/Cons of switching from hayes to Avid Mech

I've been riding Hayes hydros now for about 6 mos (came on my Enduro). I've already had to have one lever replaced/rebuilt after a crash, and am about to go through that again. Not to mention the hassle of either bleeding my brakes myself or taking it to the shop. My riding time is limited by work and kids, so anytime spent on maintenance is less time on the trail. I'm curious to know if anyone regrets switching from hydro to Avid Mechs. I've read all the great reviews on the Avids, and have owned Avids Vs (best Vs out there), which are still on my hardtail, but I'm hesitating over spending the $$$. Is there a cost in performance and really less maintenance?

Thanks in Advance.

There's no app for this.

try this 1st....

most of us here that ride in Vancouver, where crashes are normal (heck I suppose that's true everywhere ), loosen slightly the bolt that holds the levers in place; when you fall, the lever assembly then has the ability to rotate on the handlebar, and cuts down on lever replacements. In 3 sets of brakes (disc) I personally haven't broken 1 yet, and know of only 2 who have.

Give it a try 1st? Just my measly .02, Jim

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Jim C makes a good point, but it still doesn't cure the higher maintenance (bleeding, etc) that the hydros can have.

I've got a XTR disc up front and an Avid mech on the back. The mech has been trouble free and powerful, where as the XTR had the dreaded sticky piston at first (has since cleared up and been flawless for some time now). For low maintenance I don't know if it gets any easier than the Avid mechs. They are easy to allign, easy to adjust, and the pads are easy to get in and out.

For ease of maintenance, I've never had anything easier than the Avids.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004

I have switched and don't regret at all, Avid's are awesome. (nm)

no message

mtbr member

I made that switch, sort of...

...in that I rode a borrowed Trek Fuel for 3 months that had Hayes hydros. I was running Avid disks on my hardtail at the same time, and now run Avids on both my hardtail and my Ellsworth ID (on the ID, I have an 8" rotor on the front).

Bottom line? I like the way the Avids function better than the Hayes. I like the power more, the life of the pads more, and the progressive and adjustable feel of the brake (especially when combined with Avid levers).

The downside of Avids? Well, you have to adjust them as the pads wear, and you have to set them up properly in the first place or they just won't work right. You set the inner pad as close to the rotore as possible without it actually rubbing to prevent the rotor bending (which increases squealing), and you adjust the outer pads differently depending on your levers. With Avid levers, you adjust the outer pad as close to the rotor as possible, and adjust the lever with your lever adjuster. With non-Avid levers, you adjust the pad until yo get the throw and "feel" you want at the brake lever. Also, they can squeal a lot on some bikes/frames, especially when it's wet. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to when they do and don't squeak on me.

The only real risk here is that you will spend the money and like the Avids no more than you like the Hayes. I can't imagine you liking them less, but I suppose it happens.

Lastly, please note that I have XTR levers on my hardtail, and Avid levers on my ID. Yes, it makes a difference. People argue about this all the time, but I'm telling you that Avids are different and better brakes with Avid levers than they are with Shimano levers.

QUOTE=Sapper]I've been riding Hayes hydros now for about 6 mos (came on my Enduro). I've already had to have one lever replaced/rebuilt after a crash, and am about to go through that again. Not to mention the hassle of either bleeding my brakes myself or taking it to the shop. My riding time is limited by work and kids, so anytime spent on maintenance is less time on the trail. I'm curious to know if anyone regrets switching from hydro to Avid Mechs. I've read all the great reviews on the Avids, and have owned Avids Vs (best Vs out there), which are still on my hardtail, but I'm hesitating over spending the $$$. Is there a cost in performance and really less maintenance?

Thanks in Advance.[/QUOTE]
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No Regrets At All,just $$$ Savings

I have no regrets switching to Avid mechs. I used to have XT. The avid mechs are truly awsome. no problem at all. after installing them (easy too) i forgot all about having that damn thing attached on my bike. they just function well on what they are supposed to be. BONUS-much cheaper than other brand, more $$$ savings

We get titles?
    If you ride in the snow, remember that cables can freeze. Some of my buds use Avid cables and on a recent ride, one guy had no front brake at the end of a trail, because his cables were frozen. I suspect he ignored his front brake for a while, allowing it to freeze, but I don't believe this can happen with a hydraulic brake.
    Last edited by upNdown; 01-29-2004 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added