Promax Disc brakes Sticking?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Promax Disc brakes Sticking?

I was out riding and the back brake seems to stick.. if i pull in the lever good the caliper system gets stuck and i have to pop it back into place with my hand. Anybody know why this is?

On wuss patrol
    Perhaps a cable is frayed and hanging up in the housing or a housing is linked. Try disconnecting the cable from the caliper and then checking the travel of the cable and the caliper itself.

You might also check the manual adjustment of your brakes. Maybe they are worn to the point that they won't release completely?

Or you could take it to your lbs and pay them $20 to trace it down.

An upgrade to some BB5s might be worth a thought if you do any serious descents.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 05-22-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think its the caliper itself, i took it all apart and cleaned it. I think the part that moves in and out when the cable pulls on it is binding. I've been looking at bb5's and bb7's but i need to spend my money on forks for my dirtbike..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the same problem, no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the sticking. I said screw it and bought a set of BB7's. So glad I did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I know this is an old thread, but there appears to be a fix for the sticky Promax brakes. Old person (40K+ mile road rider) but new to MTB, I bought a Montague Hummer folder, used, to carry in our camper van. It had a Promax on it, which stuck and dragged incessantly. As stated here, nothing fixed it. Replaced the fork and put a BB7 on it and all was good.

I am getting set to sell the old fork, and took a look at the brake again. The problem appears to be with the o-rings they used not being compatible with the grease they used. They swell enough to make the barrel not rotate freely. I cut about 3/16" out of each of the o-rings and put it back together with no other changes, and it works perfectly. Looks like all that is needed to fix these things is getting the right o-rings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i had sticky promax junk brake (well still ahve them) and mine ended up being the cable getting hung up inside the housing........i bought a jagwire hyper set up and not only did it solve the issue..........the brakes work WAAAY better than they did before.

Members who have read this thread: 0