problem with hydro line connector insert- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

problem with hydro line connector insert

I am trying to install new hydro lines for Shimano disks.
    The threaded nut and the olive are slipped onto the housing.
    Then, there is a brass "connector insert" that is supposed to be inserted into the cut end of the line to give it some rigidity and to make the end of the line smooth and brassy.

I am having a hard time getting that insert all the way into the hydro line.
    They want you to hold the line with these little plastic blocks and "tap" the insert into the hose, but it really is putting up a fight and you can't really force something hard (the brass insert) down the throat of the soft housing without the housing simply bending, buckling or slipping through your grasp.

After a decent fight, I can get the insert about half way in. I have cut the housing a little so it's not like there is an imperfection (or thinness) in this particular section. It has mineral oil on it, so it should be adequately "lubed"...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

dang

that post sounds a little dirty if you're mind is already in the gutter...I was not trying so don't go there.

"Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

AZ
    banned
    Put the brass piece in the freezer to shrink it , heat the hose to expand it , assemble quickly .

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail610
    I ....
    They want you to hold the line with these little plastic blocks and "tap" the insert into the hose, but...
    do you have these blocks? I can't imagine it being very easy without them. If you don't just go to your lbs and ask if they have spares, they come in most shimano brake kits and get thrown away usually.

With the blocks it's a 2 second job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I do have the blocks and I did try using them BUT:

1. the cable seemed to slip through them anyway
    2. I was holding them with channel locks and vise grips because...
    3. the brakes need to be assembled ON the bike because the brakeline hose guides are solid (not slotted) so this all needs to be done on the bike. I thought about dragging the bike stand over to where the vise is and trying to make it all reach...but that seemed just a little too crazy.

The one insert went right in with a solid push of my thumb, this one wants to embarrass me in front of the whole interwebs.

will try the freezer trick, if that doesn't work, will drag the whole deal and see if I can get it to reach the vise... as someone's sig says "I'd rather be riding"

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail610
    I do have the blocks and I did try using them BUT:

1. the cable seemed to slip through them anyway
    2. I was holding them with channel locks and vise grips because...
    3. the brakes need to be assembled ON the bike because the brakeline hose guides are solid (not slotted) so this all needs to be done on the bike. I thought about dragging the bike stand over to where the vise is and trying to make it all reach...but that seemed just a little too crazy.

The one insert went right in with a solid push of my thumb, this one wants to embarrass me in front of the whole interwebs.

will try the freezer trick, if that doesn't work, will drag the whole deal and see if I can get it to reach the vise... as someone's sig says "I'd rather be riding"

Thanks.

Freezer shouldn't be neccessary, and the blocks are nice but again not neccessary...

Check the end of the hose very carefully, make sure it is cut square and true, open up the end with some kind of flat blade, like the ones for opening up cable housings....

If I remember correctly I used a small block of wood and gently tapped it home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Thanks guys.

Used the blocks, not the freezer.

All is good.

Members who have read this thread: 0