mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Piston Stuck In The On Position??!!!

I just took both of my wheels to my LBS to get trued. I was about to put the front wheel back on, but first decided to squeeze the front brake lever.... IDIOT!! This completely closed my front Avid Juicy 5 hyrdraulic disc brake. I was able to get the tire back on after a couple of tries, but the brake is majorly still rubbing on the rotor. After doing some research on the interenet I read that I should not pull the levers with the wheels removed because the pistons will get stuck in the on position..... TOO LATE!! Is there any way to correct what I have done or should I humbly bring my bike back to my LBS and have them repair what I have done??? Thanks for the help!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You just need to push back the pistons. Remove the wheel and use a large flat-bladed screwdriver to get in there and force the pistons back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

The Pistons??

Is the piston the actual plates that comes together to slow the bike down??? Thanks..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can get the flat bladed screwdriver in between the pads. You risk some minor damage to the pads if you're clumsy, but the force shouldn't be very big and they should push back.

Members who have read this thread: 0