Patent Pending - Disc Brake Development - Help a brotha out?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Idea! Patent Pending - Disc Brake Development - Help a brotha out?

Hello all,

I'm digging around trying to make contact with the major brake component manufacturers to discuss a patent I have applied for, and am looking to the respected network of athletes and business owners here to point me in the right direction.

I've gone the corporate route (i.e. website mining, social engineering, cold calling, Linked-In, etc.) but am trying to find a way to connect directly with the product development people within the likes of SRAM(Avid), Shimano, etc. in order to discuss the viability of this development with them.

It's still early in the development stage, but with some luck, timing, and hard work I hope to discuss it more fully with you when it becomes reality. I've seen and heard some of the great success stories here from athletes who thought, "man, there has got to be a better way..." and have revolutionized their respective industries.

Please PM me, don't reply here (for the sake of privacy) if you know (or are) someone in product development department. I appreciate very much your help.

Regards,

Jay

(if this should be moved to another forum let me know and I will gladly do so. If it is considered a "commercial" post and is unwelcome, please remove it or I will be happy to comply. Thanks.)

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    FWIW, I think it'd be really dumb to share anything about whatever you've got with them until *after* you've got the patent.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I'd tend to agree with Scrub on this one, you show them the idea and the patent isn't given and they say thanks, now fvck off and use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    FWIW, I think it'd be really dumb to share anything about whatever you've got with them until *after* you've got the patent.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Rogue Exterminator
    But you can share it with us. We won't tell.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you for your concern. I have already filed a provisional patent, thus securing the rights to the invention so that it cannot be duplicated. I have been advised by both my patent attorney firm and company retained lawyer that this, combined with a properly executed Non Disclosure Agreement will protect my interests while I seek to develop/sell/license the patent.

But, again, thank you for the concern.

Jay

Rogue Exterminator
    You can also try Kickstarter and do it on your own.
    Do you have a working prototype?
    I would imagine one would be very helpful.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    FYI long shot, SRAM is hiring - Senior Hydraulic Brake Design Engineer | SRAM

mtbr member
    If the OPs idea is something that can fix the Turkey Warble and what I deem bad seals of Avid brakes, then he could be a billionaire in no time
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDancer View Post
    FYI long shot, SRAM is hiring - Senior Hydraulic Brake Design Engineer | SRAM

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If the OPs idea is something that can fix the Turkey Warble and what I deem bad seals of Avid brakes, then he could be a billionaire in no time
    billionaire????

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Disclosure advice is good.
    Nobody seems to have contacts, my suggestion would be to go card collecting at one of the big events. If there's a seriously major expo around a bike event they sometimes let the development guys out of their cage. Ask for their card, and then call them up when they're not distracted by the hubbub of the occasion.

mtbr member
    All right, was exaggerating "a bit" but you get what I mean about those damn annoying Avid known issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    billionaire????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Easy fix - buy a set of shimanos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You should gauge the suitability of your IP counsel by whether they can substantially support your commercialization efforts. Many IP lawyers will work for a stake in the effort if they feel your idea has merit. You may want to shop around which would also give practice giving your pitch if useful.