b a n n e d

"Other" Floating rotors besides hope?

I know that a simple google search will tell me what is available . . . but what I also want to know is what people's experiences have been with said "other" floating rotors. I have a set of Hope M4/X2's on the way and am concerned about the Saw 2-piece not fitting up front due to its width. What others can/should I look at?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    why do you need a floating rotor? minimal weight savings and no other advantage

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    why do you need a floating rotor? minimal weight savings and no other advantage
    Dunno . . . I was under the impression that they helped prevent transfer of vibrations?

and they look cool? (if you can get them in purdy colors)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Dunno . . . I was under the impression that they helped prevent transfer of vibrations?

and they look cool? (if you can get them in purdy colors)
    Yes. They look cool!
    But there other options if you want color, like alligator windcutters:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/211...Disc-Rotor.htm

mtbr member
    I think the main thing about floating rotors (besides looking cool), is the weight savings. I know its not a lot, but the aluminum spider is also bigger and stiffer even though its lighter. They're supposed to resist warping, resist bending, and dissipate heat better. I don't know if I believe the heat dissipation part, but the rest makes sense.

b a n n e d
    sooooo in other words . . . floating rotors cost me more money and I get nothing from it?

(sounds like my wife! ))

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    sooooo in other words . . . floating rotors cost me more money and I get nothing from it?

(sounds like my wife! ))
    LOL!!!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I'm buying a set of floating rotors because I have noisy Elixir brakes, surely will help reduce vibrations.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    thanks to this thread I now I understand why my hope brakes have floating rotors
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been told that: "They help reduce heat transfer, vibration transfer, stay cool longer as well as maintain a sustained hard brake without warping and they can be lighter.

I bought 2 Hope floating rotors for my bike...in Pink! GREAT brakes rotors but, I have been told that the other branded rotors are equally or as good but not better than Hope.

Those lligator windcutters are fine for XC but are not great for sustained braking, they get hot VERY quick and can warp faster while cutting down the brake surface faster. They do look nice though, but they are in no way better or even close to being superior to the Hope versions other than say weight perhaps. What do I know though

What is the comparisons there on weight size for size - perhaps the Hope fall out a bit there

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yes. They look cool!
    But there other options if you want color, like alligator windcutters:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/211...Disc-Rotor.htm

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
    thanks to this thread I now I understand why my hope brakes have floating rotors
    Hey, wait a minute! This brake company named their lightweight rotors after a chick-flick (Hope Floats)???

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey, whats wrong with Chick Flicks, erm, I happen to like SOME of them, perhaps.

Bridget Jones Dairy is NOT one of them! Hate Tom What's-Face, what a loon!

b a n n e d
    Yeah, in all seriousness if I can fit the 2-piece rotors I will due to the weight savings (even if minuscule) and hopes that it prevents warping. I might also hope that the floaters will help dissipate some of the vibration that might arise. Plus the black carriers will match my motif better :-)

I know that the Hope Floaters will fit the rear brake, but I'm not too convinced about the front. Fortunately, due to a silly ordering mistake I have a set of each en route so I can try and fit the floaters and if they don't fit, then I have the solid's I can fit right away. I know that I can sand the posts/calipers, etc. to make them fit, but its not THAT important to me.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Pink View Post
    Hey, whats wrong with Chick Flicks, erm, I happen to like SOME of them, perhaps.

Bridget Jones Dairy is NOT one of them! Hate Tom What's-Face, what a loon!
    Uh-oh! I am fully busted!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    May be I am wrong on this point, but the Hope Rotors are standard width, are'nt they!? Meaning, they should infact fit any caliper yet, in saying that, the rotors "facing" width may be shorter or wider than some calipers ability to take? For example, my boyfriends (only friend but a good friend) Hope rotor is used on a Jiucy 7 I think it is and the rotor is not fully utilized! There is about a 1.8mm (?) gap of rotor not being used. Normal

Or maybe I can just talk alot of pap?!

Yeah, in all seriousness if I can fit the 2-piece rotors I will due to the weight savings (even if minuscule) and hopes that it prevents warping. I might also hope that the floaters will help dissipate some of the vibration that might arise. Plus the black carriers will match my motif better :-)

I know that the Hope Floaters will fit the rear brake, but I'm not too convinced about the front. Fortunately, due to a silly ordering mistake I have a set of each en route so I can try and fit the floaters and if they don't fit, then I have the solid's I can fit right away. I know that I can sand the posts/calipers, etc. to make them fit, but its not THAT important to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Uh-oh! I am fully busted!!!
    Yep, BUT, I still love you though! Pos rep for thinking of me.

b a n n e d
    May be I am wrong on this point, but the Hope Rotors are standard width, are'nt they!? Meaning, they should infact fit any caliper yet, in saying that, the rotors "facing" width may be shorter or wider than some calipers ability to take? For example, my boyfriends (only friend but a good friend) Hope rotor is used on a Jiucy 7 I think it is and the rotor is not fully utilized! There is about a 1.8mm (?) gap of rotor not being used. Normal

Or maybe I can just talk alot of pap?!
    Actually no. While the braking surface is a relatively "standard" width, the carrier is not, specifically, the rivets that bind the carrier to the rotor are slightly wider (I think almost twice as wide). Its the rivets that bind on the post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Aaaaaahhhh...I get you now!

mtbr member
    Actually no. While the braking surface is a relatively "standard" width, the carrier is not, specifically, the rivets that bind the carrier to the rotor are slightly wider (I think almost twice as wide). Its the rivets that bind on the post.
    This is correct, I had to file about 1mm off one of the washers on the caliper to get my front rotor to clear, all good now but!

mtbr member
    my boyfriends (only friend but a good friend) Hope rotor is used on a Jiucy 7 I think it is and the rotor is not fully utilized! There is about a 1.8mm (?) gap of rotor not being used. Normal
    Hmm, only a friend, but you call him "boy friend" and you say he is a "good friend".
    I can feel the sexual tension oozing from this post!

Sound like a great premise for a new chick flick!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Gecko View Post
    This is correct, I had to file about 1mm off one of the washers on the caliper to get my front rotor to clear, all good now but!
    Only one washer?? Sounds like you got either a warped rotor or something isn't seated properly. Unless perhaps the rivets aren't uniform. . .

What is your front wheel set-up (i.e., hub, fork, brakes/rotors, etc.)?

mtbr member
    Only one washer?? Sounds like you got either a warped rotor or something isn't seated properly. Unless perhaps the rivets aren't uniform. . .

What is your front wheel set-up (i.e., hub, fork, brakes/rotors, etc.)?
    On the lower caliper bolt, the seating washer protrudes slightly right where the rivets pass it. I filed it down til it was flush with adapter. It would just touch each rivet as it passed. That particular washer was the only place the rivets came close to the caliper.

Bike is a stock 2011 Spec Enduro with floating hope rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    I'm buying a set of floating rotors because I have noisy Elixir brakes, surely will help reduce vibrations.

Let us know if they help with the noise!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Gecko View Post
    On the lower caliper bolt, the seating washer protrudes slightly right where the rivets pass it. I filed it down til it was flush with adapter. It would just touch each rivet as it passed. That particular washer was the only place the rivets came close to the caliper.

Bike is a stock 2011 Spec Enduro with floating hope rotors.
    Oh, now I gotcha . . . I thought you meant the rivets on the rotor.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    XTR rotors are two piece rivetted construction as well....

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    XTR rotors are two piece rivetted construction as well....
    Yup, but they only come in Centerlock . . . i need 6 bolt.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I am using XT calipers with the Hope M4 saw tooth and they fit fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yup, but they only come in Centerlock . . . i need 6 bolt.
    You can get shimano floating in 6 bolt.

Shimano SM-RT86 Ice Tech 6-bolt Brake Rotors

I am running Hope Saw rotors with my Avid Elixir 5 brakes. Front rubbed the caliper alittle bit but sanded it self down after the first ride. Rotors aren't that much lighter than the stock Avid rotors.

Avid 185mm

Hope 183mm

Avid 203mm

Hope 203mm

b a n n e d
    Hey, since you have both Avid and Hopes, can you try and measure the WIDTH at the widest point?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    hopes rotors are wide, i had to file down my fox fork so they did not scrub. they are about 2mm wide at the base

b a n n e d
    So right about double that of the Avids (roughly)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    yes, I just looked at BB7s and Hopes just to be sure...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey, since you have both Avid and Hopes, can you try and measure the WIDTH at the widest point?
    the widest point would be the rivits. Is that the measurement you want or the widest part the pads come in contact with?

But it was the rivits that rubbed on the corner of my caliper near where it bolts to the fork. It just rubbed when I first put the brakes on and I coudln't figure out where it was rubbing but went away after the first ride. I found it later when I was bleeding the calipers and saw where the paint was rubbed off.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, the rivets are what I'm curious about. I find it interesting that the rivets are the issue against the caliper . . . kinda weird way to design a system if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think they essentially designed them for use with the Hope calipers, but with my friends XT 4-pot calipers, they are perfect. But, on the fox fork, the clearance to the post caliper mount is very VERY close, nay, not much more than a several thou? Maybe-ish!

With the XT floating rotors, they look great but the braking surface of the rotor itself is not that good I found. I mean obviously they work - dah, but, they do not seem to bite AS hard in comparison to the other rotors with differing rotor bite patterns. At least that is from observation and it is empirically made via a 6 month ride with borrowing another friend rig. Only an XC rig, fun no less for it though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Alu spider rotor is more bend steady during transportation.

Also look at a new Formula: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=64789
    Hayes http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=64406

mtbr member
    What's the deal with Hope floating rotors coming in 183mm size instead of 180? Do they need a special adapter? Do you use a different adapter for hope calipers than for other calipers?

b a n n e d
    What's the deal with Hope floating rotors coming in 183mm size instead of 180? Do they need a special adapter? Do you use a different adapter for hope calipers than for other calipers?
    This threw me for a loop too and I've no idea why they went with 183. I had to order the Hope adapters with the kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    good luck finding that anywhere
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39007

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    You can get shimano floating in 6 bolt.

Shimano SM-RT86 Ice Tech 6-bolt Brake Rotors
    good luck finding that anywhere

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    The Shimano rotors aren't floating rotors, they're just riveted (rigidly) to a carrier. Floating rotors have buttons, not rivets.

mtbr member
    Try Superstar Components. Have heard good and bad things about them, but nothing about their rotors. Might be worth a shot...?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index...7cc563f7b088ef

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    The Shimano rotors aren't floating rotors, they're just riveted (rigidly) to a carrier. Floating rotors have buttons, not rivets.
    Well that puts a new twist on things. Which ones are floating and how can you tell? And, if there is a difference, why are those differences not ever mentioned by any of the manufacturers?

b a n n e d
    Well that puts a new twist on things. Which ones are floating and how can you tell? And, if there is a difference, why are those differences not ever mentioned by any of the manufacturers?
    It's all about the "Gap" . . . . see HERE

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My Hope rotors are rigidly riveted to their carrier as well. There is zero freedom of movement between the rotor and the spider. Nothing floaty about it. I have no idea why Hope calls them "floating," other than the fact that it sounds fancy.

But they look nice.

mtbr member
    Shimano RT-76 rotors are the business. Noticeable increase in braking performance as well. That carrier seems to help. I've yet to have to true one. Oh and for what it's worth, they're dead silent, even on my Elixir CRs.

They don't have the Ice Tech like the new 86s (aluminum core between stainless steel outer), but these don't heat up much at all. I think the Ice Tech ones might wear faster.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey thanks, I just learnt something I did not know. Hmmmm, thats probably why they are inferior to the Hope versions as well as the Bite pattern.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think you're further from the truth on this point.

Why do think they use "Floating Rotors" on motorbikes!? Perhaps a short cut to understanding - not that I completely do either; would be to check the Wiki link to this. Or the Engineering forums on other tech sites.

Hope has really great rotors and not because i hope they do, it is just an engineering fact. Perhaps someone with more engineering credence than I could explain it better.

Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    My Hope rotors are rigidly riveted to their carrier as well. There is zero freedom of movement between the rotor and the spider. Nothing floaty about it. I have no idea why Hope calls them "floating," other than the fact that it sounds fancy.

But they look nice.

mtbr member
    It's all about the "Gap" . . . . see HERE
    I don't know if that link is completely accurate. I understood "floating", at least in motorcycles, to allow for side to side movement, not vertical growth, as it shows there.

I found this on a motorcycle forum on the internets, so take it for what its worth, but it seems to make sense:

There are three types of brake rotors: solid, semifloating, and full floating. With a solid rotor a single piece of metal is bolted to the wheel. With semifloating, you have a center piece and a separate outer part that the brake pads touch and the two are connected by a bunch of round "buttons" that allow a small amount of movement between the two. With full floating, the braking surface is relatively loose so that it can move around to hopefully become in perfect alignment with the pads. Full floating rotors are less likely to pulse than solid or semifloating rotors. Most race bikes have full floating rotors. Full floating rotors make noise at low speeds as the parts move around, since they're kind of loose. Semifloating rotors don't make the noise.

It is possible to convert some semifloating rotors to full floating using a ball peen hammer, but you don't want to try that if you're faint of heart.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think you're further from the truth on this point.

Why do think they use "Floating Rotors" on motorbikes!? Perhaps a short cut to understanding - not that I completely do either; would be to check the Wiki link to this. Or the Engineering forums on other tech sites.
    I don't think you understand what I said. I'm not questioning the usefulness of float - I am saying that Hope's "floating" rotors do not float. At least, neither of mine do.

They use them on motorbikes because allowing the rotor to float (or, move) relative to the wheel allows the rotor and caliper to align better. Cars typically give the calipers some freedom of movement to accomplish the same goal. But none of that is really in question.

Do you have Hope's "floating" rotors?

Does the rotor itself have any freedom of movement relative to the spider?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I don't think you understand what I said. I'm not questioning the usefulness of float - I am saying that Hope's "floating" rotors do not float. At least, neither of mine do.

They use them on motorbikes because allowing the rotor to float (or, move) relative to the wheel allows the rotor and caliper to align better. Cars typically give the calipers some freedom of movement to accomplish the same goal. But none of that is really in question.

Do you have Hope's "floating" rotors?

Does the rotor itself have any freedom of movement relative to the spider?
    Just thinking out loud, but is it possible that the rotor feels tight, but when it gets hot, the brake surface gets hotter than the carrier and thermal expansion loosens it a bit?

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just thinking out loud, but is it possible that the rotor feels tight, but when it gets hot, the brake surface gets hotter than the carrier and thermal expansion loosens it a bit?
    Maybe... If the rivets expand faster than the rotor, then that might allow for some float.

Has anyone actually seen that happen?

On the other hand, if the rotor expands more than the rivets, it would just get even tighter. You could get some fore-aft movement, but that wouldn't actually be used until you put the brakes on while going backward.