mtbr member
    Mar 2011

One Finger Braking Setup Issues

I'm trying to adjust my controls for one finger braking and I have a couple of issues. I've already moved the brake lever inboard of the shifter. Now I'm fine tuning.

The first is regarding shifter placement. My ride is 1x9 so this is only an issue for my right hand. My rear shifter is Sram, designed to up and down shift with thumb levers. I have trouble positioning my shifter to get both the up and down shift levers in comfortable positions to use with my thumb. Either I have to stretch really far with my thumb to reach the up shift, or I have to pull my thumb back and around to press the down shift. I still use my index finger to up shift like shimano triggers. If I keep my index finger on the brake, what do I shift with since both up and down shift levers are uncomfortable to operate with my thumb? Do one finger brakers regularly move their index finger between the brake and the shifter? I guess I should say that I've never been a fan of grip shifters so hopefully that isn't the common solution.

My second issue is more of a question I guess. I have BB7 brakes and cheap tektro levers that do not have a reach adjust. I'm thinking about getting speed dial 7s. When my brake lever is all of the way out (not applying any brake force), I can reach the lever with my index finger but it would be nice to have the reach a little closer. When I pull the brake lever all of the way to full compression (without applying extreme force), the lever stops and barely makes contact with my middle finger that is on the grip. My concern is that if I use levers with reach adjustment and shorten the reach, won't the lever end up close to the handlebar during full compression (unless the pad distances are adjusted)?

This is hard for me to explain, especially since I don't exactly understand how the reach adjustment works. I figure that they are both cable pull levers, and the lever needs to pull a certain distance unless the pads are moved closer to the rotor. If I reduce the caliper pad distances so that a shorter reach lever still stops before it hits my middle finger, won't that have less modulation?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
    Last edited by cbrinly; 07-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I thought even the cheapest levers had lever reach adjustment. Usually there is a set screw on the housing which pushes on the lever blade to put it closer.

Take a pic of your lever housing so we can see. If anything you could always drill out and tap a hole so you could put a set screw in to adjust the reach.

Take a pic first though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    As for the sram shifters. I usually position the shifter so it is tilted downwards so the paddle closest to your thumb is higher The shifter pod is almost pointed downwards.

But my levers are pointed downwards too. That is usually the problem. Most shifter pods are limted by the brake lever position.

Hope that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply Mauka. I'll tweak my shifter. It will take some time for me to get used to being all thumbs.

As for the brake lever, it definitely doesn't have a reach adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrinly View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mauka. I'll tweak my shifter. It will take some time for me to get used to being all thumbs.

As for the brake lever, it definitely doesn't have a reach adjustment.

Try moving your shifter closer to the grip. There is nothing that says your shifter had to be snugged up to your brake lever like they are. Also, as previously noted, there's no reason that they have to be tucked up right under the brake lever. Play around with your shift position. You should be able to find a position that will allow you to keep your index finger on the brake lever without removing it to shift.

As for lever reach adjustment. Yes adjusting the lever blade so that it is a tad closer will make it so that it comes closer to the bar with the brake fully applied. However with one finger braking set ups this is usually a good thing. As long as the lever doesn't contact the bar or grip, and it isn't beyond the flexibility of you finger, it's actually more efficient.

Keep tweaking your set up, you'll get it right for you. Just don't be afraid to move things around a little.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Also try moving the brake lever a little further inward to stop it from contacting your middle finger. You might need to reach inward slightly with your index finger.

When I brake, that little nub on the end of the lever might touch the side of my middle finger but they don't collide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'll continue to adjust the shifter to try to find the sweet spot. I think I'll really benefit from brake levers with reach adjustment. When I move the levers more inboard so that the nub of the lever barely contacts my middle finger when the lever is compressed, it is a bit hard to reach with my index finger when the lever is extended. I can tell that a little shorter reach would make that position much more comfortable. Thanks for the tips.