Old V breaks just arent working for crap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Old V breaks just arent working for crap

So I just picked up a Hoo Koo e Koo bike that was converted to a SS for 60 bucks, one of the fallouts was it only had a rear brake and it wasnt adjusted at all.. So I went to adjust it and couldnt get much out of it, Went to the LBS and got a cheap set of pads (Not sure if I am going to use the bike.. Dont want to spend a ton of $$) and threw them on. Adjusted them and really they wouldnt do ANYTHING. I can post a picture later, but they are the older post style. I sanded the rim down to get a good contact (I didnt sand the pad down), and adjusted them fairly well.. The lever is a little bit stiff and I lubed it up as well as the chain but It still barely stops at all...

This was going to be my dedicated trail bike but there is NO way I would take it out on a trail.. I wont even take it out on the street like this...

Suggestions?

Thanks all.

AZ
    banned
    Need a front brake , as well as quality cables , housing and pads . They can bee made to work well if you set them up properly . My two cents .

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Obviously I will need a front brake for the trails. However Im currently focused on getting this rear brake to work...

Do you really think the cable and housing is the issue? Im guessing the old cable is just stretching?

I was assured by the LBS that the pads that I bought would be fine.

Can I just replace the cable? Do I really have to replace the housing?

Thanks guys.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyrew
    Obviously I will need a front brake for the trails. However Im currently focused on getting this rear brake to work...

Do you really think the cable and housing is the issue? Im guessing the old cable is just stretching?

I was assured by the LBS that the pads that I bought would be fine.

Can I just replace the cable? Do I really have to replace the housing?

Thanks guys.
    A waste of time not to replace the cable and housing on an old bike with a stiff lever feel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Shiggy,

Im not sure what you ment by that.

Is it a waste of time TO replace a cable/housing if the lever is stiff

or

It is necessary to replace a cable/housing if the lever is stiff (as that is why the lever is stiff)

Thanks!
    Andrew

Shiggy,

Im not sure what you ment by that.

Is it a waste of time TO replace a cable/housing if the lever is stiff

or

It is necessary to replace a cable/housing if the lever is stiff (as that is why the lever is stiff)

Thanks!
    Andrew
    I thought I was clear
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    A waste of time NOT to replace the cable and housing on an old bike with a stiff lever feel.
    A bad cable and housing may not be the reason the lever is stiff but it is the most likely cause and one of the easiest and cheapest to do.
    mtbtires.com

Hi.
    Shiggy's sentence was neither clear nor proper English.

In simple words, the core problem with poor v-brake performance is most often cable and housing issues. You are wasting your time by not changing these things out.

FWIW, I've had great success with Jagwire brand brake pads. They're soft, so they wear quickly, but they're cheap and they have good stopping power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Boy: Mommy, can I have a cookie?
    Mom: Yes son, you cannot have a cookie until before dinner.
    Boy: So can I or can I not have one?
    Mom: Yes, you cannot NOT have one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    lmao, thanks for the laughs guys

Find a copy of "What is the Name of this Book".
    Most people misuse and misunderstand English.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Took it by my LBS, they showed me that I didnt have enough leverage on the the brake arms, (I didnt adjust the the arms at all..) So I loosened them almost all the the way and readjusted the the pads.. they work GREAT now! Also got a front break setup while I was there, $27 for something that will at least stop me now!

Almost ready to hit the the trails!

Thanks guys!!

PS, as for proper english, anyone notice I said "the the" instead of "the"?

Hi.
    Find a copy of "What is the Name of this Book".
    Most people misuse and misunderstand English.

You forgot a pronoun in your sentence. And it was illogical to state that not doing something would be a waste of time, when your inference was not clear.

Grammar like that may be acceptable in context, but not when in this case. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it was an abstract answer to someone looking for help, and all it did was serve to confuse the OP.

You forgot a pronoun in your sentence. And it was illogical to state that not doing something would be a waste of time, when your inference was not clear.

Grammar like that may be acceptable in context, but not when in this case. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it was an abstract answer to someone looking for help, and all it did was serve to confuse the OP.
    I would say my reply was in context when used with the quote from the OP.
    mtbtires.com

Took it by my LBS, they showed me that I didnt have enough leverage on the the brake arms, (I didnt adjust the the arms at all..) So I loosened them almost all the the way and readjusted the the pads.. they work GREAT now! Also got a front break setup while I was there, $27 for something that will at least stop me now!

Almost ready to hit the the trails!

Thanks guys!!

PS, as for proper english, anyone notice I said "the the" instead of "the"?
    No, but I did notice you repeatedly used "break" rather than "brake."
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No, but I did notice you repeatedly used "break" rather than "brake."
    Something about this error annoys me to the core. Not just in this post but in MTB lit everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRogers1935
    Something about this error annoys me to the core. Not just in this post but in MTB lit everywhere.
    Yeah, because when someone says their "rear break is rubbing", it's impossible to know what they are talking about. That could mean just about anything. Right? How can they expect anyone to help them, if no one could possibly understand their issue?
    Thank god we have people here that are ready to correct them. These forums would be in complete shambles and of no use to anyone if it were not for the valiant efforts of the grammar police.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

icalebkim
    Yeah, and some grammar police is just like the normal police, arresting people for absolutely no reason at all. Shiggy, that sentence is completely correct, except that it could be made slightly clearer. Endetta.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you sure you are talking about V-brakes, not cantis?
    Your mention of adjusting them, post-style pads and not having enough leverage on the brake arms makes me wonder. There's not much to adjust on a V-brake other than making sure the pad is hitting the rim.

New cables & housing (cheap and worth it) are definitely a good idea. If it's an older bike it could be you have V-brake levers and canti brakes or vice-versa, I believe the leverage ratios are different.

Members who have read this thread: 0