Is it normal for...- Mtbr.com
    pain Only Hurts for a min
    Feb 2010

Is it normal for...

So I have never had any noises coming from my brakes (except minor squeaks while it is raining) until recently. How that is it getting colder out I have noticed a increase in the squeaks and howling while braking.

Is it normal for disc brakes to make loud, howling like noises when wet and/or cold?
    Just a Kid chasing his Dreams

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by moutainkiller
    How that is it getting colder out I have noticed a increase in the squeaks and howling while braking.

Is it normal for disc brakes to make loud, howling like noises when wet and/or cold?
    Yes, it's normal, more for some brake brands, rotors and pad compounds than others. The colder weather means the pad compound hardens just a little resulting in more noise until they have warmed a little from use. They also should work a little more effectively as they warm but not overheat. Avids tend to be fairly noisy until dry and warm ime.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Feb 2010
    Is anyway to limit the noise, other than buying new brakes?

Never trust a fart
    New brakes could do the same thing. I'd try a set of organic brake pads first, with a quick scuff of the rotor with some sandpaper.

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    with a quick scuff of the rotor with some sandpaper.
    Why do this? To smooth it out so that it can start fresh with the new brakes?

On wuss patrol
    Why do this? To smooth it out so that it can start fresh with the new brakes?
    Yes. Couple things to keep in mind: organic pads are a little quieter but they do wear a little faster than metallic sintered pads and they fade a little faster under heavy braking.

Brake noise is a part of riding so it's necessary to learn to live with some.

Do a forum search in Brake Time with any questions or topics you are interested in and you'll learn lots.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Double check to make sure everything is tight. A loose disk, or caliper will increase noise/vibration..... New pads help too if they've been used/abused.

mtbr member
    My brakes aren't loud in the summer, but are more quiet in the winter with all the water and mud on them.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Brake noise is a part of riding so it's necessary to learn to live with some.
    I disagree with this. IME, my v-brakes have been dead quiet all season, even on stock pads. The only time I've had even minimal noise is when my rims get dirty. YMMV.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ how's the DH goin for ya?

ANYWAYS, you can try adding some graphite (I've been flamed for this before) to smooth out the resonance....honking esp.
    I personally have not done it on Organic pads - So if you have them, start off careful.
    On metallics it works great - the first few stops are going to be needed to be 'bedded-in' but after that, it should quiet a bunch (provided you have good caliper alignment etc)

OH! if you know graphite, a little goes a looooong way
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    New brakes could do the same thing. I'd try a set of organic brake pads first, with a quick scuff of the rotor with some sandpaper.
    I find organic pads to be total c**p and howl in wet conditions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    So I have never had any noises coming from my brakes (except minor squeaks while it is raining) until recently. How that is it getting colder out I have noticed a increase in the squeaks and howling while braking.

Fairly normal for disc brakes to make noise any time the conditions change. I have had dusty summer rides where the brakes started howling after a stream crossing and continued to until after the second creek a mile away.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by superjesus
    I disagree with this. IME, my v-brakes have been dead quiet all season, even on stock pads. The only time I've had even minimal noise is when my rims get dirty. YMMV.
    Now we weren't talking about lame a$$, outmoded, last century technology rim brakes were we?? Besides, you just proved my point with your admission of noise with dirty rims. As I said, learning to live with some noise is part of riding.

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Now we weren't talking about lame a$$, outmoded, last century technology rim brakes were we?? Besides, you just proved my point with your admission of noise with dirty rims. As I said, learning to live with some noise is part of riding.
    haha Play nice children!

Thanks for advice everyone...I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Members who have read this thread: 0