Noob Question: SD7 Install- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Noob Question: SD7 Install

Ok, so this is probably real obvious, but I am new-ish into mtb and have not messed with brakes much.

I currently have a GT Ave 2.0 disc with stock Tektro levers. They are ok, but I scored a set of SD7 levers dirt cheap and am looking forward to all the adjustability. Tonight I installed the first lever, and immediately noticed that the lever would go just about all the way to the bar before the brake would catch. It seems like the brake cables need to be about an inch shorter to produce some power on the caliper. To my eye, it seems like this is due to a much shorter distance from the cable stop to the part that pulls the cable on the SD7.

How can I fix this? I tried loosening the bolt on the caliper to shorten up the cable, but did not get any slack that way. Since it is cold outside and there's football on inside, I put the old lever back on and figured I would post here. I appreciate any help in advance. Hoping this is something simple.
    Last edited by heybrady; 11-18-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady
    To my eye, it seems like this is due to a much shorter distance from the cable stop to the part that pulls the cable on the SD7.
    That might be right. It could be that the distance between the barrel adjuster (where the housing butts up exiting the lever) and the cable anchor holder is shorter on the SD7 versus the Tektro lever.

I tried loosening the bolt on the caliper to shorten up the cable, but did not get any slack that way.
    If this is the case, then perhaps the Speed Dial was set so that the cable anchor is very close to the handlebar, which translates into very little cable pull compared to setting the cable anchor farther away from the handlebar. It may be that the amount of cable that the Tektro lever pulls is more like the "far out" setting on the SD7.

It could also be that once you loosened the pinch bolt on the brake caliper, spring tension forced it all the way open, taking up some of the available slack and requiring a LOT of cable to be pulled to get the pads to engage the rotor. try closing down the brake caliper with your other hand if you're using pliers to apply tension to the brake cable; better yet, use a fourth hand tool to adjust cable tension, and it will, be design, press against the brake (or derailleur) as it takes up slack in the system

Also, it wouldn't hurt to double-check that the housing hasn't shifted and is riding on the edge of an end cap, cable stop, or barrel aduster, taking up potential slack in the system.

HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

Members who have read this thread: 0