Noob Question... Brake lever tightened up all of a sudden?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Noob Question... Brake lever tightened up all of a sudden?

Hey guys,

Noob question here. I did a little bit of a google search and didn't really find what i was looking for.

Anyways I was riding my bike the other day and all of a sudden one of my brake levers tightened up like mid ride. What likely caused this and how do i loosen it up again? Do I have to adjust the lever or the brake? They are disc brakes btw.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mechanical discs, right?

Here's what happened: when you let go of the brakes at some point, a sticky/gummy cable didn't slip back through the housing all nice and smooth, and the housing it was in popped out of the stop it was resting in. Then, the edge of the housing caught on the edge of the stop, hung up and effectively "lengthened itself", giving you the effect of having pulled on the brakes a little. This probably happened right at the brake lever, so if it occurs again, look at the lever right where the housing comes out of it. Dollars to donuts, that will be it.

Of course, you could clean and lube your cables and that will eradicate this terrible pox from your world.

Hi.
    EBasil = truth.

Members who have read this thread: 0