Newest XT/XTRs vs newest X9s / X0s- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Newest XT/XTRs vs newest X9s / X0s

I'm doing a new AM build and have been a solid Shimano fan when it comes to brakes & never a big fan of Sram / Avid. The dudes at LBS said that Sram has stepped-up their game big time and the newest generation of X9 / X0 trails are superior and, for some reason I already forgot, Shimano has taken a step backward with their newest trail bike brakes. They highly recommend that I consider moving to Sram.

The other aspect that pushes me toward Sram is that I will be getting Sram drivetrain & Reverb so the controls just fit together so much better. Of course, a little weight savings is always nice too -but these considerations are minor compared to having good brakes.

Anybody have any opinions on this? If I decide to stick with Shimano, I will most likely stick with XT as it has always seemed that the price is not worth the slight weight savings w/ XTR, but please let me know if you feel different. Since I haven't had experience with Avids for a while, I would love to hear any thoughts you have on X9 vs. X0. Cost is not really an issue other than I just don't like paying significantly more for something that is not significantly better.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm inclined to call BS, I've now ridden 2 bikes with XO Trail brakes, one was a demo bike and the other was someone I met on the trails. In both cases the front was fine but the rear brakes squealed like Ned Betty in Deliverance. No thanks. They work well enough on the trails but they still have that godawful noise that Avids are known for.

As for XT vs. XTR, it's mostly ergonomics & looks, with a bit of weight savings. XTR gives you dimpled brake levers which feel nicer and slip less when it's wet & grimy. The master cylinder assembly is slimmer and doesn't look like cheap plastic, and the caliper looks nicer as well. For performance, I doubt I could tell the difference between them.

And your LBS BS'd you on Shimano brakes. Shimano's current XT brakes came out in 2011 and haven't changed since, they are a big step up from the older M775 and M975 brakes. The previous generation XT/R brakes were XC oriented brakes which didn't have the power of the current models.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You have to ask yourself has anyone at this LBS tested the new X9 brakes? I have 2014 elixirs on my bike and they suck as bad as ever. Maybe they did step it up but I heard they have a shit load of recals already for 2014. I would put my money in Shimano or if you want some real brakes get some Hope's. Either way you go I would stay clear of anything Sram and by trhe way Hope brakes have the adaptors to mount Shimano or Sram shifters, I have all X9 shifting on my bikes and use the adaptors on my hopes.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    The latest Sram brakes are slightly less garbage than the Sram of a few years ago... So in 15 or so years of trying Sram have come up with a slightly smaller piece of shit. No thanks. That advice would have me considering a different shop.

Everything you need to know about brakes can be summed up in 2 letters, the first is X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have both the XT and the XO trails. They both work well. I only had the rear "Turkey Gobble" on the XO's when the rotor was wet, but I took the time to bed them in to Avids procedure. The feel of the XO's is much less abrupt than the XT's. I think you could be happy with both, but if you are used to Shimano brakes, you might as well stick with them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the helpful input so far. I think I will stick with Shimano!

I am always suspicious when a LBS starts trying to steer you into something (need to unload inventory?, better margins for them?), but in defense of the LBS, I talked to 2 different people, both saying that they preferred the newest Avids and they did give their reasons (better modulation, pad wear rate, didn't like mineral oil, etc.), and they did seem genuinely sincere and had them on their own bikes. I don't really have another option for another shop, since this is the only dealer of this brand nearby.

mtbr member
    Hey fahza

Thanks for the rec of the Hopes - I have had great experience with everything they make but never used brakes - their hubs rule!

Which of their line is comparable to XT (AM-ish) brakes? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Hey fahza

Thanks for the rec of the Hopes - I have had great experience with everything they make but never used brakes - their hubs rule!

Which of their line is comparable to XT (AM-ish) brakes? Thanks!
    For AM I think they suggest the V4 or the newest one I think is the tech3 X4, 4 piston calipers. I have the M4 and I am a cyldesdale and they have no trouble stopping me at any speed, one finger OTB power. Some of their stuff is a tad heavier but they do have have race versions. I like to stop when I need to so a few grams here nor there dosen't mean jack to me. You may find one person whos not happy with them but have a gander around here and you'll see once you go Hope theres no going back.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    The dudes at LBS said that Sram has stepped-up their game big time and the newest generation of X9 / X0 trails are superior and, for some reason I already forgot, Shimano has taken a step backward with their newest trail bike brakes.
    Those guys have a bright future selling cars. Or mattresses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    for am i think they suggest the v4 or the newest one i think is the tech3 x4, 4 piston calipers. I have the m4 and i am a cyldesdale and they have no trouble stopping me at any speed, one finger otb power. Some of their stuff is a tad heavier but they do have have race versions. I like to stop when i need to so a few grams here nor there dosen't mean jack to me. You may find one person whos not happy with them but have a gander around here and you'll see once you go hope theres no going back.

e4.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Always remember that a mechanic's opinion of a product is much more likely to be based on how easy it is to work on rather than straight up performance. Avid brakes are ever so slightly easy to bleed and work on and SRAM's warrantee service is easier to deal with than Shimano which may explain their preference. When you have the access tools and know how to fix things that a mechanic does your preferences can be a little different than the average use. I love my Avid XX Brakes...but I think it would be a different story if I had to pay to have them bled every three months or so.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I used XO's the last couple of years on my Jet 9 RDO and they were a big pain. I found them difficult to adjust and often had pads rubbing the rotor. They required frequent rebleeds as well. I've been waiting for the new XTR 987 Race brakes to come out and ordered them recently.

On my RIP 9 RDO is have the dual piston XO trails. So far these seem to be much better than the older XO's. I find the stopping power very good and haven't had an issue with noise. So far they haven't needed the frequent rebleeding either.

Finally, my Salsa Beargrease has Avid XX's on it. In winter riding they seem to be ok but not sure if they'll provide the stopping power in the summer. Too early for me to judge.

mtbr member

I have HAYES stroker since the last 3 years and I don't have to bleed them and also stop power is really good no issues. If they are heavy no problem as long work correctly and don't give any problems and by the way 25 pounds FS dual ring.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Go shimano. Unbeatable track record on brakes, and they use mineral oil, which is a big plus in my book.

mtbr member

I have HAYES stroker since the last 3 years and I don't have to bleed them and also stop power is really good no issues. If they are heavy no problem as long work correctly and don't give any problems

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I love the feel of the XT's on my HT, they have more feel to them. Whereas my XO's on my FS are either on or off, not much feel or modulation to them.