Newbie disc question...pads rubbing.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Newbie disc question...pads rubbing.

Hi, just had some discs installed. at the store there was not metal grating sound. Took the wheels off, but did not at any point squeeze the brake levers.
    On my first ride, i noticed that the discs are rubbing against the pads. I've tried removing and replacing the wheels, but they still rub. Are these normal break in issues?
    thanks

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    This issue is usually due to caliper misalignment. Loosen the caliper bolts, engage the brake lever and tighten the bolts back, and then release the brake lever.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then check for pad seating.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Personally the grab the brake tighten the bolts method never works for me. Tightening the bolts always seems to cause the caliper to move ever so slightly and hence rubbing ensues. I keep the brake open and eyeball the clearance between either side of the rotor and the pads. Slowly tighten the bolts and watch the clearance. Usually I need to hold the caliper steady at first.

Also, be sure your wheel is seated properly in the dropouts before you do this. Maybe the shop screwed that up.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    This issue is usually due to caliper misalignment. Loosen the caliper bolts, engage the brake lever and tighten the bolts back, and then release the brake lever.
    This method worked for me with my Avids BB's. but not Hayes Strokers. Looking at the gap between the rotor & pads I could see a gap on one side but not on the other. I 'shimmed' the caliper by putting a couple thin washers between the frame & caliper & problem was solved.
    No moss...

Members who have read this thread: 0