Newbie Disc Brake install question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Newbie Disc Brake install question

Hello Everyone,

Just got my wheels in, but have not gotten my rotors/bb7's in yet. What I think are screw holes for the rotor have non-threaded studs in them Do I remove the studs, is there an attachment or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    I'd be surprised if those were threaded in (no tool head). More likely pressed in and can be popped out with a screwdriver or a pair of pliers. Probably put there simply to protect the threads from damage.
    2010 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp
    2002 Specialized Enduro Comp (RIP)
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks,
    I tried to twist them out with pliers, but they seemed pretty tight in there.

mtbr member
    What kind of hub is that?

I've never seen studs in rotor holes before, and the thought just crossed my mind: if the hub is a cheapo no-name, it might not be drilled for a rotor, and those studs are permanent.

mtbr member
    There'd be no reason for the 6-bolt flange on the hub if it wasn't designed for a disc. Have you tried calling the place you bought the wheels from?
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    Looks like a modified center-lock to me. The studs fit into the 6 mounting holes on the rotor, and there should be a locking ring that screws into the hub shell, which from the pic looks to be threaded, but I can't really tell for sure.

edit with pic:

Like this, only built into the hub. Did the hubs come with some sort of locking ring similar to the one in the pic?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie Disc Brake install question-dtswiss-shimanocladapter.jpg  

"Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    ^^^That makes more sense.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Great! I'm glad I didn't start hacking at it. I'll confirm when I get home; in case you guys are curious.

mtbr member
    Good analysis!

Never trust a fart
    I will second that your hubs use a variation of the centerlock. Using a 6 bolt rotor with a centerlock ring.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Dirthead,

Good call!

Here are the pictures:

Any tips for installation or things to watch for?

mtbr member
    You have the special tool, right?

That sure is a weird hub. What is the point of an adapter that lets you use a standard 6-bolt IS brake rotor when it would have been easier to mount it to threaded holes on the flange? I could see it if that hub allowed the use of either a true centerlock rotor or IS rotor, but it doesn't, so the adapter setup makes no sense.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Kore All-in-one Hub

One hub can accept either Shimano Center Lock or 6-bolt International Standard rotors by exchanging the adapter.

http://www.kore-usa.com/tech_allinone.html

mtbr member
    OK, that makes more sense. In the original pics the IS flange does not appear to be a separate piece as it is in the Kore exploded view. Nice design, but I would prefer it in smooth black. The textured silver looks cheap, like pot metal.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Miami_son>

You are correct, on my hub it is one piece and there is no separation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdinosaur
    Miami_son>

You are correct, on my hub it is one piece and there is no separation.
    Then it is not like the Kore shown in the link previous. Are you sure it isn't some cheap knock-off? It makes absolutely no sense to make it that way. You can't mount a traditional IS 6-bolt rotor to it because of the pins in the holes and it can't take a Shimano center-lock rotor, either. If it were me, I'd like to know exactly who makes that hub just to be sure it is not some cheapo thing that might fail.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami_Son
    Then it is not like the Kore shown in the link previous. Are you sure it isn't some cheap knock-off? It makes absolutely no sense to make it that way. You can't mount a traditional IS 6-bolt rotor to it because of the pins in the holes and it can't take a Shimano center-lock rotor, either. If it were me, I'd like to know exactly who makes that hub just to be sure it is not some cheapo thing that might fail.
    It will accept a standard 6 bolt rotor. The pins fit in the holes (instead of bolts), and the lock ring securely fastens it to the hub. Just like a center lock adapter. I actually prefer using center lock hubs with 6 bolt rotors and an adapter. It's much easier and faster to mount the rotor, and I haven't found the connection to be any less sturdy than using 6 rotor bolts.

mtbr member
    My bad, I meant you can't mount a 6-bolt IS rotor conventionally to it (with 6 bolts). Unlike the Kore setup, it does not allow you to also mount a center-lock rotor, so what's the point? The only advantage I see to this particular hub is it allows you to change IS rotors quickly as long as you have the special tool handy. Not much of a selling point if you ask me.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami_Son
    My bad, I meant you can't mount a 6-bolt IS rotor conventionally to it (with 6 bolts). Unlike the Kore setup, it does not allow you to also mount a center-lock rotor, so what's the point? The only advantage I see to this particular hub is it allows you to change IS rotors quickly as long as you have the special tool handy. Not much of a selling point if you ask me.
    I agree. It definitely took more machining time to build a rotor that way, without really giving you any advantage. They had to drill the 6 holes, then put plugs in them, machine away and thread the area for the lock ring. If you could mount both 6 bolt and CL rotors, that would be cool, but it seems like a waste of time making them the way they did. It's definitely easier to put the rotors on, but once they are on, you really don't take them off, at least not very often.

mtbr member
    That's why I was worried they might be cheapo knock-offs. The Chinese will often try to duplicate something, but try to make it cheaper/easier to manufacture without really knowing what the original design was supposed to accomplish. Seen it many times.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Guys,

Thanks for watching out, I did call Kore and confirm with them. It is authentic, got me worried for a sec.

mtbr member
    Cool. I'm guessing that's a lower priced OEM version of the setup shown on their website, but it still makes no sense to me.
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

Members who have read this thread: 0