mtbr member
    Jan 2008

new slx vs old xt

I'm looking for a set of brakes (and rotors) for <$250 delivered... I've heard good things about shimano, and I'm trying to decide between the new slx or the old xt:
    Shimano SLX 666 + RT75 rotors
    Shimano XT 775 + RT75 rotors

My bike is a gary fisher big sur hardtail XC bike with a 100mm fork and XT drivetrain/shifters.

Is there any reason to prefer the new slx over the old XT?

T.W.O.
    They are the same brake with the function and performance. The XT is forged and the SLX is casted. For a few bucks more you can get the new 2012 XT on eBay. I know that you can pick up a set in Asia for $250. Tough choice

I just realized that the 666 is the newly design already, then I'd stick with the SLX unless you can find the XT at that price
    Last edited by mimi1885; 08-05-2011 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The SLX are much, much better. But it depends on how you ride: these are for something more than just lite-XC and definitely not for riding on slicks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by koral99 View Post
    The SLX are ... for something more than just lite-XC and definitely not for riding on slicks.
    You'd be amused to find out I'm using the SLX M666's on my Trek Soho with slicks (Bontrager race lite hardcase, 700c x 32). I really feel like I need the control these brakes provide. Just today, actually, I was riding behind a car and had to stop very fast because they didn't do what I expected. My error of course, but I didn't think for a second I wouldn't be able to stop with these brakes. My M415 mechanicals though, I would have been in the car's back seat

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilva View Post
    You'd be amused to find out I'm using the SLX M666's on my Trek Soho with slicks (Bontrager race lite hardcase, 700c x 32). I really feel like I need the control these brakes provide. Just today, actually, I was riding behind a car and had to stop very fast because they didn't do what I expected. My error of course, but I didn't think for a second I wouldn't be able to stop with these brakes. My M415 mechanicals though, I would have been in the car's back seat
    There's nothing wrong with having more power as long as you have the braking skills to control it, if you don't you'd lock up the wheel and no longer have control of a skidding lock wheels.

jsilva looks like your brake Kung Fu is good

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    jsilva, what I ment was they are so very strong and slicks has not enough grip to utilize all of the power they provide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by koral99 View Post
    jsilva, what I ment was they are so very strong and slicks has not enough grip to utilize all of the power they provide.
    A slick on pavement will have more grip then a knobby on pavement

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If it was as wide as knobby tire and ran same low pressure it would, maybe. It's all about contact area I think but who cares. My point was the brakes are very strong and will perform best in smth like AM riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the replies... Sounds like the new SLX (666) is probably the best bang for the buck, but I'll check out the new XTs (785) too if I can find a good price...

My current brakes are hayes so1e, so the bar is pretty low... I'm sure the SLXs will suit my riding level, although I might spring for the XTs for the bling....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As I understand it, slicks actually have more contact area on paved roads than knobby tyres. It does seem counter-intuitive at first. I've never skid the front tyre on my Soho, wet or dry, and I ride briskly (usually between 20-30mph) and often have to brake hard. I am a law-abiding, polite and aggressive London cyclist, the reason I wanted the SLX's - so I could ride aggressively and still be safe. They give me more control.

Here's a short thread on the issue of traction:

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...et-451395.html

Members who have read this thread: 0