new Marta, rotor rub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

new Marta, rotor rub

I've just installed a brand new set of Marta SL and after almost two hours of fiddling I can't eliminate brake rub. On the rear it's practically gone, but the front still rubs quite a lot.
    The caliper is already all the way out but one pad still touches the rotor.

These are some things I thought:

- maybe the pads are not fully retracted? One pad is completely inside the caliper while on the offending side it sticks out slightly. However the caliper is asymmetrical and it may be correct that way (the rear looks the same). Can any Marta owner confirm this?

- Maybe the rub is normal and will go away with a couple of rides when the pads wear in and self-adjust. The manual says so, but I still find it's a bit too much.

- Maybe I should just file the caliper hole a bit, so that I can push it out slightly more? I'm a bit nervous putting a dremel near a brand new brake that cost me a kidney, but if it's needed I'll do it. Rotor is mounted on an (older) centerlock XTR hub with a DT adapter. Fork is a 2010 SID.

Any tip will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I think that you may be on track with your thought that you need to ride the bike and bed in the pads, as the manual states. At least try that before you modify the new brake. Good luck. (I don't have Magura brakes, but will be buying a set of Marta SLs this month, so have been looking into them a lot, and recall the manual saying that rub on new brakes is normal.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The pistons may be a little sticky until the seals break in. They should loosen with use. I wouldn't expand the holes - having the caliper centered should help loosen the sticking piston.

You could push the offending piston back. Then watch the pistons while you pull the lever to see what happens. If the offending piston doesn't retract as much as the other one, pushing it back a few times might help.

ups and downs
    Until the pads are bedded in there can be some edges on them as well, so that process can give you the clearance you need.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Church of the Wheel
    Go here: http://www.magura.com/en/products/di...downloads.html

and download the "Mobilizing Sticky Pistons" document.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sticky pistons, this makes absolute sense indeed. Almost obvious now that I think of it.
    I'm glad I asked.

Thanks all!

Members who have read this thread: 0