New to Hydro brakes... Please help!!!!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    156

    New question here. New to Hydro brakes... Please help!!!!!

    Hi everyone,
    I just purchased a new 2008 Jamis Allegro 3X for my GF for Christmas. This is the first time I have dealt with disc brakes. I asked the bike shop owner if there are any special instructions/procedures to disconnect the brake (as you do with rim brakes) to get the wheel off. He said no, the wheel can just roll out once the QR is loose. So, I get the bike home in my basement last night and attempted to get the front wheel back on (I accidentally hit the brake lever without the wheel on, which I I think might be the issue). I could not seem to get the disc in the caliper. I worked on it for about 15 mins trying different angles/with the bike upside down and standing straight up. I eventually got the wheel completely on but then now the front brake is now rubbing. It's not rubbing too bad, it just doesn't spin freely. Is there a way to adjust hydraulic brakes, I really don't want to take the bike if I can fix it here. Being new to this I'm afraid I'm going to either break something. The wheel was not giving us issues at the bike shop as we rode it and everything worked until we got home.

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,364
    take a small flat screwdriver and push the pads back to reset them. Problem solved.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    231
    I usually remove the pads and use a small closed ended wrench to push the pistons back in until you have clearance. You can also lightly push the levers when the wheel is off if you want to get a tighter fit for stiffer braking, and use the above method to push the pistons back if it's too tight.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    143
    Go to youtube and search for "Resetting hydrolic disc brakes" and you can see several vids---you can do what these guys said, but run a small risk of damaging a piston. Probably the easiest and least risky way is with the screwdriver and the pads still in.

  5. #5
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ziglaf
    Go to youtube and search for "Resetting hydrolic disc brakes" and you can see several vids---you can do what these guys said, but run a small risk of damaging a piston. Probably the easiest and least risky way is with the screwdriver and the pads still in.
    It's spelled "hydraulic."
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    143
    Good Job. Afraid I won't be able to give you a cookie though.

  7. #7
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ziglaf
    Good Job. Afraid I won't be able to give you a cookie though.
    That's too bad. I'm actually really hungry.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    143
    Lol, no really, my wife makes good cookies too. You're just too far away...assuming your profile is accurate.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    156
    Thanks guys! I tried pushing the pads back with a Flathead and it free up the wheel a bit but it's still hanging up a bit. when spinning the wheel at fast speed you cannot tell it's dragging (you can only hear the brakes scraping the rotor slightly (but uniformly). The wheel appears to turn freely but when the wheel stops the reflector does not pendulum to the bottom. I'm going to call the LBS tomorrow and try to get this resolved. I'm a bit weary of damaging the brakes. Thanks again guys, the help is much appreciated.

    Steve

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan2207
    Thanks guys! I tried pushing the pads back with a Flathead and it free up the wheel a bit but it's still hanging up a bit. when spinning the wheel at fast speed you cannot tell it's dragging (you can only hear the brakes scraping the rotor slightly (but uniformly). The wheel appears to turn freely but when the wheel stops the reflector does not pendulum to the bottom. I'm going to call the LBS tomorrow and try to get this resolved. I'm a bit weary of damaging the brakes. Thanks again guys, the help is much appreciated.

    Steve
    I find that the "dragging" usually stops after the brakes are used several times. Mine do The pads just need to wear a bit to give more clearance. When I fitted new pads recently it took about 50 miles before the "rubbing" stopped.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.