mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New Elixir X0: Carbon or alloy?

Hello folks,
    I just get a brand new pair of Avid Elixir/ Sram X0 2011/12 brakes. I choose them against the Formula R1, because they are pretty sexy, a little cheaper (here in Europe), and come with carbon fiber lever blades.
    They look good, but I noticed some minor scratches on the front one. There was a little scratch on the lever, so I looked closer, and saw that the lever blade IS NOT made of carbon fiber . It's just anodized or painted alloy.
    I know that this is not the most important thing in my life, it's just I'm a little bit pissed of by manufacturers who sell products that are not delivered as THEY described.
    I just would like to know if someone experienced the same, or if I got the only non CF X0 levers brakes pair...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Hamster; 08-06-2011 at 03:49 AM.

FM
    mtbr member
    I think the OE XO brakes come with alloy levers, and the aftermarket versions come carbon with carbon fiber.

I bought a set of XO's here off MTBR classidfieds, probably take-offs, and they came with alloy levers. I had to warranty the front and it came back from SRAM with a carbon lever.. so I have one of each. They feel identical and you have to look pretty close to see their different.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Where did you buy them from? As far as I know SRAM don't sell direct. Why not just phone the place you bought them from before slating a well know company for a simple mistake not even made on their behalf?

My elixir CR's have carbon levers.

Yes they are real carbon.

Bike Attack Mechanic
    Jul 2011
    I have personally installed 3 sets of X-0s to date and they have all been carbon levers. Like it was stated above it might have just been a mistake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com View Post
    Where did you buy them from? As far as I know SRAM don't sell direct. Why not just phone the place you bought them from before slating a well know company for a simple mistake not even made on their behalf?

My elixir CR's have carbon levers.

Yes they are real carbon.
    I bought it from a very well known shop in Europe. I phoned them, and they told me it was normal stock X0 brakes. The packaging hasn't been opened. But maybe you're right, maybe the shop dismounted the CF levers and put some alloy instead... Even if that looks odd to me, if it's the case, I apologize!
    In fact, I just think, as FM told, that it's OEM brakes, and it seems that OEM brakes have alloy levers. But it's not mentionned, even on manufacturer website, that was why I was a little bit sad... But I'm pretty sure it won't hurt SRAM at all, as it's a very big company...!
    And I know that the Elixir CR have carbon levers, I had some, and they where great, that's why I wanted X0 breaks!
    And to avoid hurting you or anybody else, I changed the thread title, np.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    By the way: just did my first ride today with the elixir X0. I DO NOT regret my choice: they are incredibly good...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    By the way: just did my first ride today with the elixir X0. I DO NOT regret my choice: they are incredibly good...
    Give it a few rides . . .

Seriously, I hope you like the Avid's but I am done with them. I have a set of Hope's that just need to be installed and then the Avid's well get relegated to the commuter.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Good to hear

ps sorry, my earlier post came out a little grouchier than I ment it to now I re-read it

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Give it a few rides . . . .
    no doubt, my front xx lasted a month before the pistons stuck. The back is in hanging in there though, i'm just waiting for it to go with an mt8 waiting on the shelf. Briliant while it lasted

mtbr member
    My XO's have alloy levers as well. They came stock on a 2011Trek/Gary Fisher so I assume you guys are correct in that manufacturer OEM units come with the alloy levers. I know it's not a big issue but I'd like to swap mine out for the carbon if possible. Is it a pain to order carbon levers from SRAM?