mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New bike, Tektro mechanicals, WTF?

Hi all- I just purchased a new Jamis komodo. it has Tektro IOX Mechanical brakes.

I can't get my front brake adjusted properly to save my life. I can't get it to stop rubbin and it has rather weak braking power. The rotor has a slight "wobble" in it that i just can't seem to tweak out. They were "OK" when i picked the bike up from the bike shop but I tried to make them better but ended up making them worse. Bike shop is 45 minutes away so I really don't feel like running out there. Oddly I got the back adjusted pretty well. Feels better than the front.

Granted I don't have a hard-ride on them yet, but does anyone have any ideas. I played with them per the tektro manual but I just can't get them to work like my previous bike's shimanos did.(also mechanical)

I have no problems with upgrading to a better brake if it will actually be better. Performance has 2008 Avid BB7's on sale for $47 or so. Any brakes better for the price than these? ( I think I read 07's were better)?

Should I just wait until I have a few rides on the tektros?

thanks in advance

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008
    the Tektro mechanicals will never live up to your expectations of Avids or even shimanos. That being said, I would wait a few rides until the pads bed in and the cables fully stretch to ditch them.
    Another thing, is that quite often Tektro rotors are out of true right out of the box, you can either try truing them yourself, or get the shop you bought it at to do it as part of a "warranty check"

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    I would definitely say that the BB7's are the best mechanical disc brakes available for the money.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Dirt Deviant
    I had the tektro brakes on a couple bikes and currently have that same brake on the rear of my commuter right now.

When setup properly, and broken in (must be patient) they actually work pretty good. they don't modulate as well as BB7's but have good stopping power.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanks guys.

what is meant by "modulate"

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike
    thanks guys.

what is meant by "modulate"
    The ability to control braking power.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Members who have read this thread: 0