Need new Cables- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need new Cables

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Need new Cables

While installing BB7's upon upgrading my BB5's, I ran into a bit of trouble with the cables and housing that came on my 2010 rockhopper comp disc. It seems the BB7's require a bit more cable than the BB5's. Also my rear cable was frayed beyond the point of save and I actually couldnt even get it into the BB7's caliper.

My brother had a alligator cable/housing but it is awful in comparison and was a horror to install. I had lots of trouble even cutting the cable itself, let alone the housing. Is there a special tool for this?

I would like the best cable or cable/housing I can get at the most economical price. My bike came with Jagwire's, so if I can upgrade slightly I would like to. I think il redo both the front and back brakes.

I am using the Avid FR-5 levers, don't know if they should be upgrades also as they seem ok so far.
    Last edited by mikep7779; 11-25-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Meh.
    What? Wire? Cable?

The housing is sheath that the cables slides through.

The cable is the metal that slides through the housing.

Pretty much any stainless cable will be the same. Just pick a decent lined housing. Jagwire makes some decent stuff. Alligator cables and housing work fine.

You will not be able to easily cut housing or cables with a pair of scissors. Sharp cutters will do it. A Dremel with a cutoff wheel will do it. A set of cable cutters from the bike shop will do it.

Take it to a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I meant both the housing and cables and currently have the alligator installed and its like pulling a cable through rocks compared to the jagwire on the front.

Meh.
    Are you running Alligator i-links? With the little individual metal segments?

Sounds like user error of some sort to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    These are what I am using, sorry

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/157...th-Housing.htm

Can I just buy new cables and use the same housing on my bike.

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep7779
    These are what I am using, sorry

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/157...th-Housing.htm

Can I just buy new cables and use the same housing on my bike.
    No. don't do this/ Buy new cables and housing together. Go to your LBS and they will set you up with what you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree
    No. don't do this/ Buy new cables and housing together. Go to your LBS and they will set you up with what you need.
    Thats going to double the price of the whole procedure. I was more looking for recommendations of what to get rather than what to do.

Meh.
    It does not sound like you know what you're doing. I would rather pay once to have it done well than to attempt to do it twice and produce a mediocre result.

He told you to go get new cables and housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    everybody has to learn someway and somehow, why not now. Cables at the LBS are $10 each, Housing is $15 per cable and to install is $40 oer bike. Thats at 3 different shops around the area, thogh one has a housing/cable combo for $22 each brake, so I can save a few $. That's a total of $84 to install cables, or I can do it for $20.

Ride Everything
    If it feels like rocks when you pull the cable through the housing, it sounds like the end of the housing hasn't been cut properly.

Read this:
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Not to hijack thread but from that pic, would one use a dremel or something to get the finished product on the right side.

Meh.
    Yes, you can dremel to get something like on the right side. Use an awl to open up the inside.

10 bucks a cable? I have a hard time believing that. Where do you live? Cables around here are 2.50 a pop. Housing is 2 bucks a foot. Installing both brakes should be 40 bucks tops. Installing cables and housing and adjusting should run like 30 bucks.

I've never heard of housing being sold "per cable." Obviously a full suspension bike or tandem bike with full length housing requires a lot more housing than a kid's bike with partial runs or a small hardtail with partial runs.

You couldn't even figure out how to pull the pads out of the BB7... not sayin... but just sayin...
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 11-25-2009 at 09:55 PM.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    idk where mike lives buy I live in nyc and cables here run around $6.50 per. No idea about housing and stuff, ive just overlooked somebody else buying it at the LBS before.

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    I agree $10 per cable is wow, I guess though different prices for different markets.

If you don't know what you are doing a bike shop is the best, but more expensive, way to get things done.

If you are insistent on doing it yourself go out and buy: The Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair, or zinn and the art of bike maintenance.

If you could see if any shops but on winter repair classes or Park Tool Schools.

Members who have read this thread: 0