Need input - repair or replace my hydros?- Mtbr.com
    kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Need input - repair or replace my hydros?

So here is my dilemma. I have some Magura Martas, 2003 model. They have been great brakes, but not trouble free. They need bled yearly. On my last big ride, the rear brake lost power. They were fine mid-ride, but not at the end. I have since re-bled them and they seem OK. The rear lever/master cylinder assembly was replaced by Magura in 2006 under warranty

They now are in need of some maintenance - the front brake lever is sloppy and needs rebuilt. Both rotors need replaced. The rear brake hose is getting pretty beat up.

So - do I spend the $150 for new rotors/pads/hose/lever rebuild kit or just buy new brakes? What is the serviceable life of a set of hydraulic brakes? These have seen a fair number of miles. I would hate to dump this money into these just to have a caliper fail a year later.

Any input would be helpful. I am leaning toward new brakes, but hate to just throw something away if it is still usable.

Thanks for any help!

k3l
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    magura marta are good brakes.. currently i am still having the old magura louis i think it is the year 2000 model which has the brake pad adjustment at the caliper. the only thing i replace on my old louis was the lever.. i didnt replace it with magura lever as it was always giving me headache.. i use a shimano deore lever for it since both magura and shimano are using mineral oil. until now not a single problem experienced...

if you still have intention of keeping marta change the lever (i wouldnt recommend rebuilding due to the wear and tear in the master cylinder), replace the hose with goodridge, rotors and pads wise i believe u have quite a number of options in the market.

As for lifespan of the disc brakes.. i am still using the first batch of XT 4 piston.. it lasted me till recently when the pistons in the caliper start giving me problem.. i would love to keep that set of XT calipers and just replacing with the new XT levers and get myself a set of goodridge hose. but ultimately i would need to see if it can be repaired..

a friend of mine is still using the year 2000 formula disc brakes and keeping all the spares parts for it.. with just servicing and replacement of parts every year..

it would ultimately be your decision on what you want to do with your set of brakes. i have friends telling me to replace my set of XTs for the new ones. But i am still using it until now..

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Toughy....a new set of brakes will be $300+ at the minimum, but dumping $150 into the parts you mentioned which really won't extend the reliability of the system since you're not replacing either the master cylinders or the caliper is not a good solution either IMO. It can still fail on you or at least give you the same problems/frustrations/issues that you currently experience.

If you're looking to spend the least amount of money and getting new brakes, I would take a look at the Elixirs and the Shimanos....relatively cheap compared to Hope, Magura and Formula.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep...looking at Elixirs, Shimano SLX, Formula K18 or Hope X2. Don't want to spend more than $300 or so and have found all of these for around that or under. Don't really care about the 200 gram difference between my Martas and these either.

My other dilemma...it seems that every hydro brake has its issues. I like the Elixirs, but have read a lot about the warble problem with them. I have friends who ride Juicys and have had no problems with them at all. My LBS is pretty high on the SLX/XT brakes, but others say there is not much modulation with those. Who knows.

I plan to ride the Martas through the winter and probably buy something else...maybe.

Thanks for the response.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc
    My other dilemma...it seems that every hydro brake has its issues. I like the Elixirs, but have read a lot about the warble problem with them. I have friends who ride Juicys and have had no problems with them at all. My LBS is pretty high on the SLX/XT brakes, but others say there is not much modulation with those. Who knows.
    There are so many Avid brakes being used that the numbers of bad experiences are going to be higher than others. I trust SRAM's products. 3 of my friends have Elixirs. No complaints. All of my friends pretty much had Juicy's at one point or another. No real big problems to speak of (i.e. turkey gobble/squeal/sticky pistons). I use the bad experiences here to let me know of potential problems that may arise with particular manufacturers....but these are just tendencies. I don't see any of them being particularly really bad with QA.

Also, you're only going to hear from the squeaky wheel.....who knows how many POSITIVE reviews are out there.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    There are so many Avid brakes being used that the numbers of bad experiences are going to be higher than others. I trust SRAM's products. 3 of my friends have Elixirs. No complaints. All of my friends pretty much had Juicy's at one point or another. No real big problems to speak of (i.e. turkey gobble/squeal/sticky pistons). I use the bad experiences here to let me know of potential problems that may arise with particular manufacturers....but these are just tendencies. I don't see any of them being particularly really bad with QA.

Also, you're only going to hear from the squeaky wheel.....who knows how many POSITIVE reviews are out there.
    Thanks again for the response. I am looking hard at the Elixirs....reviews seem pretty good. Just trying to figure out if I need pad reach adjustment. Might just go with the 5s versus the R or CR.

At this point I just want something reliable...

Members who have read this thread: 0