Need input on brake selection for a noob with issues...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need input on brake selection for a noob with issues...

OK, I have come to the conclusion that the problem with my Tektro disk that came with my Hardrock isn't so much a lack of power but a lack of modulation and feedback, they are either on or off. Last ride on Saturday I sent over the bars as I was going down a fairly steep descent rather quickly as the brakes simply locked up half way down. It happens regularly and I'm tired of it.

Is the answer to just go with a decent hydro system? Will that give me more feedback and modulation I am missing with the mechanical's?
    Will going with a larger rotor on the new brakes increase feel/feedback/modulation or just creat a more powerful brake?

I was looking at something along the lines of the Elixir 5 of Code, maybe the Formula Rx.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Mudder
    Bb7

mtbr member
    I liked my mechanical brakes both BB7 and BB5 but like you said they did feel a little grabby and in my case I also wanted one finger operation so I went to 185mm rotors... they did need less finger strength to operate but made them feel a little more grabby.

I have been using Avid Elixir R's for a few years now and could not imagine going back to mechs... use R's on my trail and DH bikes (got a good deal on the last set and figured it would be cool to be able to mix and match parts if I broke something)

In the past I rented DH bikes with Avid Codes and didnt think they felt more powerful, I think the plus to those is they are supposed resist overheating and brake fade more than good "regular" brakes (we dont have 10 minute+ downhill runs here so its a non issue)

Quote Originally Posted by madsedan
    OK, I have come to the conclusion that the problem with my Tektro disk that came with my Hardrock isn't so much a lack of power but a lack of modulation and feedback, they are either on or off. Last ride on Saturday I sent over the bars as I was going down a fairly steep descent rather quickly as the brakes simply locked up half way down. It happens regularly and I'm tired of it.

Is the answer to just go with a decent hydro system? Will that give me more feedback and modulation I am missing with the mechanical's?
    Will going with a larger rotor on the new brakes increase feel/feedback/modulation or just creat a more powerful brake?

I was looking at something along the lines of the Elixir 5 of Code, maybe the Formula Rx.

Thanks in advance for any input.

T.W.O.
    I feel ya, new brakes would be better than your current one. Your situation also can be improved by move your body back when descending steep stuffs, it would prevent OTB. Better lever feel help you practice this skills.

mtbr member
    Yeah, when I started riding earlier this year I was going OTB allot, going balls out on the downhill, overcommiting, etc. but now that I've gotten better the few times I go over now its because of brake lock up, once I feel it and release its too far gone and my center of gravity is too high and forward.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan
    OK, I have come to the conclusion that the problem with my Tektro disk that came with my Hardrock isn't so much a lack of power but a lack of modulation and feedback, they are either on or off.
    As a first step, have you thought about trying Avid's Speed Dial 7 levers with your Tektros?

The SD-7 is cheap (<$20 for a pair on Amazon) and you can dial in the amount of modulation that you prefer. The adjustment (red knob on the front) changes the leverage ratio (i.e. you can adjust the ratio of the lever movement to the amount of cable pull). Winding the Speed Dial all the way out (so that the cable anchor is further from the lever pivot) will give you a larger amount (distance) of cable pull relative to lever movement but you'll need to pull harder to operate the brake (the brake will feel softer). Wind it all the way in (cable anchor close to the pivot) and you'll get more braking force at the pads for any given force on the lever but you'll need to move the lever a greater distance to get the same amount of actuation at the pads.

Everyone who raves about BB7s seems to recommend going with the SD-7s to get the most out of the BB7s and make them more 'hydraulic-like'. Look at reviews for the SD-7 here:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/brake...72_106crx.aspx

It'd be a cheap experiment.
    Last edited by Ulairi; 12-14-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0