Need brake recommendation for 29er: M4 or Mono mini- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Need brake recommendation for 29er: M4 or Mono mini

Like the topic states. I weigh about 200lbs and am currently running juicy 7's with 160mm rotors and want to swap them out for something that is more responsive and offers better feedback & modulation. I ride an Air9 29er and mainly ride singletrack trails with lots of roots. I do the occasional trip to the mountains of asheville, nc about 3 times a year where the conditions are more demanding on the brakes.

Which would be a better brake for my setup & riding: Hope mono M4 or Hope mono minis?

Thanks.

Double-metric mtb man
    At 200 lbs and riding mountains, I'd say go for the M4's.

I'm 235+ gear and find the M4's modulate exceptionally well and have gobs of power when you need it. I typically ride mine with 1 finger and even then if I panic brake, I can lock things up pretty quickly, even on asphalt.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What size rotors. THink I should go from 160 to 180?

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    If you don't mind the weight, the bigger rotors will give more power and better heat fade resistance. Unless you want light, no reason not to run big rotors.

Double-metric mtb man
    If your fork will take it, why not. Even if you just put a larger rotor on the front (where most of your braking should be done) it will make a pretty significant difference.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

I think I need to Upgrade
    Either brake would be an excelent choice. If you are not worried about weight go for the M4's, if you are go Mini's either way you won't be dissapointed. I would definately reccomend going 180 front and 160 rear regardless of which brake you go with.

Members who have read this thread: 0