Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...- Mtbr.com

Poll: What would you get?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Custom User Title

Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...

I have decided that I want to get brakes with tool less lever reach and bite adjustment. As it stands, I narrowed it down to the Avid Elixir CR and the Hope Tech X2.

I just wanted to see what most of you would get (between those 2) if you were buying new brakes.

My bike is a 09 Trek Fuel EX 8. I do mostly XC and aggressive XC and I weigh 200lbs.

...idios...
    Both are well regarded brakes, but the Hopes really are in a different league when it comes to quality. They're designed as high-end, and as can be completly overhauled and rebuilt by the user. Hope's customer service is excellent; although it's not something you're likely to need often. I know that Avids generally retail for less in the US, but they're at a similar price-point to Hope in the UK, something which makes either the Avids look massively over-priced, or the Hopes look incredible value. Depends on your point of view, I suppose!

Avids still seem to be suffereing with noise/feel issues. They appear to me as something of a lottery, although those who don't have problems generally seem impressed with the brake. Although I used Avid exlusively when I used V-brakes, I'm really unimpressed with their hydrauilc disc brakes. They feel cheap to touch and vague and flexy in operation. This may just be my perception in comparison to the Hopes, though.

I should add that I've only experienced Elixirs on demo bikes; so my impressions are limited. I did ensure that the brakes were functioning properly, though. I've had a little bit more experience with the X2s, as my parter has them fitted (by me) to her Stumpy (which I quite often take out for rides myself).

Cliff notes: I voted Hope X2.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Had the Elixr brakes on my Reign as standard, and they are a powerful brake.... BUT I had issues with the quality and the fact that sometimes the stopped working- bled and work fine, couple of rides later, pulling to the bar and no stopping power. Got fed up and went to Tech M4 front and X2 rear and have never been happier!
    Quality of the Hopes is brilliant, lever feel is great (especially with braided hose) adjustability is very good...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If you can afford them...

the Hopes are VERY nice brakes. Currently the Elixrs, while nice, are experiencing a few problems with the master cilynders, as ratty2k experienced. Doesn't seem to be all of them, but it is occuring. MC goes south, no brakes, bleed em and they'll be fine for a ride or two then mush again. Rebuild the MC and they'll be fine, but it may happen again. It's something that I'm sure that Avid will sort out. But IMHO it never should have occured in the first place. Most likely a manufacturering problem on the production brakes, but you'd think they'dve wrung this out in R&D.

Anyway, until the Elixrs become more reliable, I'd have to go with the Hopes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i have x2s front and rear..........the best......easy to setup....have never heard a sound out of them......

Custom User Title
    Thanks for the votes and replies guys. So the Hopes it is then.

I was also considering going with the Tech M4 for the front and X2 in the rear like ratty2k mentioned, but I'd rather save some weight and go all X2.
    Do you guys think that M4 front, X2 rear is something I need to do for my weight and riding style or will X2/X2 be fine?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    just put my X2 pros on and I could not be happier!

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    I,like ratty,have just swapped from Avids(Ultimates)to Hope tech M4s.The Avids were my 3rd set,the last being a warranty replacement.The ultimates ARE good brakes..when they work.Reliabilty is an issue,not sure if its the UK conditions they don't like but both set of Utimates have had the same problem,the push-rod and housing just stop working.It makes a squishy sound for a few rides then just sticks.

thread killer
    use both. use hope front and avid rear or vice versa. ha ha
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    neither one based on the discussions in this forum.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    neither one based on the discussions in this forum.

Not 100% sure about the Elixir, but the general consensus about the Tech X2 here seems to be very positive.
    What exactly are you referring to? Do you have an alternative?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr13zehn
    Not 100% sure about the Elixir, but the general consensus about the Tech X2 here seems to be very positive.
    What exactly are you referring to? Do you have an alternative?

There seems to be a lot of discussion about those makes of brakes???

Don't seem to see alot of discussion about shimanos you gotta think there are alot of shimanos out there.

mtbr member
    I'am also in the market for some brakes. So I will also watch this post and add some questions. Iam a newbie I also was looking at the Elixir R's/CR's. I'am 6'2' and I also ride mostly XC and aggressive XC. Bike is a 09 GF Cobia. After going to the Hope site I can say that the Hopes do look alot better than the Elixir and being that I used to be a machinist I like that fact they are made of a solid piece of aluminum . What has me confused is what do they mean by "Floating Disc"?? Is there and advantage to "floating" vs "fixed" And I was looking into going 185mm in the front and they offer 183mm so is there a special bracket for that size rotor? i kow they have a bracket for the 185's..

On looks I vote X2's.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

Live 2 Ride
    Based on all the issues people report on this site about the problems the Avid hydro brakes have I would go with Hope.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GF 29er
    What has me confused is what do they mean by "Floating Disc"??
    This is a Hope floating rotor...

Get a Hope disc brake adaptor for the 183mm rotor, that works for your setup(post mount, or IS) - you could probably get away with using adaptors from other brands, but might as well get Hope if you are going with their brakes.

Live 2 Ride
    How does the rotor float?
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    The coloured aluminium center is separate to the steel braking surface and the two parts do not touch. They are held in place by the rivets you see. The braking surface doesn't have any lateral movement - as one would usually find on an automotive floating rotor - but the separation of the two parts can sometimes be felt foreward/backward movement.

The idea is to not only save weight, but also to provide a braking surface which may expand as it heats, without affecting the whole rotor and, in extreme cases, also affecting the hub and its bearings. It also looks rather nice, which is, I think, why most people like them!!.

Diogenes

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197

you'll find out at the next stream crossing. ha ha.

no, it means that the rotor has side to side play. because the rotor isn't fix directly to the hub it has a bit of lateral movement. if you lock at a hope floating rotor the steal rotor is attached to an aluminum center with rivets that allow for some movement.
    next time

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF-IDK
    no, it means that the rotor has side to side play. because the rotor isn't fix directly to the hub it has a bit of lateral movement.
    As per my previous post, there is no lateral play on Hope floating rotors.

Diogenes

yorkshire mud monkey
    i would say the hope, ive got a front tech m4 and rear is a juicy3 well they are pants i cant wait to get my m4 for the rear just a shame you cant get the vented rotor for them as they look uber cool.

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    As per my previous post, there is no lateral play on Hope floating rotors.
    None at all? Kinda misleading then isn't it?

I do not have any personal experience with Hope floating rotors so I was going from my automotive experience.
    I also think we were typing our answers at the same time you just got yours posted before me. If I had read your answNone at all? Kinda misleading then isn't it?

I do not have any personal experience with Hope floating rotors so I was going from my automotive experience. In which case the rotor does have lateral movement.
    I also think we were typing our answers at the same time you just got yours posted before me. If I had read your answer before I gave my own. I would have just stuck with the sarcasmer before I gave my own. I would have just stuck with the sarcasim
    next time

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Get the Hope...its much better than the finicky Elixirs. You won't be disappointed.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Yes they do look very nice. I have a new wheel set coming with blue hope hubs. Now are they just as durable as a fixed rotor. Are those rivets strong?? Also is there a BIG difference besides price between the X2's vs the M4's.
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    TOO funny. Hey Micro the link you just posted is in my home town. And I was going to go down there tomorrow. To funny
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

Custom User Title
    One more question. How does the lever feel on the Hope?
    I really like the Elixir lever. It's very comfy, especially for one finger braking.
    Is the Hope lever thicker or about the same? I tried out the Magura Marta SL and I cannot stand the levers, way to thick and angular. The Elixir are nice and smooth.
    Sadly my LBS doesn't have a bike with Hope brakes on it, so I could test.

...idios...
    One more question. How does the lever feel on the Hope?
    The Tech lever is quite broad - 14mm - but I find that the shape of it fits very comfortably into my finger. The profile is not in the least bit angular. Comfort is highly subjective, though, so I wouldn't like to say that it would be to everyone's liking. They are absolutely a one-finger brake, though.

One negative comment that I heard from a couple of people is that they find the drilled holes in the lever blade to be uncomfortable, at least when they weren't wearing gloves.

I can post some close-ups of the Tech lever if you'd like?

Diogenes

...idios...
    Now are they just as durable as a fixed rotor. Are those rivets strong??
    I've used the two-piece rotors for around three years, with Mono Mini, M4, V2 and M6. The M6 rotors have been in service for pretty much the whole time and show no sign of fatigue. I'm selling them now and have absolutely no reservations about their integrity. They still feel as solid as when they were new.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 11-19-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Diogenes

Custom User Title
    Thanks for the reply. I think that it was manly the very angular shape of the Magura levers that bothered me. If the Hopes are not like that, it should be just fine. I do have quite large hands...

I would love to see some close up pics if it's not too much hassle. There can never be too much bike pron...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    The Tech lever is quite broad - 14mm - but I find that the shape of it fits very comfortably into my finger. The profile is not in the least bit angular. Comfort is highly subjective, though, so I wouldn't like to say that it would be to everyone's liking. They are absolutely a one-finger brake, though.

One negative comment that I heard from a couple of people is that they find the drilled holes in the lever blade to be uncomfortable, at least when they weren't wearing gloves.

I can post some close-ups of the Tech lever if you'd like?

...idios...
    I would love to see some close up pics if it's not too much hassle. There can never be too much bike pron...
    Pron it is, then!!

Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...-tech1.jpg

Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...-tech2.jpg

Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...-tech3.jpg

Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...-tech4.jpg

Narrowed it down and want to see what most of you would do...-tech5.jpg

Diogenes

Custom User Title
    Man, I just love that industrial look of these. That lever does look nice and smooth though. Very nice.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    What an over-engineered.....masterpiece!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by dr13zehn
    Man, I just love that industrial look of these. That lever does look nice and smooth though. Very nice.
    I forget to mention: the distance between the clamp and the end of blade is rather on the long side. It depends, of course, on how much clampable (a word?) area there is on the handlebar, but these brakes are not for those with narrow bars. The one-finger performance means that the lever blade is set quite far inboard anyway, but this obviously necessitates that the clamp has to be further inboard, too. By my reckoning, I'd say that at least 20cm of clampable area would be needed to get the lever in a comfortable/efficient position.

This is just my experience and opinion, of course; but I think it's worth looking into before splashing out.

Diogenes

Custom User Title
    I have a 660mm handlebar, so it's not a narrow bar. My Juicy 5s are set up for one finger braking and I still have about 2.5cm of clamping space towards the stem left.
    Unless the X2s are just extremely long, I think I will be alright.

Members who have read this thread: 0