My new brakes :(- Mtbr.com
    look 986
    Dec 2009

My new brakes :(

OK so i have fitted my Formula R1 brakes and they are finally set up right. In the manual it states you have to make 50+ hard stops before they are broke in. So after a good long ride and well in excess of 50 hard stops my brakes were performing awesomely. Could throw you over the bars with 1 finger with ease. So after a good days ridding i was well pleased with my nice new brakes.

However, the next time i took my bike out my brakes were, for want of a better word, poor. I put a bit of heat into the rotor and pads with a few more really hard stops and things got better.

Is this just a case of these brakes still not being broken in properly yet or is this a normal feature of these brakes? I was thinking maybe the standard pads aren't too good or maybe they have glazed over from being thrashed against a shinny new rotor from day 1?

Has any one had this happen to them?
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Needs a GOOD bleed. By someone who knows what they are doing.

Meh.
    A bleed has nothing to do with it if the lever is firm and consistent.

Pads have a heat range where they like to be in. It's possible the pads were glazed. It's possible that you still haven't quite gotten them broken in yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    what kind of pads (sintered or organic)?

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    Needs a GOOD bleed. By someone who knows what they are doing.
    Bleeding has nothing to do with it. Get it out of your head the bleeding quick fixes all problems. Do you even know what bleeding brakes do?

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Pads should definitley be broken in by now.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It's possible the pads were glazed..
    Most likley. Take the pads out and give them a sand with some sandpaper, also sand the rotors, then re-install.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    Pads should definitley be broken in by now.

Most likley. Take the pads out and give them a sand with some sandpaper, also sand the rotors, then re-install.
    Make sure to wipe the pads and the rotors down with Isopropyl Alcohol after doing this. You wouldnt want to go through the hassle of scuffing up your pads and rotors, only to find out you have to do it all over again because you contaminated your pads and rotors when reinstalling them

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Every time I have new pads/brake. I ride around the block standing in a granny and hard on the stoppers. Really speeds up the process if not completes it.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

look 986
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EssEff
    what kind of pads (sintered or organic)?
    Not sure, they are what ever come as standard in formula r1's. Is there a way to tell?

look 986
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    Make sure to wipe the pads and the rotors down with Isopropyl Alcohol after doing this. You wouldnt want to go through the hassle of scuffing up your pads and rotors, only to find out you have to do it all over again because you contaminated your pads and rotors when reinstalling them
    Thanks, will do..... what type of sand paper should i use?

Members who have read this thread: 0