My Magura Experience- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

My Magura Experience

I think it's important I share my experience dealing with Magura USA recently. This post is actually comprised of three installments, one from the 9th of November, one from the 23rd, and one from the 24th.

Allow me to preface this post with this: If you have had good experiences dealing with Magura USA, great. Good for you. The only intention of this post is to accurately describe my experience and my subsequent opinions formed from my experience... nothing more, nothing less.

FIRST INSTALLMENT November 9th, 2009:

My bike is outfitted with 2008 Marta SL's. Recently, I was riding with some friends. We had just started, and were on a slow descent from where we parked to the actual trail. Suddenly my front brake stopped working, the lever went loose and was pulling all the way to the bar. I was able to stop with just my rear brake. I examined the lever, and saw that the screw holding the pivot barrel in place had fallen out, releasing the barrel (which I was able to find, miraculously, although the screw was long gone). End of ride, friends disappointed, bummer.

I contacted Magura. I explained my experience. I should note that I have only had two other potentially dangerous equipment failures, one with a post, one with a crank. I won't mention the companies. But both times, the first thing the company reps said was something along the lines of "Are you okay? Are you hurt? I am so sorry that happend..." The Magura response, upon learning their product had totally failed during a descent, was: "That part will cost you... $12." No apology. No concern for my well-being.

I pressed them a little bit, saying I didn't see why they couldn't just toss a screw in an envelope with a 25 cent stamp, a small price to pay for what could have been a situation that culminated in a massive lawsuit. They replied the screw was only available as part of a bushing set, which cost $12. Plus shipping.

I asked if screws falling out were the norm. They replied that it was "known to happen", but usually only in circumstances in which the rider adjusted his levers very close to the bar... ie with the screw almost out. I replied that I ran my levers as far away from the bar as possible, ie. with the screw all the way in. Then I asked if the levers weren't designed to be run either as close or far from the bar as one wished. They said they were, but the incidence of this failure was more common among people running the levers close. I asked if perhaps they should issue a recall on the brakes with this design flaw. They replied that nobody had been hurt. I asked if they could see how incredibly fortunate that was, and then referenced the recent Look pedal recall, in which no one had been hurt, and only a few failures had been reported. The fellow said: "Well that's how it is. We haven't heard of any injuries". I suggested they hire a legal consultant, convey this logic to him, and see if his head didn't explode.

Long story short, I ended up ordering a bushing kit and requesting overnight shipping, since at this point I was already spending some money... so why not a bit more so I could make my weekend ride? You know... One screw, $20. Weekend ride with friends, priceless. Anyway, during the ordering process, their phone hung up on me, and a second person took my information. Although I gave my information twice to two separate people, and confirmed the shipping and billing addresses before I hung up, they still managed to confuse the shipping zip code with the billing zip code.

I called the next day, and while they didn't apologize, they did say they would only issue a refund once the post office returned the package to them. No offer to overnight another kit at no charge so I might make my ride. No solution offered at all, in fact. Which I appreciated... Not so much from a customer service standpoint, but from one of general symmetry... It was kind of a perfect 10 of failure for my incident, I was perversely glad that they didn't waiver in their apathy and incompetence from start to finish in their dealings with me.

SECOND INSTALLMENT November 23rd, 2009

I've been pretty slammed with work, so I haven't had time to call Magura to make sure that they did indeed refund my card after the kit was routed back to them due to their shipping label mistake, as was discussed with them over the phone.

As it turns out, I will have to call them, but for an entirely different reason now. While checking the mail this evening I was surprised to find a package from Magura, containing the bolt kit and an itemized receipt.

$12 for the brake kit. And $21.90 for the shipping. Even when I wanted it overnighted back on the 8th, I never authorized anyone to charge $21.90 in shipping charges to my card. This was done completely off the grid by someone over there. I wasn't quoted anything near that for overnight shipping... forget the fact that's been 2 weeks.

And the ultimate insult-to-injury? The package arrived not by overnight mail, but by USPS Priority... with the shipping cost clearly labeled on the package... $4.80.

That's 33.90 to replace a single bolt that shouldn't have fallen out in the first place... two weeks later... well after the fact that they were told that due to their screw-up it wouldn't be needed.

THIRD INSTALLMENT November 24th, 2009:

So I reached the sales department for Magura today.

I think it's important to note, before I reveal the outcome of the conversation, that at no point during the phone call did anyone apologize. Not even a brief, cursory "sorry", or a defensive "Well, I'm sorry, but..." I mention this because I think it hinted at a little more than just simple ambivalence or poor customer service... it seemed unnatural, like it was intentional. As if Magura USA have been briefed by council that legally in situations like this, an apology is an admission of guilt. Maybe I'm reading too much in to this, but it was really, really strange. Put it this way, a girl I'm seeing was hanging out, and she heard the call on speakerphone. She has not been privy to the history of this difficulty. The first thing she said when I hung up was: "That was weird. That guy didn't say sorry once. Like sometimes there were some awkward pauses cause he wasn't saying it..." It was actually she who later reflected that she'd worked at a corporation where apologizing was against policy because it was an admission of guilt... Anyway, regardless of the reason, it was flipping weird, and bears mentioning.

So based on the phone call, here's what Magura USA mantains:

1. My credit card was not charged in a manner I did not authorize, despite the fact that the shipping cost is well over what I was quoted when I wanted the brakes, despite the fact that my credit card records show a second charge from Magura on the 20th, well after I had been in contact with them on the 9th, and it was promised that my card would be refunded the entire amount once the incorrectly addressed package was routed back to them. This is legally defined as credit card fraud.

2. They are not obligated to issue me any sort of refund now, until they have the kit back in their hands, despite the fact that this second mailing of the kit on the 20th was not authorized by me and done without my knowledge. They are willing to send out a USPS pickup call, but until they have the kit in their possession, the charges stand. If the kit is lost or misplaced by the post office, the charges stand. And, one can only assume looking back over this tired venture, if Magura USA screws up yet again, the charges stand. This is legally defined as mail fraud.

This third installment of my Magura experience has transcended terrible customer service, and technically, plunged headlong into multiple felonies. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ouch... they've been pretty good to me... but all i have from them is a couple of hydraulic motorcycle clutches...

sorry to hear that they jipped you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Magura was on my list of brakes - not now. That is horrible! You pay that much for a brake and they don't provide anything more than a rude response!? In this economy that is bad, and they will all be out of a job before you know it. Poor leadership - poor training = a company and product headed for the dumps. Thanks for the warning.
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd be royally pissed! I especially hate the overcharging (lying about) for shipping to the wrong address...that grinds my gears! That just insults your intelligence even more when combined with the overpriced part. There's just too much that went wrong with what should have been a simple transaction. I hope it was worth it Magura.

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with Justin this morning on another issue with Magura brakes. Seemed fine. They charge MSRP, that's because they're the distributor (can't f**k their dealers behind the back). Shipping seemed reasonable. Just an update in terms of shipping, the first class stamps these days run 44 cents, not 25 cents. Even then, it's flat not with a screw inside. But yeah, the overnight shipping thing would def. be something I would expect a "oops!" from Magura USA and a reasonable request to refund on shipping since it was their error on shipping (if what you state is true about them making an error in taking your address down). Good luck.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That is odd - I have had wonderful customer service experiences with them on the odd occasions that I have needed it.

wuss
    I had very bad experiences with Magura Europe when I had problems with a Wotan. Different company I guess, but I think they follow the same manuscript when somebody has problems.

Maybe HQ sanctioned policy...

I did purchase two pairs of their brakes after that. I can't help liking the product (brakes), just hope I don't have problems.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I contacted Magura. I explained my experience...
    I notice that you don't go so far as to quote exactly how you "explained" your experience and the tone you used. What you're not telling us could be as relevent as what you you are.

I don't see why Magura (or their representatives) should apologise. If they don't know for sure that the fault is a direct result of a design or manufacturing fault, then an apology is meaningless. Expecting an apology is, in my opinion, rather presumptuous, even a little precious.

I'm not taking the side of Magura here, but what you absolutely haven't done is to "accurately describe" what happened. It's way too one-sided to be considered accurate, let alone objective.

Do you, or does anyone else, have a descriptive picture of the lever assembly? I'm not familiar with the design and would be interested to know what happened, how it could have happened and how it could not have happened.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    UPDATE:

Got a call from Magura this morning. A full refund is forthcoming. Maybe sharing the experience with others helped my case?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I notice that you don't go so far as to quote exactly how you "explained" your experience and the tone you used. What you're not telling us could be as relevent as what you you are.

I don't see why Magura (or their representatives) should apologise. If they don't know for sure that the fault is a direct result of a design or manufacturing fault, then an apology is meaningless. Expecting an apology is, in my opinion, rather presumptuous, even a little precious.

I'm not taking the side of Magura here, but what you absolutely haven't done is to "accurately describe" what happened. It's way too one-sided to be considered accurate, let alone objective.

Do you, or does anyone else, have a descriptive picture of the lever assembly? I'm not familiar with the design and would be interested to know what happened, how it could have happened and how it could not have happened.
    I called them up and screamed obscenities into the phone, what do you think?

Until this thing went down, I was a Magura fan. I was expecting a quick resolution. My "tone" was polite, unhurried, and open. The response totally blind-sided me.

You say in the same breath that you "don't see why Magura or their representitives should apologize" and that you're "not familiar with the design and would be interested to know what happened". As it turns out, what happened is a fairly well-known issue with the brakes- known to the mechanics I've spoken with, at least one friend, and, most importantly, known to Magura. The fact that it happened to me during a descent means that my tone could have been straight out of a Hitler speech, and an apology should still be forthcoming. I could have been killed. People can get upset when they are nearly killed. As it stands, I was measured and friendly at the beginning. My tone became icier and even vaguely sarcastic as the ordeal went on, but I was never impolite, loud, or abusive. If you really don't see why somebody should have said "sorry", I mean really, as in you actually believe that and aren't just trolling, then please, for the love of God, don't ever sell anything to anyone, ever.

Finally, what led you to believe my post was going to be objective, to the extent that you would indict me for not being so? I literally prefaced the entire thing by saying that the post would reflect just my experience, and my opinions formed thereof. Individual experience and opinions are not objective, by their very nature. I have not strayed from the facts in my description of what occurred, but in terms of how the facts colored my opinions? That is anything but objective... and rightfully so. Were you too busy "not taking the side of Magura" to read the post carefully?

...idios...
    I called them up and screamed obscenities into the phone, what do you think?
    I didn't think anything; that's why I asked you.

I was measured and friendly at the beginning. My tone became icier and even vaguely sarcastic as the ordeal went on, but I was never impolite, loud, or abusive.
    That's a little clearer.

If you really don't see why somebody should have said "sorry", I mean really, as in you actually believe that and aren't just trolling, then please...don't ever sell anything to anyone, ever.
    An apology is an admission of culpability and an expression of regret. If Magura, or their representatives, don't think that they are at fault or to blame for what happened to your brake, as would seem to be the case from the way you have presented it, then why would they apologise?

I sell loads of stuff. You should read my eBay feedback; it's the loveliest list of happy shoppers you're likely to see. Everything I sell is fit for use, serviced and in great condition. If, however, somebody buys a component from me and fails to install it or set it up properly, or if it fails catasptrophically in a way that I had no influence over, then subsequently has an accident or mishap, why would I apologise? What did I do? What do I have to regret other than parhaps that I didn't suggest that they had a qualified mechanic install/set up their purchase?

Finally, what led you to believe my post was going to be objective, to the extent that you would indict me for not being so?
    I didn't expect that your post would be objective; nor did I say it should be. But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be nice to see some attempts at objective consideration when people take it upon themselves to make have a go at somebody else on the internets. To me, your rant is useless and does nothing to affect my perception of Magura. Nobody who rants has an opinion worth considering. But what did you expect or desire to acheive from it? Or were you just letting off steam? If so, why do you feel the need to do so in public? And why didn't you wait until you had exhausted all possible avenues with the people you actually have the grievance with, perhaps arriving at a suitable conclusion, before furnishing us with "your experience"?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Sorry about the experience, i can see how this stuff can happen and escalate. Would piss me off too, because it's all about the customer Just shows how hard it is to be a manufacturer of consumer products, especially things like bike components where there are a million variables that can cause failures, misunderstandings or just plain lame-head easy to solve problems.

So aside from your crappy customer service experience, are the brakes working well ?
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    HMMM! Wow! It must just be a coincidence that you got a refund or maybe ranting on a public forum does serve a purpose. Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    How come you didn't go to the dealer and get help - why'd you go direct? As a bike shop manager I kinda get irked when people get on here and rant about thier bad experiences with a manufacturer. They aren't really focused on the consumer, they are focused on the dealer who should in turn be focused on the end-user. In the future why don't you contact a dealer or Magura Passion Point shop and ask for help. I could have sent you the part you needed for a lot less than what you paid.

Also, ease up on the whole lawsuit thing - that gets annoying really fast. Mountain biking is dangerous even with fully functional equipment, and even the best parts fail from time to time. If you aren't willing to accept a little personal responsibilty than sit down on the couch and watch TV.

Cheers! Sorry if thats a bit harsh, but come on. Vent to a therapist, not on MTBR.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

29er Fan Boy
    Nov 2009
    You can say sorry without apologizing. "I'm sorry that this happened to you" is not the same as "I apologize for this happening to you."

That's why you say "I'm sorry for your loss" but not "I apologize for your loss." Apologizing means you did something wrong. Being sorry doesn't mean you had any part of it.

Of course, that doesn't mean any half decent attorney couldn't pin it either way in a lawsuit, hence your chick friend's company policy.

And sending out a $12 kit for free would not have been the worst business decision the company has ever made. How much did you pay for the brakes? Enough I'm sure. Overnight (and free) may have been asking a little much, but you didn't ask for that. I would have done it for one of my customers (non-bike related industry).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    To me, your rant is useless and does nothing to affect my perception of Magura. Nobody who rants has an opinion worth considering.
    While my post may be long, it is a pretty concise, relatively reserved description of my experience with Magura, punctuated with some dry humor. Not really a rant, is it? A rant would be a needlessly reactionary, angry or argumentative post where nothing is really stated other than that which is knee-jerk or ego-driven.

But what did you expect or desire to acheive from it? Or were you just letting off steam? If so, why do you feel the need to do so in public? And why didn't you wait until you had exhausted all possible avenues with the people you actually have the grievance with, perhaps arriving at a suitable conclusion, before furnishing us with "your experience"?
    Think it's pretty clear to most folks why I posted here. Call it two parts public service (Archived good and bad experience posts are exactly what I search for before pulling the trigger on an expensive part), and one part shot in the dark that someone at Magura would feel some pressure from it.

I don't buy most of what you've written, the apology stuff I feel you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, it seems to be all semantics, an exercise in debate... As if you don't actually believe it. Regardless, I have no business wasting anyone's time going into that, or engaging with you further. I think it's pretty clear that we have violently different outtakes on more than a few things. Not sure how much more can be gained from continued discussion between us...
    Last edited by starter; 11-25-2009 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    How come you didn't go to the dealer and get help - why'd you go direct? As a bike shop manager I kinda get irked when people get on here and rant about thier bad experiences with a manufacturer. They aren't really focused on the consumer, they are focused on the dealer who should in turn be focused on the end-user. In the future why don't you contact a dealer or Magura Passion Point shop and ask for help. I could have sent you the part you needed for a lot less than what you paid.
    I definitely feel you here. I first contacted my favorite LBS, (actually a small chain in these parts), and they've pretty much fazed out Magura. They didn't really go into why, but they couldn't order the part for me. I tried a few other LBS's, and got similar answers there. To be honest, the idea of contacting a non-local shop rather than Magura directly didn't really occur to me. I wanted to be sure they knew exactly what part I wanted, and didn't want to risk my over-the-phone description being misunderstood and the wrong part being sent.

Also, ease up on the whole lawsuit thing - that gets annoying really fast. Mountain biking is dangerous even with fully functional equipment, and even the best parts fail from time to time. If you aren't willing to accept a little personal responsibilty than sit down on the couch and watch TV.
    Feel you here as well. I hope I wasn't unclear on this point; I'm not the type to sue willy-nilly. Guys like that annoy me. I never threatened Magura with a lawsuit, nor said that had things gone worse with the failure that I would have sued. I brought it up incredulously and in the abstract, as in: "This is a known issue to you, and the sort of thing companies get sued for. If you were talking to someone who'd been injured, your policy would seriously be to risk pushing them over the edge into legal action in order to price gouge for a screw, rather than eating the 25 cents?" That's a cruder summary of what I asked, I was definitely lower key, and smoother... I was trying to facilitate a resolution, so my questions and statements were sometimes pointed, meant to gently call attention to how unreasonable some of the policies being quoted to me were, but never in-your-face or argumentative. Sorry if I wasn't more articulate about how the the legal stuff was discussed.

Cheers! Sorry if thats a bit harsh, but come on. Vent to a therapist, not on MTBR.
    Again, wasn't trying to vent as much as do a solid in terms of a PSA, and perhaps put a bit of pressure on Magura USA. As I said, I really appreciate posts like this when I'm researching a potential purchase, and it sounds like a few folks are with me on that... if it's the kind of thing you don't like, I apologize, certainly didn't mean to offend. Different strokes for different folks... How's CO? Must be cold as a witches tit about now. I've become spoiled in SoCal
    Last edited by starter; 11-25-2009 at 09:59 PM.

mtbr member
    My one and only experience with Magura resulted in a new lever assembly being sent out for free. Good stuff

The experience above goes to show how a single d!pshit working at a place (shop, bike company, whatever) with a good reputation can do lots of damage.

I'm just going to say it, but often times the ones answering the phones and dealing with customers are on the low end of the pay scale and they go out of there way to make it known they don't get paid enough to care.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    to go off on a tangent, i've never understood the LBS' stance of "well, we don't order from them". Magura as I recall do not have minimums and their dealership application is one of the easiest/shortest in the business. To flat out refuse to order something for a customer without doing any leg work is mindboggling to me.

Whiskey Wheels
    I too, had the same experience of losing the reach adjustment screw, and subsequently having the pivot barrel fall out on a ride. Pretty scary but luckily it was the rear brake. Never found the parts, but a handy twig and some e-tape made short work of the trailside repair, and it lasted the remaining 20 miles of the ride through the Sierra. Got home and the LBS ordered the bushing kit through BTI (the Magura dist.). Not only did I get some spare bits, but replacing the bushings (I was drunk and bored) made a world of difference to my 2 year old levers. Oh and BTW, made two more local rides with stick and tape set-up before affecting the fix.
    Here's what I did: Thoroughly cleaned the threads with spray brake cleaner and then installed the screws with BLUE Loc-tite. Then placed a dab of black silicone over the screw heads just to be sure. A year later and nary a twist out of 'em. And I swear the replacemant bushings are better than the factory installed units.

I kind of do hope Maggie reads this, because it's not an uncommon problem (so sayeth my LBS) and they could easily install some thread lock on the original screws. They could also instruct their CSR's to just send out a barrel and screw n/c via mail.
    Are you reading Magura??? I could be in the market for some '09 Martas....
    SingleTracks and SingleMalts... mm mm good!

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    next time your credit card is charged wrong, simply call the credit card company and get your money back. Its rarely worth arguing with the company directly when you can just call your creditor and let them deal with it.

Also get a Amex card and buy your parts on it. if you had you could have just called Amex and told them the problem and you would have gotten back the full price of the brakes.

Maybe with that money next time you can move to a compnay which actually cares.

I wouldn't have paid a cent for the small bolt, let alone $12. It simply wouldn't have happened. I likely would instead spend the $15 and take them to small claims court, which the judge would likely rule in my favour much more than $12 for neglectful manufacturing.

Live 2 Ride
    It costs a little more than 15 dollars to go to small claims court. Around here it is upwards of 75 dollars.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Not in nyc, its $15 for under $1000

Live 2 Ride
    I'm sure there are other charges. 15 dollars is cheap.

Even if you get a judgment against someone you can't expect to get paid. No one forces people to pay bills. No such thing as debtor's prison.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    By the way, the new ('10) Marta is designed differently to fix the screw problem that is well known.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have just dealt with Justin. He helped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It's good that you posted this kind of stuff Starter. It helps to make people aware of companies that may have questionable customer service. And to be very careful when going about placing orders. I hope this taught you though, never pay for overnight delivery. It's not worth it unless you are a business. As my thoughts about Magura, I've owned three sets of their brakes, one set of HS-33's which were the best hydralic brakes I've ever had, one set of Julie's, and one set of clara's, both of which were total crap which convinced me to never buy another Magura hydralic brakeset. I've use Avid, Hayes, and now XTR, and the best out of all have been the XTR. So Magura never has to worry about dealing with me because I wouldn't buy their stuff. I hope everything gets resolved for you.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    What issues did you have with your maguras?
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Master cylinders that are weak with levers that are loose and have a terrible feel. Calipers that stick so the pads keep in contact with the rotor. And as always poor excuses that try to put the blame as to why they never work properly in my court. The HS-33 were the only ones that worked correctly.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, don't usually hear that about Magura's, but I guess with any product, different use scenarios, etc, sh^% will happen. Just hope my new SL's will work as promised.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry to resurrect this thread...but I lost the same screw. I think it's was a #6 25mm machine screw for 0.41$ at Lowes if anyone else had the same problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    "Microfasteners" they're online and are quick to deliver, I buy all of my hobby related fasteners there.
    Sad to hear such a tale of woe about an otherwise well respected company. Unfortunately unless we monitor all the calls, some rude employee behavior can happen. Having said that, I have personally had similar experiences with companies and simply ended up voting with my feet and taking my business elsewhere, of course mouthing off the entire time to anyone who'll listen about the bad service.
    In the end they are doing themselves out of customers with poor service, simple as that.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Starter, sorry to hear of your experience with your adjuster screw and customer service with Magura.
    We are typically on the ball and have good experiences with our customers but missed the boat with your case.
    Glad you were finally refunded properly.

The story with the hardware that fell out on your ride goes like this.

That 2.5 mm allen headed bolt is the adjuster for the lever blade position and the way it was designed was that the head of the bolt was recessed or "countersunk" into another part (plastic adjusting barrel) that slides in a bore when the adjuster bolt was threaded in either direction inward or outward.
    This countersunk design is also the "lock-tite" and holds the hardware in position if it's not adjusted out of position.

If a person were to adjust the lever blade as close as possible to the grip and not notice the lever blade's stop position, (the closest the blade can physically travel with this adjustment)
    then the hardware can continue to be un-screwed and press it's head of the hardware out of the recessed plastic barrel (same as if you were completely removing the blade) allowing it to possibly rattle out on the ride.
    This can also happen if for some reason the lever blade has been removed and replaced and attention has not been paid to the orientation of the plastic barrel which can be replaced backwards where the head of the hardware isn't allowed to sink into the recess.

We really didn't have too many cases where this happened out of the 6 years of production but obviously had a few and was a feature we iterated for a more fail safe design in the new SL's.
    At the events, festivals, races and anywhere we have the chance to interface with the consumer, we try to make sure this adjusting procedure is understood more clearly.
    I like to suggest watching the blade's tip movement and when that stops, stop adjusting the bolt. If you are unsure, you can always thread the adjuster bolt all of the way back inward to the stops which assures its head is properly bottomed into its position, then back out to your preferred position.

Again, sorry for the hassles.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Jude-

The 41 cent replacement screw I am using does not have the tapered end of the OEM screw, but still seems to set into the top of the recess barrel. Should I not be using such a set-up?

Also as a sidebar I tried to register on the Magura forum but it repeatedly told me that my email address(s) were not usable??? Am I doing something wrong?

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    gdnorm, you should be fine without the taper tip. As long as the head fits nicely and moves the blade when adjusting.

Not sure about the forum complications.
    I'll see what I can find that may be the problem.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's my opinion that Magura is a top notch and well respected company. Nothing here has changed my opinion,. Nothing is fool proof. People should learn the intricacies of their bike and components. I think many times people can avoid problems if they are willing to pay attention to the details.

Members who have read this thread: 0