for three!
    Mar 2008

Massive brake squeal

A few days ago i got some koolstop black mountain pads (rim brakes) installed on my bike, and the front brake squeals crazily loud whenever i put the slightest pressure on the lever. It's unbearably loud, and i adjusted my brake pads numerous times, but that didn't solve anything. My bike is almost brand new and I have mavic 317 rims. Anybody have suggestions?

LCW
    mtbr member
    maybe a good opportunity to upgrade to disc brakes?

Old man on a bike
    Try abrading the surface of the pads with a file or similar. The toe-in might be set badly. Might try cleaning your rims as well.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

semantic blockage
    Have you adjusted your brake pad(s) with "toe-in"? They must have toe-in. Prior to tightening the pads, place a matchbook cover folded once (2 ply) under the leading (rearward) edge of the pad - then tighten pad. No more squeal. I do this to each side at the same time - both pads loose with matchbook shim under - hold pads in place with left hand, tighten with right hand.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamandb
    Have you adjusted your brake pad(s) with "toe-in"? They must have toe-in. Prior to tightening the pads, place a matchbook cover folded once (2 ply) under the leading (rearward) edge of the pad - then tighten pad. No more squeal. I do this to each side at the same time - both pads loose with matchbook shim under - hold pads in place with left hand, tighten with right hand.
    THANK YOU very much, that worked like a charm. No more squeals for this bike.

semantic blockage
    Kool Karl...
    You may want to play with shim thickness depending on the type of trails you ride/how much brake you need to grab. Glad to hear your bike is not a distraction to you and others any longer.

Members who have read this thread: 0