Marta v. Marta SL?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Marta v. Marta SL?

What is the difference between the Marta and Marta SL? I see the price sure is! Anything else I'd want to know?
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjensen
    What is the difference between the Marta and Marta SL? I see the price sure is! Anything else I'd want to know?
    Weight. The Marta SL and the even lighter magnesium version use a combination of carbon lever, titanium hardware and magnesium to shave off grams.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No real performance advantage? Just weight? For a few grams sounds like a bunch more money - anyone strongly recommend Martas for my new HT 29'r build?
    bikeone

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I do. I've been through XTR's, Formula Puro's and older Marta's.

The latest version is powerful with great modulation. They are easy to set up, bleed and stay drag free. The lever reach is a little long even dialed all the way in however. They may be a bit uncomfortable for folks with small hands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just sold a bike with the XTR's, and I thought they were very good brakes, but some of the extra noise and rubbing at times - which always went away fairly quickly on their own - was a bit annoying. Hence on my new bike I'm considering the Martas. So I wanted to hear what folks really thought about them. XTR v. Martas are about the same price from my builder. My hands are big enough - 200#.
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Got the Marta's on a couple bikes and am very happy with them. Also, I respectably disagree with the small hands comment by Orthorex, I have pretty small hands and they have plenty of adjustment for me.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Got the Marta's on a couple bikes and am very happy with them. Also, I respectably disagree with the small hands comment by Orthorex, I have pretty small hands and they have plenty of adjustment for me.
    I have '09's. Maybe the long reach feeling was just from the switch from the Puro's. I don't remember the same on the '06 Marta's that I had.

Love the latest Marta's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good to hear this - I am really leaning this direction and this is a lot of money!! But I know that when I get products I am happy with I usually forget how much they cost pretty quickly.
    bikeone

Members who have read this thread: 0