mtbr member

Marta sl lever problems again....

I have done the search on this forum and have followed recomendations to get my rear lever to come back out. I've slobbered the brake lever area with blue blood, and I have have moved the lever vertically. Both of these recommendations made some difference and the lever was starting to come out again without having to be pushed out, though it did not regain it's normal snappyness. The initial problems occured after my race which was a mud fest. Race again last week in wonderful new england conditions and my lever is stuck again. I don't want to wiggle it vertically too hard as I am afraid I am going to cause some damage. Any recommendations? Thanks...
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

ride hard take risks
    Sounds like the master cylinder has failed. Checked the Magura sit & looks as though you need to replace the whole asembly, they dont offer a rebuild kit. Did notice they offer a 5 year no leak warranty, you might want to contact them & see if they are willing to help with your problem. Granted it's not a leak but it is a failure, possibly got some muddy water inside.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    I have done the search on this forum and have followed recomendations to get my rear lever to come back out. I've slobbered the brake lever area with blue blood, and I have have moved the lever vertically. Both of these recommendations made some difference and the lever was starting to come out again without having to be pushed out, though it did not regain it's normal snappyness. The initial problems occured after my race which was a mud fest. Race again last week in wonderful new england conditions and my lever is stuck again. I don't want to wiggle it vertically too hard as I am afraid I am going to cause some damage. Any recommendations? Thanks...
    You might have gotten dirt in the master cylinder. You can try to clean it out, but more than likely it will need a rebuild/replacement.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oh, the joys of Magura....

I'm glad they have great customer service because they are touchy buggers. Contact Magura. Most shops don't know squat about Magura brakes. You might as well bring in a caliper from a BMW 325.

Jaybo

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just had the same problem...

My wife's bike has Marta SLs, and she did a _very_ muddy race where many, many folks lost their brakes completely, including her. At the end, she was having to push the lever back out. I bled the brakes but they were still a little sluggish. I contacted Magura through their site and received a quick reply from Paul, who attached three PDF files, one of which was the procedure for cleaning the pivot area. I followed the procedure, which was pretty straightforward, and the brakes are _much_ better now. She had no complaints at all after yesterday's ride.

I searched for the PDF on their site with no luck (filename: "Marta SL sticking lever blade.pdf"), and tried to attach it here, also with no luck, (58K is too big to attach??) so if you want, I can send it to you. Email me.

Only problem I ran into was when I dropped the reach adjuster screw and spent ~40 minutes looking for it, only to find it fell into one of my shoes which was in the area!

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    I searched for the PDF on their site with no luck (filename: "Marta SL sticking lever blade.pdf"), and tried to attach it here, also with no luck, (58K is too big to attach??) so if you want, I can send it to you. Email me.

Only problem I ran into was when I dropped the reach adjuster screw and spent ~40 minutes looking for it, only to find it fell into one of my shoes which was in the area!
    CMH,

I send you a pm with my email addy for the pdf file. Thanks for your help. I'll make sure to stretch a white sheet under my bike when taking out those screws (which is what I always do now when cleaning the free hub on my mavic xmax sl after having had the same experience of looking for those little springs for several hours...that was fun!!)
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member

Sounds like that file needs to go on the Magura Cult website as well........
    This space for rent.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    CMH,

I send you a pm with my email addy for the pdf file. Thanks for your help. I'll make sure to stretch a white sheet under my bike when taking out those screws (which is what I always do now when cleaning the free hub on my mavic xmax sl after having had the same experience of looking for those little springs for several hours...that was fun!!)
    Sent that PDF along, hope it helps!

I spent a good amount of time probing a crack between the floor and wall with a magnet until I gave up. Was thinking I should cover that up with something because I was lucky that the screw didn't fall there. About 30 minutes later I grabbed a self-extracting crank bolt and the extractor part fell *right* down the crack. Aluminum, too, so no magnet's gonna help me.

mtbr member

Thanks

Sent that PDF along, hope it helps!

I spent a good amount of time probing a crack between the floor and wall with a magnet until I gave up. Was thinking I should cover that up with something because I was lucky that the screw didn't fall there. About 30 minutes later I grabbed a self-extracting crank bolt and the extractor part fell *right* down the crack. Aluminum, too, so no magnet's gonna help me.
    CMH,

Thanks so much for the file. I got it and it looks very do-able. Hey, if you could send anything else you got on these brakes I would greatly appreciated. One things I can see about the marta is that like a beautiful women (I know I sound like a real sexist here!) they are going to be real high maintenance.

My bike/ race Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0