Margura rotors- Mtbr.com

Thread: Margura rotors

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Margura rotors

I'm purchasing a set of Magura Martas. I'm in debate on what rotor to get. The Storm or the Storm SLs? Any input on either? I'm not worried about weight, just more about performance.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmtbfreak
    I'm purchasing a set of Magura Martas. I'm in debate on what rotor to get. The Storm or the Storm SLs? Any input on either? I'm not worried about weight, just more about performance.
    FYI:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/magura-...-rotor-review/

MEGALOMANIAC
    If you want performance over weight savings, go with the regular Storm rotors. There is more surface area for the pads to contact.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just found out I can get the pre storm SL's. Any comment on their performance compared to the new storms?

MEGALOMANIAC
    Pre-Storm rotors? Do you mean the Wavy rotors?

There is an SL Wavy rotor which I would definately stay away from. Major "jutter" sensation issues with those.

However, the drilled Wavy rotor is a good one.

I believe the new non-SL Storm rotor is lighter and disapates heat better, though.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

The MTB Lab
    The new Storm SL is miles ahead of the old SL, per my review "...Magura has done a great job with these new rotors, and they are highly engineered products, and are a vast improvement on their predecessorís..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Got it. After reading that review, I'm still on the fence. Hahaha, I've already put in an order for the SL's. Figured thats what Marta specs with the Marta, we'll give it a try. I'll see if the order has been submitted yet. I'm considering a change to the Storm. I get the feeling I'm waaaay over thinking this.

mtbr member
    Definitely stay away from the pre-storm "wavy" SL rotors. Magura basically engineered the Storm in part to address several performance issues that many of us Marta diehards were experiencing with the previous SL. And it appears they've nailed it with the Storm rotors.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    You should be just fine with the older Marta SL rotor. The judder fix discussion started with another prominent manufacturer's recommendations and spread like wild fire throughout the industry as if it was a problem for everyone else.
    Yes I know some Magura folks have also complained about a "judder" and I have also experienced it but that is easy to explain, an easy fix and something that can also go away on its own.
    The pads get jiggled in the caliper bore either while the rotor/wheel is removed or maybe on a sharp impact while dropping your bike off of the truck or rack.
    The pads slightly angle themselves and this slight angle catches the "scallops" of the wavy rotor causing this judder.
    Also, Aftermarket pads can have looser tolerances of the pad back plate or retaining pin holes which prevent the pads from moving freely enough in the caliper bores ( upon release of brake pressure for pad return) possibly causing some realignment angle issues to the pads face.

So what, keep braking hard and harder and give it about a couple good descents sections and notice the judder goes away and stays away.
    You could remove the pads, clean the brake dust from the magnets holding the pads (causing the slight mis-angle to the pad face) clean inside the caliper to remove any dried mud or debris allowing the pads to seat all the way back into the bores.
    Judder should be gone.

Of course you can replace the rotors with the wider brake track and less scallop of the newer Storm or Storm SL rotor OR even the older Louise SL rotor with its wider brake track. The old Vento works wonderfully also. The wider brake track being more forgiving to the pad's face angle of attack.

All of that being said, The new Storm SL rotor is lighter than the old Marta SL rotor by about 15 gr, wider brake track, better heat dissipation and affordable.

Many choices for you and thanks for everyones comments!

Thanks for flying the flag!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    EDIT I just noticed these rotors only cost $30 each, in the USA. Wow that is an excellent price for and better deigned part that is a wear item anyway. This makes me feel a lot better about them. I'll just wear my current wavy sl rotors down to nothing and pick up a pair of storms. Also, see that I can get a 140mm, might change to that in the rear. End of EDIT

Jude, do you admit that the new louise sized marta sl pads are too big for the older wavy rotors?

But you say that it's brake dust that causes the judder. Does this dust also cause the problem of the rotor "spokes" wearing WAY too thin WAY too fast?

Seems on one hand you say it's no problem/fault of the incorrect sized wavy rotor but it's caused by dust and the brake pad shifting around.

And on the other hand you say that the new storm rotors, and louise rotors (that are sized for the new pads) fixes the "problem" which you say isn't a problem anyway?

Understand what i'm saying? Sounds like you are saying there isn't a problem but the new rotors will fix it.....

I'm just getting the feeling that Magura isn't manning up to the fact that they shouldn't have sold the old style wavy rotors with the 09' and newer marta sl brake systems.

Not bashing Magura in anyway, I love my marta sl's, wouldn't trade them for anything else, and I know a bunch of people that have been riding these for years. I'm just a little frustrated that the rotors that I bought were not, in my eyes, the correct size for the brake system I bought.
    Last edited by Vortechcoupe; 01-09-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Jun 2004
    Hello Vortechcoupe

First, thanks for running Martas and flying the flag!

So to answer your direct question about the past Marta SL rotors from us and about whether they were ever a proper fit and design, Yes, absolutely proper and 100% just fine.
    I would still ride them because I think they are aesthetically better looking and instantly identifiable and don't ever give me a problem.
    The key is whether you remove the wheels/rotors and allow the opportunity for the pads to become displaced.
    All of this rotor fitment and judder complaints originated from the internet, another manufacturer and their inability to diagnose and handle the situation correctly.
    The replacement offer from us is strictly due to market pressure and sensitivity about "customer service" and we need to just try appeasing anyone complaining and not argue the point.
    Some manufacturers throw product at consumers and shops instead of explaining the situation, rectifying and correcting the problem and this reflects negatively on any competitor that doesn't follow this practice.

The wear pattern on the "vein" has nothing to do with irregular wear and is "as designed."
    If you are concerned about excessive wear anywhere on the rotor, you can take a micrometer (not a veneer) and accurately measure for the minimum of 1.7 mm as stamped on each rotor. At that point, then the rotor is worn past minimum thicknesses and ready for replacement.

Sorry you feel we aren't "manning up" but remember, we have made that Marta SL rotor since 2004 and have never had this type complaint until this past year.

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything in the future.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude@magurausa.com
    Sorry you feel we aren't "manning up" but remember, we have made that Marta SL rotor since 2004 and have never had this type complaint until this past year.
    Yeah, when they (you) changed to the bigger brake pad, duh!

Thanks for your input in this thread and to this forum. It is great to have manufacture support like this available to us. I will continue to use my brakes and will eventually buy the storm sl rotors as replacements to my wavy sls.

I see this thread going nowhere. Have a good day and thanks again for your support and info.

Jun 2004
    Good point, one debatable but I think you are correct that we are going no where with this thread and the new rotors should eliminate any further discussion, at least hopefully!

I appreciate your input and feedback however. Its always welcome.
    Jude

Members who have read this thread: 1