mtbr member

Magura MT Trail SL Reviews?

Need to make a purchase decision and looking for reviews for these brakes. So far I can't find any user reviews.

I will use them on my XC rigid build which will also see occasional long, relatively smooth and high-speed downhill stretches where braking power is important. Does this set fit the bill or should I be looking elsewhere?

For my build, I am saving weight everywhere but the brakes, so weight is almost a non-issue.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Found a bunch of reviews here.

36 styles of danger
    I have two sets of these brakes. One on a Nomad Mk2 and the other on an Insurgent.

I think in the past 7 years or so I have had all Magura brakes other than a set of Zee brakes I ran.

Pros for the Magura are modulation, low maintenance, and braking power. Cons are cost maybe as you can get Shimano brakes for less.

If another frame made its way in to my life today I would be putting these brakes on it fwiw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Search for "Magura Trail Carbon", lots and lots of reviews.

A slightly cheaper version with identical performance is Magura Trail Sport brakes.

Excellent brakes, I have them on several of my bikes.

mtbr member
    OK, now I am finding results. But now I am confused as to why you guys rate the brakes well. All the reviews are pretty bad for brakes at this price point.. Flexy lever, mushy, not properly bled from factory, etc...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Personally, I would NEVER count on anything being 100% from the factory, whether it is brakes or suspension, etc. And I am fine with that as long as it is simple maintenance that I can fix myself, such as a bleed or a quick lower drop on a fork etc. I would be pissed if it was bigger issues, like scored piston, leaking master cylinder etc. I've worked in shops long enough to know better. It does suck for those that want to buy, install and ride off, but that just isn't going to happen all of the time. Magura brakes, need a bit of that additional initial love. Amd if they get that, they are phenomenal brakes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Definitely agree with above. Once you setup brakes they way you want them, they perform amazing.

In my case I run Trail Sport levers with HC3 blade + MT8 calipers. I never was a fan of carbon blades, so getting the blades that work for me was the first step. And just like above, once I set them up right, bled them through, they turned out to be the best brakes I could have had.

Interestingly enough, I had Shimano XTRs before and with Magura I'm usually a few seconds faster on the same trail.

mtbr member
    Well really what I am leaning towards is MT7 or yeah the Trail Sport levers with two 4 piston Trail Carbon calipers. I am trying to find which lever/blade combo would be best for me, as the trail carbon blades are so poorly rated. I am thinking a normal aluminum blade would suit me perfectly fine.

There is a guy selling a trail carbon brakeset with HC3 blades. These blades at first glance they look great, but I thought that perhaps they are a bit gimmicky and that the adjustable functions render little to no actual changes. However, given your input dreys, my thoughts must be incorrect.

As of now, I am considering getting a set of MT7's (I can get for 200 bones) or Trail Sport's and then upgrading the calipers with two Trail Carbon 4 Piston's (only for looks, the bike is chrome). I can then in the future consider changing the blades.

I must thank you guys for your input which is invaluable.

mtbr member
    I ended up purchasing the MT Trail carbon's second-hand. They conveniently already had the HC3 blades installed! Only catch was they were from Germany so I took the train to the border and picked the package up. FYI: Switzerland is in the middle of Europe but not really part of the EU, so import/export is a PITA. This is actually a really good thing for Switzerland.

So anyway, I also ordered a second 4 piston brake caliper new and will install that with the new stainless brake-lines from Uberbike. But that can only get done after I get all the parts and after frame gets chromed. Build project can be seen here.

I will post about the brakes next year when the build is finished and I have enough good weather for a real ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    After reading this the other day I bought a new pair of MT Trail Sport off of Pinkbike, which helped justify a pair of new HC3 blades from same seller that he also pre-installed for me (180mm rotors and rear adapter too). Like yourself, I was initially interested in the SL version, but struggled to justify spending several hundred more dollars just to have polished calipers and carbon blades that only reduce weight 24 grams total and lack the adjustment of the HC3 blades. Kind of a no brainer.

mtbr member
    I agree. The MT Trail Sport's are the best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    I'm very happy with my MT Trail Sport brakes so far. HC3 levers are great, modulation and power is great. The SL's are not worth the extra money IMO.