Are Magura Marta Sl's good for all mountain riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Are Magura Marta Sl's good for all mountain riding?

I just bought a pair of Magura Marta Sl brakes for my bike, and I was wondering after I purchased them and read the 2007 catalog that came with them. If they are good brakes for all mountain riding, or if I should have bought the Louise? After reading the catalog they have a section in the catalog that reccomends the Louise more for all mountain riding. My current set up has the 6" rotors on them. I was just wondering if anybody rides these on there all mountain rigs. I have also noticed that Specialized is running the Martas on there Enduro Sl.

Thanks
    Guys

No, that's not phonetic
    It really depends on how much you weigh and how big and steep your hills are. A big guy on a long descent is going to cook those brakes. I would put a 180mm rotor up front at the minimum. I know guys that run those brakes for AM use, but they are under 190# and don't drag them. I own both the Louises and Martas and prefer the Louises overall. The lever shape and adjustment are better imo, and the rotors are heavier and able to absorb more heat. Power-wise, I find them similar for a given rotor size.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

i want spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by C & D's Dad
    I just bought a pair of Magura Marta Sl brakes for my bike, and I was wondering after I purchased them and read the 2007 catalog that came with them. If they are good brakes for all mountain riding, or if I should have bought the Louise? After reading the catalog they have a section in the catalog that reccomends the Louise more for all mountain riding. My current set up has the 6" rotors on them. I was just wondering if anybody rides these on there all mountain rigs. I have also noticed that Specialized is running the Martas on there Enduro Sl.

Thanks
    Guys
    I got them on my Turner 5 Spot and love them! I have the 180/160 spec and it was last years model. I have had no problems what so ever. My only complaint, which is minor is that the replacement levers cost about $163 and that price is coming from there website.

~Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

No, that's not phonetic
    I had them on my 5-Spot also, as does DGC. He runs 180/160 and I ran 190/160.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Martas

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    It really depends on how much you weigh and how big and steep your hills are. A big guy on a long descent is going to cook those brakes. I would put a 180mm rotor up front at the minimum. I know guys that run those brakes for AM use, but they are under 190# and don't drag them. I own both the Louises and Martas and prefer the Louises overall. The lever shape and adjustment are better imo, and the rotors are heavier and able to absorb more heat. Power-wise, I find them similar for a given rotor size.
    Thanks cheezy I weigh 190lb with all my gear on. the hill around here vary there are some rides I barely have to use the brakes at all, and then there is one trail you drop from 8,000ft to 3,000ft in 8 miles. So there is a bit of everything around here. I appreciate everybodys input.

Stray Bullet
    Thanks cheezy I weigh 190lb with all my gear on. the hill around here vary there are some rides I barely have to use the brakes at all, and then there is one trail you drop from 8,000ft to 3,000ft in 8 miles. So there is a bit of everything around here. I appreciate everybodys input.
    Mind if I ask where that trail is and its name?

Scott from SoCal

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Trail name

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Mind if I ask where that trail is and its name?

Scott from SoCal
    Sure the name of the trail is cannel it starts at the top of sherman pass elev I beleive is 9,800ft and you end up just outside of the town of Kernville, Ca at 2,500ft. Th entire ride is around 30 miles with good steep climbs, fire road climbs and alot of excellent DH. The last 9 miles of it is singletrack DH which drops from around 8,000ft down to the bottom. It is a sweet trail but it needs some work, it can get pretty rough in some sections but all and all it is a great trail.

Stray Bullet
    Sure the name of the trail is cannel it starts at the top of sherman pass elev I beleive is 9,800ft and you end up just outside of the town of Kernville, Ca at 2,500ft. Th entire ride is around 30 miles with good steep climbs, fire road climbs and alot of excellent DH. The last 9 miles of it is singletrack DH which drops from around 8,000ft down to the bottom. It is a sweet trail but it needs some work, it can get pretty rough in some sections but all and all it is a great trail.
    As soon as I submitted my post I realized it had to be the Plunge. Road it in November of 2006. Awesome trail!

My 203mm Juicy's were getting hot! I weigh 220 lbs and had a lot of stuff with me. My 7 inch travel bike maintains a ton of speed too.

Killer ride! Can't wait until it open next year.

mtbr member
    I weigh in at 190 w gear and run marta sl on my 5 spot. 180 up front, 160 rear.

Have not yet experienced fade problems, have been using them for AM riding in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton.

Members who have read this thread: 0