Magura Marta Barb Installation and bloody fingers- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Mar 2010

Magura Marta Barb Installation and bloody fingers

Cutting my hose on my Marta's and I remember the barb insertion was always a pain in the past, but wow!! I cannot get the barb flush with the hose no matter what I try. Does anyone out there have any tricks of the trade to make this easier then it should be....and save my fingers?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Blow hair dryer at the hose to make that softer, and a little oil and it would slip right in.

banned
    Mar 2010
    I don't have a hair dryer, and have tried the oil, but I get right to the last part of the tapered area of the barb, and that is where I get stopped dead in my tracks with sore numb fingers!

mtbr member
    I have installed many magura barbs simply holding the line with a set of pliers (gently, close to the end) and then tapping the barb in with a plastic faced hammer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For the original poster:
    Why don't you use the supplied yellow wedge to hold the hose in vise and gently tap the barb in? The yellow wedge has groove to hold the hose. This method is shown in the manual and is actually easy thing to do.

Page 12 in the manual: http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/...MARTA_09_E.pdf
    Last edited by markom; 12-08-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Link to manual added

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I used the yellow wedge and still had a helluva time getting it flush!

banned
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    For the original poster:
    Why don't you use the supplied yellow wedge to hold the hose in vise and gently tap the barb in? The yellow wedge has groove to hold the hose. This method is shown in the manual and is actually easy thing to do.

Page 12 in the manual: http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/...MARTA_09_E.pdf

I don't have a wedge, I have heard that is a key part for easy installation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Was shortening the brake lines on my new Marta SL's this evening and had the same problem getting the barb flush with the end of the hose as well. I was using a plastic faced hammer to tap the barb in while holding it in the yellow wedge (although not in a vice as previously mentioned). I just could not grip the hose tight enough to hammer the barb in without the hose slipping. I ended up getting the little rubber-grippy thing that we use to remove tight lids on jars and it ended up working like a charm and provided me with enough grip to hold the hose tight enough to tap the barbs in flush. Might want to try this out the next time .

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hey guys,

Hold the line in the yellow transportation device like described earlier and if no vise is available, use some channel locks to hold the arrangement.

Make sure you allow room with the line for the inserts length or depth of the barb so you are not trying to push it down into where the vise or channel locks are also squeezing the I.D. of the line.
    Take a ball peen hammer or something similar and tap the brass insert into the line.
    The vise is the best but I rarely have to even use channel locks.
    Get aggressive with the tapping and it will insert flush.

Even if no transportation device is available, dry your fingers well and grab the hell out of the line with both hand's fingers and push the line, insert and all against a hard solid surface, I use one of the 5 mm headed steering stem face plate bolts as a perfect little "jig!"
    Good luck and let me know if we can help further.
    Jude

Members who have read this thread: 1