Magura Louise FR 180 to 160?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Magura Louise FR 180 to 160?

I have a set of Louise FR brakes that I would like to change the rear over to 160 from 180, I don't like the look of the adapter on the rear. Can I just loss the adapter, mount the caliper directly to the frame and slide in a 160 rotor?

Also, this is on a new build.

Meh.
    If it is a IS mount caliper that was originally for 160mm brakes, and an adapter was added so you could run a 20mm larger rotor, then yes, you can just get rid of the adapter and run a 160.

mtbr member
    It is an IS mount, but I am not sure if the Louise Free Ride caliper is the same as the standard Louise or if they just through in the adapter. There isn't an adapter for the front.

I also have a call into Magura.

No, that's not phonetic
    Yes, just remove the adapter and run a 160.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just recieved my louise FR 180's. Having a quick look into my package I notice there is 1 adpator(#16). I think it's for the rear. Do I require a front adaptor. I have IS front mount. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You only need an adaptor for the rear as the front 180mm caliper is a standard rear 160mm caliper.

mtbr member
    Got a reply from Magura. The rear caliper is for a 160 rotor and the adapter is to be used with the 180 rotor. As said by someone earlier I can toss the adapter and use a 160 rotor.

The front does not need an adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pricing & availability & alternatives: 180 rotor with Marta

I want to put my front Marta (160 IS mount) caliper on a Manitou Postmount fork. Adapter # 3 should take care of that, along with changing to a 180 rotor. However, once I go to the the 180, I bet I won't want to go back, but I might want to go back to my current Fox Talas (IS mount, for 160 rotor). It looks like an adapter # 16 will fix that. (???) If so, I could leave the adapters on and swap the caliper back & forth.

2 questions: these are $25 to $29 each for these at Speedgoat. Anyone know of an alternative online source? There is no local Magura dealer.

I know there are some other brands (A2Z, Gatorback, and others). Would that be asking for trouble? It actually sounds like there is enough trouble without going to a different brand.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by impatient
    I want to put my front Marta (160 IS mount) caliper on a Manitou Postmount fork. Adapter # 3 should take care of that, along with changing to a 180 rotor. However, once I go to the the 180, I bet I won't want to go back, but I might want to go back to my current Fox Talas (IS mount, for 160 rotor). It looks like an adapter # 16 will fix that. (???) If so, I could leave the adapters on and swap the caliper back & forth.

2 questions: these are $25 to $29 each for these at Speedgoat. Anyone know of an alternative online source? There is no local Magura dealer.

I know there are some other brands (A2Z, Gatorback, and others). Would that be asking for trouble? It actually sounds like there is enough trouble without going to a different brand.
    IS to PM options:

1. Get the #3 adapter and 180mm rotor.
    2. Get a new PM caliper and stick with the 160mm.
    3. Get a new PM brake set.

The website say the #13 is only for Louise (f or r) and Julie (r) only. You'll have to check with Magura to see why. You can order direct:

https://secure.magurausa.com/store/s...+Caliper+Parts

I have an extra Magura #3 adapter for when I initially opted for option 1 before switching to option 3 if you're interested. I came to the conclusion that if I'm using 180mm rotors and adapter with the Martas, I'm losing out on the lightweight benefits and better off with a direct mount Louise FR.
    Long Live Long Rides

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by impatient

You could also contact Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn high Cyclery and they could order the parts for you at competitive prices...

Members who have read this thread: 0