mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Magura Julie disc brake questions

I am in the process of building my new frame (Maverick ML7) and I was thinking of putting a Magura Julie brake up front but I have some questions before I go through with it.

First, I have no history with Magura brakes and there are not many reviews for the Julie brake in the the product reviews. The reviews for Magura products in general seem very positive especially when it comes to warranty, but what about the Julie specifically. I would love to move up to the Marta SL but I am on a budget and Jenson has them for $99.

Currently I run Avid mechanicals, front and back, and have very little problems with maintence and set up, how do the Julies compare? I have read things about needing to get the fork tabs faced before I install the brake, is this necessary? How easy was the set up?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
    Db

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by dbsantacruz
    I am in the process of building my new frame (Maverick ML7) and I was thinking of putting a Magura Julie brake up front but I have some questions before I go through with it.
    First, I have no history with Magura brakes and there are not many reviews for the Julie brake in the the product reviews. The reviews for Magura products in general seem very positive especially when it comes to warranty, but what about the Julie specifically. I would love to move up to the Marta SL but I am on a budget and Jenson has them for $99.
    Currently I run Avid mechanicals, front and back, and have very little problems with maintence and set up, how do the Julies compare? I have read things about needing to get the fork tabs faced before I install the brake, is this necessary? How easy was the set up?
    Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Db
    Well lemme tell ya. I'm a Magura person and a hydraulic person but I'll be as honest as I can.

Julie is Magura's budget brake. It's a fine brake for the money and the Louise and Marta are better brakes but not twice as good if the price is twice as much. Ya know what I mean? Julie is the heavy sister in the family. I weighed these Maguras -
    Julie 998g
    Louise 853g.
    Marta 747g.

Magura's warranty and factory help is state of the art. They will do anything that's necessary to get you right. Juile is an XC brake and cannot be considered a DH brake. Rotors are 180f/160r as standard.

Frame/fork tabs if Maguras are to be used should be faced. Then it's a semi-fiddly one-time setup job using 0.2mm shims. It's no big deal at all as it's only ever done once and takes but a few minutes. It wouldn't sway me from not buying them.

The Avid mechanicals that you have been using, as you will know, are an incredible brake. They are powerful, easy to setup and maintain and fairly cheap. They are also heavy. They are arguably (tho I don't hear many arguments to the contrary) the heaviest XC disc brake on the market. Big deal. My weights - 1057g. Avid's are a breeze to setup and don't need tab facing due to the CPS adjustment system.

Avids have more setup options for lever feel, bite and positioning.

You decide! There are no bad brakes on the market anymore.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

Members who have read this thread: 0