mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Help with Magura Marta SL

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could give me an opinion on this.

Basically, i have some play in my Marta SL lever, its nothing major, it doesnt actually annoy me when riding. Its more of the fact that i know that its there and wanted to know if this is just a normal thing with this brake?

That link should take you to a video and explanation of the issue. I feel a little bit like maybe because of the carbon lever its harder to get a tighter fit? Anyway, any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Smidge
    Last edited by Smidge; 05-16-2006 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge
    Hello,

Basically, i have some play in my Marta SL lever, its nothing major, it doesnt actually annoy me when riding. Its more of the fact that i know that its there and wanted to know if this is just a normal thing with this brake?

That link should take you to a video and explanation of the issue. I feel a little bit like maybe because of the carbon lever its harder to get a tighter fit? Anyway, any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Smidge

contact Magura directly. I had the same problem with my marta SL, and they provided me with a nice PDF document that outlined disassembly, cleaning, lubrication, and reassembly. I would pass it on, however it is on my home computer.....

TJ

MK_
    carpe maņana
    That fore/aft play you can get rid of by messing around with the reach adjust screw. I had that same thing happen to one of my Louise FRs, and I eventualy solved it by screwing the adjuster screw all the way in and then screwing it out to get the correct reach, or the other way around, in first, out later.

The up/down play is typical. All my Louises do that. Replacing the levers and bushings they rotate on with new set will probably help a little bit, but in a short while it will be back to the same.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    i have played with the reach adjust screw. It makes no difference.

There is no up down play really to speak of. The brakes are 2 months old and havent been used all that much. As for replacing the levers., well thats just not going to happen after 2 months use.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    i have played with the reach adjust screw. It makes no difference.

There is no up down play really to speak of. The brakes are 2 months old and havent been used all that much. As for replacing the levers., well thats just not going to happen after 2 months use.
    Replacing levers would help if you had up down play, which you say you don't. The video made it look like it did, sorry. Seriously, the trick lies in the reach adjust screw. Put the 3mm wrench in there and wiggle the lever while turning the screw, you'll feel it tighten up. The trick is to make it stay tight. It takes a few tries.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

meh....
    Hello,

Cheers,

Smidge
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems much to do about nothing. My Louise FR's have way more play than that, work well and haven't given me any problems.

Monte

mtbr member
    Monte, i kind of agree. It doesnt seem like anything serious really. I just wouldnt of expected it from a brake thats only 2 months old. As i have said from the start. I am seriously happy with my brakes.

mtbr member
    Magura UK have been in touch and have asked me to send them in.

I will update you on the outcome as soon as i get them back

Cheers,

Smidge

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I don't have hardly any play in my Louise FR levers

Now, the Marta brakes I had were loose the whole time I owned 'em. The carbon ones just feels underbuilt for anything but racing. I have no clue why anyone even screws around with Marta's because the Louise's are superior in my opinion. I have owned both.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    I do race, i want a super light brake thats powerful, with good modulation etc. The marta SL fits that bill perfectly. The lousie are good for trail riding but i would prefer my martas on my race bike than lousie.

Anyhow, the brakes are in the post to Magura UK as we speak. A big thanks has to be given to Austin from Magura USA for all his help. Thanks!!!!!

I will post an update when i get them back.

Members who have read this thread: 0