Magura Brakes Rubbing????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Magura Brakes Rubbing????

Hi,
    I admit I am no bike mechanic....I have Magura Louise brakes and recently took my rear wheel off and remounted it and now can't get it aligned to get my brake pads where they don't rub. I have done and undone the skewer several times in order to ensure that the wheel is aligned but with no luck.

the manual that came with the brakes says nothign in it about adjusting pad alignment.

Any ideas?

thanks

Matt

ride hard take risks
    Have you pushed on the seat with your chest while tightening the QR???
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    If your brakes are rubbing like something's totally wrong, then something probably is.

But if you're just experiencing a minor rub, then you probably just need to fine tune your caliper mounting bolts.

I have Marta SL's on both my MTB's, and as long as I perform a minor readjustment of my calipers about once every 2 months, as the brake pads wear, or immediately following pad replacement, they are as trouble free as it gets.

First, loosen both of the bolts that cinch your brake caliper to your fork/swingarm/adaptor just slightly (1/2 turn loose should do). Now confirm your brake caliper can readily move side-to-side slightly under the bolts (that's the purpose of the elongated mounting bolt holes in your caliper), give the wheel an easy spin, and apply the brake lever for the caliper being adjusted. Hold it, don't let off. With your other hand, start tightening the caliper bolts. Cinch one down carefully, then the other, taking care not to allow the caliper position to be negatively influenced by overtightening one bolt before tightening the other (causing the clockwise motion of the tightened bolt to "twist" the caliper out of it's natural "clamped" position as determined by the brake lever you're still holding in the other hand.

After tightening both bolts, release your hold on the lever, and spin the wheel. If it still rubs, try again. Sometimes the tightening of the bolts changes the position of the caliper with brakes applied, so the pads rub, but usually, after one or two tries, I find the sweet spot pretty easily.....and no more pad rub. Once you get used to it, it's a very quick and easy procedure.

With my Magura brakes, I've yet to encounter brake rub I can't easily get rid of via this method. Good luck.

Singletrack Mind
    Late to the post, I'm searching the forum for some Magura info too. I've put almost 5,000 miles on my Martas. They were perfect for the first 3K or so, then I started to get slight, constant rubbing. I played endlessly with shims, replaced rotors, cleaned the calipers with a toothbrush, then compressed air, finally soaked the calipers in mineral oil to try to loosen up grime and the piston seals. I still couldn't get rid of the rub, which is why I'm the proud new owner of some Formula RX's.

I think that the piston seals eventually wear, and don't allow the pistons to retract enough to clear the rotor. Formula pads come with a sheet metal spring between them to help with pad retraction.

OK, now to see if anybody's done a Magura rebuild through BTI, the American service center. I'd like to get my Martas working on another bike.

mtbr member
    There's a procedure outlined on the Magura website called "loosening a stuck piston", or something like that. I had to do it a week or so ago to get rid of some rubbing and it worked great, and easy to do. I guess the pistons move so little they sometimes end up getting stuck in the grit and need a little help being freed up. It's worth a shot.

Singletrack Mind
    Yep. Saw that, did it, didn't fix my problem. I have a feeling the seals themselves are worn out.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    Yep. Saw that, did it, didn't fix my problem. I have a feeling the seals themselves are worn out.
    Replace the seals then.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Members who have read this thread: 1