Lubing Disc brakes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Lubing Disc brakes?

So I finished my first winter ride on my BB5 disc brakes. Lots of salt and water, I know how I used to take care of my old brakes.... what is the best way to maintain these through winter?

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    No different than summer. How is there salt on trails?
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

it's NY ; )

They salt everything ; )
    Once snow starts falling, all the local trails close for bikes, both for XC skiers and to protect the trail. So I am forced out of the roads. I never lubed anything on the BB5 in the summer, guess I will Google that.... thanks

Never trust a fart
    If you are having issues with the BB5's during your riding, THEN look for a solution. Don't create a problem by starting to lube stuff.

I've never had to lube my BB7's. 2 years on them now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    If you are having issues with the BB5's during your riding, THEN look for a solution. Don't create a problem by starting to lube stuff.
    Thats actually a rather ignorant approach. Its called preventive maintenence. Perform routine maintenence, like lubrication, before you are stranded on the side of the road with non-functional brakes.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I've never done much with mine but I would think you could add a drop or two of lube in the center "pivot shaft" area but not enough to get on your disc's... I run BB7's...

Oh, probably one of the best things is to rinse with fresh water if you know you've been on salty roads...

Of course if they get squeeky, just spray the whole disc with lube!
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    Thats actually a rather ignorant approach. Its called preventive maintenence. Perform routine maintenence, like lubrication, before you are stranded on the side of the road with non-functional brakes.
    Its not arrogant. Its direct and to the point.

I know all about preventative maintenance as I work in a LBS as a mechanic, and have worked on vehicles professionally for over 13 years. Some things require attention before issues have developed. Some things don't. Lubing brakes - which if not done carefully - will cause more headache than what its worth.

With the BB5's there is no servicing instructions that SRAM provides. Only with the BB7's. And with the BB7's the reason for a sticking caliper piston is usually due to a damaged or out of position o-ring in the caliper body. So unless you have other information that disputes this or other corrective information, please post it up. If not, stay out of the conversation with useless posts.

Do not lube anything that doesn't need lubing. Keep it clean. Use common sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Thanks

Thanks for thoughts, yes I was looking for PM ideas, I am not having problems, but I hate the salt! On my beater bike, I always rinsed it off and lubed the pivot points, just wasn't sure about the disc brakes. I searched the SRAM site and didn't find caliber PM ideas....

Thanks again

Never trust a fart
    Unfortunately Avid considers the BB5 entry level and I'm not going to say disposeable, but definitely not as high quality as the BB7's or the other models. This is like Crank Brothers with their Smarty pedals. Yes, you can pop the end cap off, but they are not fully rebuildable like their other pedals.

Just try and keep them clean. Thats all I do with my BB7's. No issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Its not arrogant.

I never said arrogant - I said IGNORANT.

I guess you can add to your impressive resume there - poor reading comprehesion.

CactusJackSlade probably has it right though, just flush things out with fresh water. While running the water over the caliber, actuate the brakes to get any grit worked out.
    Some oil in the cables will help make them last longer as well. I would pull the housing loose at the lever and work a light oil down into the cable and housing.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Members who have read this thread: 0