Lubed piston, rebuilt caliper, piston still sticky, now what?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Lubed piston, rebuilt caliper, piston still sticky, now what?

So I've rebuilt the front Juicy 7 on my bike and lubed and re-lubed the sticky piston, but it still won't actuate like the opposing one leading to lots of rotor drag. For a long time I thought there was something wrong with my fork dropouts because the rotor wouldn't stay centered until I discovered one piston protruding more than the other. Any suggestions? Should I send it back to Avid for them to take a look? It's damn frustrating.
    Thanks for any help!
    -jon

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by jlang002
    So I've rebuilt the front Juicy 7 on my bike and lubed and re-lubed the sticky piston, but it still won't actuate like the opposing one leading to lots of rotor drag. For a long time I thought there was something wrong with my fork dropouts because the rotor wouldn't stay centered until I discovered one piston protruding more than the other. Any suggestions? Should I send it back to Avid for them to take a look? It's damn frustrating.
    Thanks for any help!
    -jon
    I'd recommend getting the caliper rebuild kit and replacing the pistons.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

...idios...
    A piston seal will go long before a piston. The seals are responsible for the return of the piston, so when one fails you end up with a piston that won't retract. Unless there's obvious damage to the piston, replacing the seal should be enough to fix your problem.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    A piston seal will go long before a piston. The seals are responsible for the return of the piston, so when one fails you end up with a piston that won't retract. Unless there's obvious damage to the piston, replacing the seal should be enough to fix your problem.
    I don't think it's a retraction issue. The one piston won't actuate unless I hold the other one in its bore. I was wondering why I had to keep moving my caliper away from my wheel to keep it centered. Probably still a seal issue, but might as well replace the pistons since they come with the kit. If this doesn't solve it I give up on the Juicys...I've had so many issues with these things. Great deals on K24s out there!
    Thanks!
    -jon

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    As long as they both move it should be okay if you can just get it centered. On my brakes, one of the pistons moves slower so I just offset the caliper and it works now

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    As long as they both move it should be okay if you can just get it centered. On my brakes, one of the pistons moves slower so I just offset the caliper and it works now
    The one piston really doesn't move at all leading to pretty significant rotor drag. I have to keep moving the caliper out and away from the wheel before every ride. I'll be picking up a rebuild kit on Sunday and seeing if I can get the thing working. If not, I'm springing for Formula.
    Thanks!
    -jon

Members who have read this thread: 0