low budget brake opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

low budget brake opinions

over from the 29er forum.
    need to get some hydo-brakes for a 29er FS.

Cambria Bikes is blowing out new Juicy 5's (2007's) for $59 each.
    Can I beat this??

At this point, price is really my deciding factor. Am I better off getting used brakes that are higher end for the same price? (is that possible?) What would you suggest?

I got a pair of Magura Martas for my race bike for $100 they were described as in good working condition but my front needs to be bled and needed new pads and one lever was really sloppy with alot of play. But is that a better route overall though since once the problems are resolved its a better brake?

Also I didn't have alot of luck with my searches, but if there are threads that already cover this, just reply with the link.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Do they have both front and rear? you can also get a use brake from the classified section. I've seen some good price there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I believe they do have both front and rear.
    I perused the classifieds, not much right now, but I'm sure something might come up.

Thoughts on new and lowend verses used and higher end?

AZ
    banned
    Have to be hydro's ? Consider BB7's for a very good , inexpensive brake . 120.00 for the Juicy 5's is a good deal if they have front and rears . I think I would prefer new brakes over high end used , but thats just my two cents .

mtbr member
    This is up to you, and your comfort level of working on the brake. If you buy used brake chances are you need new bleed. Shimano are the easiest, then Avid, Magura, Hope are the most interesting.

New brakes come with warranty, I'm not sure if it apply to your 2007 J5, sounded like a take offs OEM stuffs. You may need to bleed it.

Members who have read this thread: 0