Loud, vibrating brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Loud, vibrating brakes

I have a 2008 Gary Fisher Piranha. After using the rear brake for a while, it starts to vibrate and make this air horn type sound. The guys at the LBS where I bought the bike say it's a common problem on Gary Fishers and they don't know of a fix. The brake is the hydraulic Shimano M485. I've had the pads replaced twice but it didn't do anything.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Not uncommon with Hyrdaulics.

Have had the same vibration noise (NOT to be mistaken with a high pitched squeel which is caused by the pads), on my old Hayes Nine and now Juicy 5's. I Have found it's less to do with the pads and more to do with an incorrectly centered caliper. A "sticky" piston can also be a culprit (one that does not move freely in and out identical to the one on the opposite side.)

Most probably its the actually backplate of the pads contact with the piston. A lot of people apply a sticky "lock - tite" like solution to keep the pad stuck onto the piston so it doesn't slide around and vibrate causing the whaling noise.

mtbr member
    another reason to go back to v-brakes. less parts to fail and easier to get rid of the squeal.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead
    another reason to go back to v-brakes. less parts to fail and easier to get rid of the squeal.

Geez I gues I should weld some posts on my bike cause I can't seem to get my caliper centered.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead
    Stupidest comment on the week.

mtbr member

Appropriate question for the topic...

Setup 1: Fox Talas RL + Juicy 7 = ninja quiet...

Setup 2: Rockshox PIKE + Juicy 7 = howling like that of a thousand tortured souls...

I can't ride with this kind of noise because it's embarrassing, but I hate the Talas RL setup... As an FYI, the caliper mounts directly to the the PIKE, but to a mounting bracket on the Talas...

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    centering of the calipers, ensuring everything is square.

I have also had success putting a chamfer on the leading edge of the brake pad to eliminate squeal / vibration.

Meh.
    You can try changing pad compound, rotor, check all fasteners for proper torque, put squeel stop on the back of the pads, etc. Even changing the spoke tension could help. Or by adding a bit more oil or grease to the lowers.

Are you positive that your Pike is a post mount? I am fairly certain that all years of the Pike have been IS mount.

Members who have read this thread: 0