looking for weight comparison on complete brake setups- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

looking for weight comparison on complete brake setups

i think i have seen some done before but i can not find them..

i am looking for some new brakes for my build,
    i ride,dh,fr,am and want the lightest and best brake out there..
    i know the lightest might not be the best but im looking for the best lightest one..

i weight 220,bike will be about 35ish pounds
    i have elixer crs right now and want something better...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula to the Rescue

You should put the Formula 'Ones' at the top of your list. Get the 200F/180R rotor combination.
    These brakes are the strongest/lightest combination that you will find. They are not inexpensive, but that is what quality costs.
    If you want to go inexpensive, Shimano is a good value.
    Cheers

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    check out sicklines.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman
    You should put the Formula 'Ones' at the top of your list. Get the 200F/180R rotor combination.
    These brakes are the strongest/lightest combination that you will find. They are not inexpensive, but that is what quality costs.
    If you want to go inexpensive, Shimano is a good value.
    Cheers

thanks i will start looking at those too...

mtbr member
    I have found weights for Saints at Front 329 g / Rear 342 g with no rotors on Sicklines. They did not have hydro line length listed. (671 g total for front and rear calipers lines and levers)

Also found some listings for the Formula the ONE's and not sure if this is correct. Front 850mm line 239 g / Rear 1500mm line 252 g. (491 g for front and rear calipers lines and levers.)

Formulas are 180 g lighter than the Saints not including the rotors. Approx 0.4 pounds according to these numbers.

I am looking at these two and am a fan of Shimano brakes. I know how to set them up and like how they work. Not sure about the Formulas. Prices on Universal Cycles with the 15% discount were Saint $379 and The One around $500. There may be better prices out there on each. 0.4 pound difference for $121 is not bad considering what other lightweight parts can cost.

Did not look up comparable Hope brakes.
    Last edited by bubba13; 11-08-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13
    I have found weights for Saints at Front 329 g / Rear 342 g with no rotors on Sicklines. They did not have hydro line length listed. (671 g total for front and rear calipers lines and levers)

Also found some listings for the Formula the ONE's and not sure if this is correct. Front 850mm line 239 g / Rear 1500mm line 252 g. (491 g for front and rear calipers lines and levers.)

Formulas are 180 g lighter than the Saints not including the rotors. Approx 0.4 pounds according to these numbers.

I am looking at these two and am a fan of Shimano brakes. I know how to set them up and like how they work. Not sure about the Formulas. Prices on Universal Cycles with the 15% discount were Saint $379 and The One around $500. There may be better prices out there on each. 0.4 pound difference for $121 is not bad considering what other lightweight parts can cost.

Did not look up comparable Hope brakes.

thanks for the info.....
    it is between hopes m4's or v2's..not sure the diference between the two and formulas the one's...

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Weights: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php (it's missing a lot of recent stuff)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a few weights for you from brakes i have owned. All weighed on an alpine digital scale which rounds to the nearest ten grams i think.
    These are for lever, hose and caliper.

Hope tech v2 old style caliper front 330g/ 0.72lb

Hope tech v2 new style caliper front 300g/

Hope tech m4 plastic hose front 270g/0.59

The complete weight for my tech v2 with 203 floating rotor and all bolts/ front adaptor was 570g/1.25lb. So less 30g for the new style caliper which is machined more than the old one.

I would say the weight of v2/m4 will be very close with the same hose, just the discs will vary, with the v2 being around 40g heavier for a 203. 200g/0.44 versus 160-170g/0.35lb

As for Formula Ones, i did own the old ones for a while and they were very light but i can't find the numbers. I can't speak for the new ones (which are even lighter again), but i didn't like the long lever throw or the way they chewed through pads, and i do mean chewed through pads. With fresh pads in the brakes did feel stunning though.

I would say the v2 are not overkill for any type of riding, they are really easy to control with a bit more power than an m4 (although not brick wall power that the new Saints are supposed to have), and they have large, thick pads that last for a long time. Plus, the fact they look amazing doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by A MAN CALLED HORSE; 11-09-2010 at 04:47 AM.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i dont like the leaver throw of the aivids cr's that i have so if the ones is that bad i dont want them either..
    i felt of some hopes and like the feel of the leavers no play in them...

so now it looks like the v2's are stronger than m4's but the m4 has more piston's?
    not sure about the hopes.... but i know that is what i want just not sure which ones...
    any info on the hope will be nice...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    I've got a few weights for you from brakes i have owned. All weighed on an alpine digital scale which rounds to the nearest ten grams i think.
    These are for lever, hose and caliper.

Hope tech v2 old style caliper front 330g/ 0.72lb

Hope tech v2 new style caliper front 300g/

Hope tech m4 plastic hose front 270g/0.59

The complete weight for my tech v2 with 203 floating rotor and all bolts/ front adaptor was 570g/1.25lb. So less 30g for the new style caliper which is machined more than the old one.

I would say the weight of v2/m4 will be very close with the same hose, just the discs will vary, with the v2 being around 40g heavier for a 203. 200g/0.44 versus 160-170g/0.35lb

As for Formula Ones, i did own the old ones for a while and they were very light but i can't find the numbers. I can't speak for the new ones (which are even lighter again), but i didn't like the long lever throw or the way they chewed through pads, and i do mean chewed through pads. With fresh pads in the brakes did feel stunning though.

I would say the v2 are not overkill for any type of riding, they are really easy to control with a bit more power than an m4 (although not brick wall power that the new Saints are supposed to have), and they have large, thick pads that last for a long time. Plus, the fact they look amazing doesn't hurt.
    Thanks for the info on the Formulas and technical specs. on the Hope's, I have been thinking of purchasing the Saints but would need to step the rotor size down to lower the power a bit. I want to be able to switch wheel sets easily and that would not work if I had to run a 203 for the XT trailbike.

I am now very interested in possibly going Hope Tech V2 with 183 F/R rotors on both bikes. (7" and 5" F.S.) If the power is really less than the Saints, and more controllable, then the V2 should work across the board? It would also be nice to not deal with getting used to a different power brake when I switch bikes. The V2 would be about a 50 g savings over the Saint for the whole system.

I also like the simplicity of the V2 with fewer pistons. I guess the only real question I have is are the Hope V2's noisy? Asking because I ride with a friend that runs Hope brakes and they always make a high pitch squeal. I know exactly when he is braking even if he is behind me. I think he is running last years X model and Mini's before that.

Thanks!
    If I am getting too far off track with the subject matter please send a PM
    Last edited by bubba13; 11-09-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wouldn't worry about noise, they are no worse than any other brake.

As for 183/183, that would work fine, but looks wise i think a bike is more balanced with a larger rotor on the front. You could maybe buy one set with the smaller discs to try, and if you want more power on the front or would prefer the look as i say, then buy the other set with larger discs.

Either way i'm sure you'd be happy.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Members who have read this thread: 0