Looking for good v-brake pads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Looking for good v-brake pads

Hey Guys
    I'm building up and old BRC Gonzo into a SS and am looking for a really good set of v-brake pads. Back in the day I had a similar bike but I'm hoping that between then and now someone has developed some great pads. If it helps the bike is setup with Deore LX. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Kool stop pads.
    I like the dual compound, but all the blacks are good too.
    https://www.treefortbikes.com/produc...-Compound.html

Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks, those look good.
    Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    I've had great luck with xtr's

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey Straw,

My experience has been that Kool Stops aren't anything special. I've also used Avid Rim Wranglers, Ritchey double compounds, and Kool Stop greens, for ceramic rims, albeit I used them on normal rims (they operate like normal). Shimano pads are also not anything special. In my experience, Delta Aztecs seem to be the only ones that have any noticeably better bite than the basic standard.

I recently got some trials compound v-brake pads from discobrakes.com. I'd never run trials compound pads, before, and I'm always looking for more power, hence I got them. They are grabby and noisy, but not so grabby that I don't find them useless for even just normal riding. They are on my commuter bike, and I appreciate and can use the increased power. The biggest caveat with them is that they have very little power when wet. They are worse than standard pads when wet, hence discobrakes info. is a bit lacking. Also, the noise might bother some people.

But, for standard riding, I'd recommend getting Delta Aztecs.

mtbr member
    i have the delta aztecs too and i like them. I just find that they get loud and desinigrate in the wet. Altought i noticed the most wear after riding in the snow, now i have discs so it its not a problem. I would deffinaly reccomend the aztecs
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsromich
    i have the delta aztecs too and i like them. I just find that they get loud and desinigrate in the wet. Altought i noticed the most wear after riding in the snow, now i have discs so it its not a problem. I would deffinaly reccomend the aztecs
    2nd that. I had the Aztec2's (don't know if there was any difference between those and the originals) and they were the best rim brake pad I used.

Never trust a fart
    I've used the Aztec's and the Kool Stops. Both are a good brake pad. I like the Kool Stops a little bit more due to the leading wiper edge. Helps with mud/debris clearing before the brake pad fully contacts the rim.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I've used the Aztec's and the Kool Stops. Both are a good brake pad. I like the Kool Stops a little bit more due to the leading wiper edge. Helps with mud/debris clearing before the brake pad fully contacts the rim.
    Yep, great in the PNW...we always used the full Scott Mathauser compound (Salmon) versions.

Members who have read this thread: 0