Looking for Brake levers for BB7- Mtbr.com
    Religion = Non-thinking

Looking for Brake levers for BB7

Going to make the jump from VBrakes to BB7's on my gf's Myka,

She doesn't want to use her ugly stock levers and we're looking for some all-black/dark colored levers.

some questions:
    -Where can i find the Avid Fr-5's (black/black) for the lowest price in stock?
    -What about the Speed Dial 7's? How are they diff than the Fr-5's?
    Last edited by louisssss; 11-17-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    RH SL Pro

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I'd go for the speed dials, just for the extra tuning option

Religion = Non-thinking
    whats the differnces between the two?
    RH SL Pro

the speed dial (red dial in the front) let's you adjust the point where the brake engage, in other words you can make both levers' contact point and "feeling" match

Religion = Non-thinking
    i see, what would be considered a "good deal" on the SD7 levers?
    RH SL Pro

the jensonusa price of the link on your post is pretty ok.

Religion = Non-thinking
    ordered! will have lbs install on some BB7's + WTB Laserdiscs + XT Hubs on my gf's Myka and report back!
    RH SL Pro

cool... hope she likes them!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    ordered! will have lbs install on some BB7's + WTB Laserdiscs + XT Hubs on my gf's Myka and report back!
    Excellent, but do do yourself a BIG favor. Follow the set up instructions that come with the brakes EXACTLY. No short cuts or doin' the guy thing! They are really easy to set up and perform very well, but only if set up properly. It's quite different from setting up hydraulic brakes, and most other mechanicals. So follow them directions! You'll have 0 problems, and the brakes will perform like they should.

Just some friendly advice!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Always Learning
    Tres chic would have been Paul Love Levers in black or Speed Dial Ultimates.

My advice would really be to use the black brake teflon coated slick stainless cables from Jagwire. Things will feel mushy in comparison using standard galvanized cables, but those black teflon coated ones totally make the BB7 a brake to reckon with due to the 30% or so less friction.

Front cable here

Rear cable here

g3h6o3
    Just to be precise, the speed dial doesn't change the bite point. It changes the lever pull ratio, which of course has an impact on bite point.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Just to be precise, the speed dial doesn't change the bite point. It changes the lever pull ratio, which of course has an impact on bite point.
    correct...sorry for oversimplifying

AZ
    banned
    Use good cables and housing , it makes a bigger difference than you would think .

Religion = Non-thinking
    i think the BB7's will come with cables, no? or do i really need to get a set of cables also...

i was just going to bring the levers into my lbs to have them install it. they quotes me $100 installed for the BB7's...
    RH SL Pro

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    i think the BB7's will come with cables, no? or do i really need to get a set of cables also...

i was just going to bring the levers into my lbs to have them install it. they quotes me $100 installed for the BB7's...
    Unless you got some special package, no, they do not come with cables.

Get good cables/housing, they make a HUGE difference, more than the levers themselves. I really like the Jagwire Ripchord brake cables for use with BB7s. Abso-freaking-lutely worth the extra money (they run about $20-25 for a complete set).

$100 for a brake install? I think you may want to do this yourself. It will help you keep them adjusted properly (which is something you need to do every few rides with bb7s) if you know how to set them up to start with. All you need is a et of hex wrenches and a cable/housing cutter (which will pay for itself the first time you use it).

AZ
    banned
    For $ 100.00 I would learn to do it myself . You should know how to work on these anyway , as has been said they require frequent adjustment .

Religion = Non-thinking
    no i mean $100 for the F&R bb7's + installation.

can someone link me to some decent cables, not looking to spend much... for the f&r?
    RH SL Pro

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    no i mean $100 for the F&R bb7's + installation.

can someone link me to some decent cables, not looking to spend much... for the f&r?
    Oh, that's actually a really good price

Jagwire Ripcord. Google it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I put SD7s on my bike with my BB7s. now i just need better cables
    2010 Trek 4300 Disc

banned
    Oct 2009
    since BB7s are so inexpensive treat yourself to prem brake housing and cables.Icycles.com has best price on bulk housing and on cables.I use xt or xtr level housing and cable and run full lenght housing from lever to brake.off the shelf? try full metal jackets by Avid, learn best way to install cables and change every season and you will be rewarded with brakes that approach hydro brakes

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sexytime
    since BB7s are so inexpensive treat yourself to prem brake housing and cables.Icycles.com has best price on bulk housing and on cables.I use xt or xtr level housing and cable and run full lenght housing from lever to brake.off the shelf? try full metal jackets by Avid, learn best way to install cables and change every season and you will be rewarded with brakes that approach hydro brakes
    Jagwire Ripcord brake set. Has everything you need (cables, housing, doo-dads) and sells for $24-26.

BB

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Jagwire Ripcord brake set. Has everything you need (cables, housing, doo-dads) and sells for $24-26.

BB
    can u link me to everything else i'll need other than: sd7's, bb7 rotors+calipers
    RH SL Pro

Religion = Non-thinking
    http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Ripcor...8599591&sr=8-8

is this enough and everything i will need to to get the BB7's + SD7's working?
    green to match the gf's blk/green myka
    RH SL Pro

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Tres chic would have been Paul Love Levers in black or Speed Dial Ultimates.

My advice would really be to use the black brake teflon coated slick stainless cables from Jagwire. Things will feel mushy in comparison using standard galvanized cables, but those black teflon coated ones totally make the BB7 a brake to reckon with due to the 30% or so less friction.

Front cable here

Rear cable here
    whats the diff between ordering these two items above & this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Kit.aspx

does it have enough cable for both F&R brakes? need help quick, want to order tonight
    RH SL Pro

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    why are cables so important, its a moving metal coil? How much better can a expensive cable be?

Always Learning
    whats the diff between ordering these two items above & this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Kit.aspx

does it have enough cable for both F&R brakes? need help quick, want to order tonight
    The kit you linked (either the green or the black or whatever color) comes with the cables (same cables I had linked above - the black teflon coated ones), housing and all of the ferrules, tips, donuts, end caps, liner that will need to do both your front and rear brake with a full cable housing run.

The links I provided were for the cables only (assuming somebody already had housing and wanted to move from standard galvanized cables to the black teflon coated slicker cables, or wanted to replace their worn out cables).

So - yes, order the entire kit if that is what you need.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 11-19-2009 at 06:30 AM.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    why are cables so important, its a moving metal coil? How much better can a expensive cable be?
    Try it and you will see.

Standard galvanized works just fine, but I have come to prefer the "oh so easy lever pull and return rate" of these teflon coated cables for 1 finger braking. They are what Jagwire puts in the Ripcord brake kits (and the thinner version in the Ripcord shifting kits). That's where I first encountered them. I've also run standard galvanized cables in my Ripcord housing, but they are not as slick and a bit "mushy" compared to the black coated cables. If you believe Jagwire's claim that these cables have 30% less friction than a non coated cable, then the extra $'s might be worth it for you. I can't claim the exact percentage of less friction, but it is enough to absolutely notice. Hence, that's why I run them and suggest them to others. The feel at the lever is worth the price.

Anyway, if you want to trick out your BB7's (or an earlier model of the Avids), great levers, housing, rotors and yes - great cables all combine to give one the best feel and braking performance.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Teflon coated makes a big difference, and the housing can make a HUGE difference for brakes. Silky smooth action, and with housing that is more resistant to compression, the brakes have a much more solid feel. Less mushy, feel more like hydraulic brakes. They don't need to be THAT expensive, but the difference between standard cable and housing for $10 and Ripcords for $25 is quite noticeable, IMO.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Ripcor...8599591&sr=8-8

is this enough and everything i will need to to get the BB7's + SD7's working?
    green to match the gf's blk/green myka
    Yep, you are good to go.

banned
    Oct 2009
    I buy bulk shimano SLR brake housing at $19.95 for 25 ft, thats enough for years of maintainence, Jagwire housing $14.94 for 25 ft at ICYCLEUSA.COM. I think we all agree at least moderate grade cable and housing is worth the money to have uber BB7 performance. .Maybe you want to invest in a good cable cutter ECT.Dude..what is the point of mail ordering to save money than paying the LBS to install? most of us search for the best price on parts then do our own wrenching, cable are easy to install and you will save a ton of money instead of running down to the shop for everything.typically LBS gets pissed you did not buy parts from them trhen you come in there with your ultra discounted part that they could never price match.I use LBS sometimes if I do not have a mega expensive tool that I would use a few times
    Last edited by sexytime; 11-19-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Religion = Non-thinking
    I wouldcw gotten the levers from them but they said try can't get the black colored avid levers, only silver. I always give my PBS a chance to price match or at least get close enough... But when they can't even get the item I will def but online
    RH SL Pro

Aug 2009
    I wouldcw gotten the levers from them but they said try can't get the black colored avid levers, only silver. I always give my PBS a chance to price match or at least get close enough... But when they can't even get the item I will def but online
    you are very lucky you LBS will do that for you. My LBS is MSRP or nothing. They never ever have a sale on anything.

Religion = Non-thinking
    you are very lucky you LBS will do that for you. My LBS is MSRP or nothing. They never ever have a sale on anything.
    that sucks major balls, even bikes at MSRP??? tell me more.
    my lbs sold me my RH SL Pro for $1300 flat, my cousin his SJ HT Comp for $1500 flat and Myka (top of the line) for $900 flat.
    accesories: 2xarmadillo tires for $60/set. Park Chain Gang cleaning kit + Pedros tire levers + Prolink lube for $30 flat, among some others. they are not the BEST though but i do get some kind of discount

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Kit.aspx
    sorry to be a bugger but this is enough for installing new brakes right? there won't be anything else i need and this is the best cable set there is for the money and is what everyone is recommending?
    RH SL Pro

Aug 2009
    LBS I go to is in a rich part of Westchester, so they dont need to cut prices. Sadly it was the only specialized dealer in my area and they offer good service with bikes bought there.

As for cables though how are the Alligator Cable With Housing found here http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/157...th-Housing.htm

My brother bought these as per somebodies recommendation on this site, has not installed them yet, but how are they?

Also how do you properly fit the cable for the front brake.

banned
    Oct 2009
    you can buy quality housing by the foot and save LOTS of money...you interested in that? cable maintainence in one of the easier jobs to do, either way buying by the foot or going with cable/housing kits you should learn how to do on your own and have trhe satisfaction of doing the best job with free labor...you keep in mind that replacing every season is mandatory as housing cracks and is a high wear and tear items, cable tools are cheap at pricepoint.com they have a "house brand" line of tools.....cheers mate.

Religion = Non-thinking
    you can buy quality housing by the foot and save LOTS of money...you interested in that? cable maintainence in one of the easier jobs to do, either way buying by the foot or going with cable/housing kits you should learn how to do on your own and have trhe satisfaction of doing the best job with free labor...you keep in mind that replacing every season is mandatory as housing cracks and is a high wear and tear items, cable tools are cheap at pricepoint.com they have a "house brand" line of tools.....cheers mate.
    i am down to learn how to do maint on bikes, but as of now i dont know much of how to do that stuff other than install a handlebar/seatpost.

dont know how to adjust brakes/derailleurs or anything. its better to just pay the lbs $20 to get the brakes (lets say for $80) and installed for 20 for $100 bb7's. +, its not my bike...
    RH SL Pro

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    i am down to learn how to do maint on bikes, but as of now i dont know much of how to do that stuff other than install a handlebar/seatpost.

dont know how to adjust brakes/derailleurs or anything. its better to just pay the lbs $20 to get the brakes (lets say for $80) and installed for 20 for $100 bb7's. +, its not my bike...
    Actually, even $100 for both bb7's is a good price (cheapest I saw them for online was $90 for a pair last time I bought them), so they are doing the install for next to nothing. I'd say this LBS is more than earning your business

banned
    Oct 2009
    you do have one hell of an LBS, but in the long run you want to be dogging them for brake and cable adjustment ECT? Park tool,SRAM, this site hs free info on bike brake maintainence to take care of your bike or others,the money you potentially save can buy you sweet components.
    Last edited by sexytime; 11-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Religion = Non-thinking
    not eactly, they "ripped" me off by selling me a Recon SL OEM take off that was dusty sitting on their floor for $275. Me, being uneducated didn't know it wasn't worth $275, so i bought it thinking it was the **** of shits! Ended up not using it and getting a bike with a Reba instead.

so here i am now trying to sell it for $200 shipped...
    RH SL Pro

banned
    Oct 2009
    LBS I go to is in a rich part of Westchester, so they dont need to cut prices. Sadly it was the only specialized dealer in my area and they offer good service with bikes bought there.

As for cables though how are the Alligator Cable With Housing found here http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/157...th-Housing.htm

My brother bought these as per somebodies recommendation on this site, has not installed them yet, but how are they?

Also how do you properly fit the cable for the front brake.
    I tried their products..pretty low end stuff, their cables are ok but the housing is stiff and crude, try Shimano Dura Ace deraillleur housing and cables...tour de France quality shifting then go back to alligator crap......compare...compare...compare

banned
    Oct 2009
    not eactly, they "ripped" me off by selling me a Recon SL OEM take off that was dusty sitting on their floor for $275. Me, being uneducated didn't know it wasn't worth $275, so i bought it thinking it was the **** of shits! Ended up not using it and getting a bike with a Reba instead.

OEM typically has different internals tham aftermarket forks, they skimp on tech and sell in bulk to bike companies, I have a recon 351 aftermarket that rocks, the SL does not have lockout? that does suck,Rockshox is very good again after being aquired by SRAM.Don't get me wrong LBS can be good for repairs you are not willing to do..bottom line is if you f#$k it up you have to live with it..is ti worth the risk to do your own repairs however cable maintainence is easy with a little patience.

Aug 2009

When My brother got a Tora 318 put on his Trek the more local LBS (where he got his bike) was trying hard to push the forks they had. My brother went in and asked how much it would be to install the Tora as he cracked his RST Gila. Guy at the bike shop said $50, but tried to push us what he had in stock. To him, rockshox were rockshox, there was no distinction between year and model. He kept saying ive got a box of rockshox. He was trying to push us Mid 90's forks like they were the best and equal to today's technology. Just to note the shocks he was trying to sell for $300 bucks still had boots on them My brother said I have already ordered the replacement, im just interested in the install.

Religion = Non-thinking
    OEM typically has different internals tham aftermarket forks, they skimp on tech and sell in bulk to bike companies, I have a recon 351 aftermarket that rocks, the SL does not have lockout? that does suck,Rockshox is very good again after being aquired by SRAM.Don't get me wrong LBS can be good for repairs you are not willing to do..bottom line is if you f#$k it up you have to live with it..is ti worth the risk to do your own repairs however cable maintainence is easy with a little patience.
    my Recon SL has Lockout and pretty much all same features as the Recon SL sold as aftermarket retail

When My brother got a Tora 318 put on his Trek the more local LBS (where he got his bike) was trying hard to push the forks they had. My brother went in and asked how much it would be to install the Tora as he cracked his RST Gila. Guy at the bike shop said $50, but tried to push us what he had in stock. To him, rockshox were rockshox, there was no distinction between year and model. He kept saying ive got a box of rockshox. He was trying to push us Mid 90's forks like they were the best and equal to today's technology. Just to note the shocks he was trying to sell for $300 bucks still had boots on them My brother said I have already ordered the replacement, im just interested in the install.
    lol what a shitty guy/shop hahaha. my lbs guys aren't the best at keeping up to date, but they wont try to sell me a mid 90's fork LOL

but ANYWAY, lets get back to brake levers, is this the kit i'd need and is the best for bb7+sd7 levers? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Kit.aspx will i need anything else? are the cables long enough for a full sized mtb HT?
    RH SL Pro

Always Learning
    my Recon SL has Lockout and pretty much all same features as the Recon SL sold as aftermarket retail

lol what a shitty guy/shop hahaha. my lbs guys aren't the best at keeping up to date, but they wont try to sell me a mid 90's fork LOL

but ANYWAY, lets get back to brake levers, is this the kit i'd need and is the best for bb7+sd7 levers? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brake+Kit.aspx will i need anything else? are the cables long enough for a full sized mtb HT?
    Yes, that's the kit you need. The housing and cables are long enough for a full housing run to both the front and the rear brake.

Need a video to easily learn how to set it up yourself? Look here.

BB

Members who have read this thread: 0