Light weight 8inch rotors? My Hayes weigh a ton- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Light weight 8inch rotors? My Hayes weigh a ton

I feel like my Hayes 8 inch rotor weights a ton. I am thinking of grabbing a new rotor and losing a few grams. The Alligator windcutters will save me about 75 grams total (front and rear), but I am worried about losing needed power.

I currently run 8inch front, 6 inch rear. I downhill for about 10% of my riding, so I could switch back to the Hayes for those days, but I do still ride aggressively and need good stopping power. How much power loss can I expect going from the Hayes to the windcutters?

Brakes = Hayes Stroker Ace.
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Don't waste your money

Buy a new bike. There is no performance gain with lighter rotors. Let's say your bike weights 35 lbs. Let's say with gear your weigh 175 lbs. That is a total of 210 lbs.

210 lbs times 450 grams. Now divide by 75 grams and tell me about performance advantages. Don't you feel like an idiot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Here is a thought...you are an idiot.

My current rotors are about 2 years old, beat to ****, no longer true (and have been re-trued several times), and need to be replaced. If I am buying new rotors anyways, why wouldn't I save weight for the same cost? Quarter and half pound savings here and there add up.

Why wouldn't I make smart choices when choosing parts?

Back to the point...anyone switched from Hayes rotors to the Windcutters and notice any significant braking power losses?
    GG Smash

Former Bike Wrench
    The Ashima rotors have been rated quite high for their power and modulation but are very light...might want to check those out.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I love the modulation and power from my front 203mm windcutter, much better than the avid roundagon it replaced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    found this on SICKLINES website.......

Rotors: While the Ashima Windcutter rotors look interesting and weigh less than standard rotors, they do not offer the same performance. We’ve noticed a decrease in overall power and increase in fading from these rotors compared to the stock Formula rotors. This was to be expected with less physical contact area at the brake pad to the rotor. Over extended use on steeper terrain we feel they don’t hold power quite as well but if are looking to make your brakes a little less “grabby” or tone down the power of a brakeset these are worth a shot.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    found this on SICKLINES website.......

Rotors: While the Ashima Windcutter rotors look interesting and weigh less than standard rotors, they do not offer the same performance. We’ve noticed a decrease in overall power and increase in fading from these rotors compared to the stock Formula rotors. This was to be expected with less physical contact area at the brake pad to the rotor. Over extended use on steeper terrain we feel they don’t hold power quite as well but if are looking to make your brakes a little less “grabby” or tone down the power of a brakeset these are worth a shot.
    Found this on...MTBR

"When the terrain becomes technical or steep, and you grab a big chunk of the brake at slower speeds, they can be a bit grabby. However, if you feather them a bit less than they work really well. In fact, the feathering touch that you can get with these rotors is exceptional, and it is really nice in rock gardens and other technical spots where it is nice to check your speed.

Where these rotors come into their own though is on long steep downhills, or anywhere you start to build up some heat on the rotors and calipers. These babies just don’t seem to fade, they just keep ticking along (that noise again) without the slightest inkling of heat buildup. It is a bit freaky sometimes switching back to stock rotors, and doing the same exact long steep section and feel brake loss due to fading issues. The AiRotors just have an unflappable resiliency to fading, call them the heat dissipation Mack Daddy."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Damn all of this controversial info....I may just have to try them out and see.
    GG Smash

Members who have read this thread: 0