Leaky Hope X2's- Mtbr.com

Thread: Leaky Hope X2's

mtbr member

Leaky Hope X2's

I have had a set of Hope Tech x2's for about 2 months now, and overall really like them.
    In the last week or two I have noticed a very small amount of fluid coming from the 2 tiny holes that are in the fluid reservoir covers. Mostly the from the bottom cap, but also the top one. They still work fine at this point, don't seem to be losing a lot of fluid or stopping power, but I'm not sure why fluid would be leaking from there.
    Any one else noticed this?
    "It's our struggles that define us..."

ultra member
    Mine leak a bit also and there is always a thin coating of fluid all over the outside of the brake. I think if you just replace both diaphragms the leaking will stop. Mine also had a terrible factory bleed so they might have been sitting for a while and the stock diaphragms just wore out.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Give them a good bleed. I'm guessing that the diaphragm isn't heated perfectly and a little bit of fluid is leaking past, if someone who didn't know what they were doing bled your brakes, I'm guessing they forgot to roll the diaphragm on instead of just plopping it down. Make sure to watch the bleed video on Hope's website, it'll help make an already easy to bleed brake even easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhinaz
    I have had a set of Hope Tech x2's for about 2 months now, and overall really like them.
    In the last week or two I have noticed a very small amount of fluid coming from the 2 tiny holes that are in the fluid reservoir covers. Mostly the from the bottom cap, but also the top one. They still work fine at this point, don't seem to be losing a lot of fluid or stopping power, but I'm not sure why fluid would be leaking from there.
    Any one else noticed this?

Yep, I'm not sure if mine is from the tiny holes or from the rubber diaphragms, but the leak is very small and seems to only occur when I use the brakes a lot (all day rides). I've taken the covers off and inspected the diaphragms and can't find anything that would cause them to leak. I also made sure I wasn't tightening the covers down too tight. It's a mystery to me too, hopefully others will chime in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Most times it's just a bit of fluid sitting on top of the diaphram that works it's way out with the movement of the diaphram etc. It should stop after a while and is nothing to worry about.

If it continues to weep then just replace the diaphrams.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Members who have read this thread: 0