Koolstop Juicy 5/7?- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride.

Koolstop Juicy 5/7?

I was looking at getting these pads for my Juicy 5's. I have read they can cut down noise.

Anyway what are the durability of these pads?

The particular model I was looking at was the first ones here. Link Model KS-D270.

Thanks for the help.

Oji
    Jun 2008
    I bought two sets of these this past spring as replacements for my Juicy 5 brakes because I wanted to try out "organic" pads vs the scintered metal material. The noise factor decreased, but I found that the softer pads felt too mushy to my hands at the levers, compared with scintered pads. That's certainly a matter of personal preference. One friend sets up his Juicy calipers with one organic and one scintered pad, and gets less noise and better feel at the levers.

Of particular note to your question, the organic pads didn't make it through much of the season. I'm not heavy on the brakes, and was pretty surprised at how quickly one pad in particular got down to 1 mm thick. I might experiment with the "one each" organic and scintered pads idea, but I don't think the organic pads are very durable.

Cliff

Just Ride.
    Thanks Cliff,
    Sorry but what is much of the season in a time frame? Few months?

Thanks again.

Oji
    Jun 2008
    I overhauled my bike around February some time, and one of the pads was shot by July. Those are approximate times but realistic in my experience.

C

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Any brake pad will make noise...its the nature of the beast, riding on dirt and dusty conditions. Kool Stop are good pads. The howl is not as bad as sintered and the life is about 25% less.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Just Ride.
    Alrighty Thanks guys. Looks like I will try these pads out in the next few weeks or so.

Members who have read this thread: 0