b a n n e d

Kinda had it with my X2's

So I've been on an M4(F) / X2 (R) combo, both running 183mm rotors, for a while now. I started with the stock pads, and upgraded to Brake Authority "Aggressive" pads, which are really great (highly recommend these pads by the way) and made a descent improvement in power.

Well, the X2 might be great as an XC brake, but it has always been underpowered for me and what I ride. I'm about 185 geared up and ride hard and fast with extended descents (easily 6+ miles) . . . lets just say my rotors do a LOT of "pinging" when I'm done! The M4 does well enough as a front brake but the X2 is really, really underpowered.

I'm contemplating a switch . . . Hope users, I need your thoughts. Here's my plan:

1) ditch the X2
    2) move the M4 from the front to the rear
    3) get a new V4 for the front

What I want to do though is keep my levers and my SS lines . . . I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to just swap the calipers out, right? Would hopefully save me some coin too . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    You're using an xc brake for beyond xc riding. For descents that long you really need a full set of m4 or a v4 front m4 rear combo. Will let you have greater stopping power so you can be off the brakes some and not on em 100% of the time down the hill keeping them boiling hot. And yeah I had a friend swap calipers and keep his hoses and lever assembly the same.

I did it all for the kudo
    I do allot of similar riding as you here in Colorado, I do extended downhill runs and occasionally use my bike at the DH parks. I would just sell your X2 and put a matching M4 in the rear, this is what I have run for several years on my AM bike and have never had any issues.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, I'm going to call Hope today and see what they can work out for me. The trouble is I have the Special Edition's that have the green bore caps . . . hoping they might be able to sell me a matching caliper.

banned
    Oct 2004

Just a thought...

Edit: This new interface SUCKS! Image embedding via URL is slow as snot!

Anyway, this is what I meant
    Attached Images Attached Images  

b a n n e d
    I don't see the image . . . I'm sure its a great idea though!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Really!? The pic of the green Sharpie isn't there? This friggin' new interface!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    So, just received notice that my Saint M820 caliper arrived today. I'm going to mount it on the front of a set of XTR M988. I'll update you w/ how they feel.
    But from just dinking around w/ the M988s, the mineral oil based grabbers feels...weird...almost a bit TOO light to the point of it feeling...cheap? And, even w/ Goodridge lines, the back never felt like it had a defined stop and I used the Avid bleed method. Point of reference, I'm coming from the perspective a very solidly bled sets of 2011 Code and 2010 Elixir CRs w/ Code front caliper.

Members who have read this thread: 0